Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '16 Z certified pre-owned at a local dealer back in September. I have recently been having problems with my car not starting. I am a student at university, so I leave my car parked on campus for the week then drive home on the weekends. Well last Monday (11/11/2019), I accidentally left my dome lights on when I got out. Needless to say, I walked back to a completely dead car on Friday (11/15/2019) afternoon. I had the campus police give me a jump start so I could drive back home. That weekend, I swapped out my wheels with my winter set that do not have properly paired TPMS sensors (not sure if this matters, but I'll list it anyways). I thought everything was fine until I went to drive back to school on Monday (11/18/2019) morning. When I pressed the ignition button, the car seemed like it tried to start but didn't even fully crank over the engine. The engine more or less just clicked once then error messages came up saying, "Check braking system" and "Check ABS System". I then checked the voltage of the 12v battery and it was somewhere around 10v. I had AAA come give the car a jump and drove it right to the dealer. They ran some tests on the 12v battery and everything came back clear. I drove the car back to school on Tuesday (11/19/2019) evening. I went to leave campus tonight (10/20/2019) and the same problem happened again. At first when I pressed the ignition button, the engine clicked once but didn't start. It also gave me the same warning, "Check ABS System". I then held down the ignition button for a few seconds, then it decided to turn over.

Does anybody have a clue what could be going on?? (because I don't:unsure:)

I will update if I can find the problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
I bought my '16 Z certified pre-owned at a local dealer back in September. I have recently been having problems with my car not starting. I am a student at university, so I leave my car parked on campus for the week then drive home on the weekends. Well last Monday (11/11/2019), I accidentally left my dome lights on when I got out. Needless to say, I walked back to a completely dead car on Friday (11/15/2019) afternoon. I had the campus police give me a jump start so I could drive back home. That weekend, I swapped out my wheels with my winter set that do not have properly paired TPMS sensors (not sure if this matters, but I'll list it anyways). I thought everything was fine until I went to drive back to school on Monday (11/18/2019) morning. When I pressed the ignition button, the car seemed like it tried to start but didn't even fully crank over the engine. The engine more or less just clicked once then error messages came up saying, "Check braking system" and "Check ABS System". I then checked the voltage of the 12v battery and it was somewhere around 10v. I had AAA come give the car a jump and drove it right to the dealer. They ran some tests on the 12v battery and everything came back clear. I drove the car back to school on Tuesday (11/19/2019) evening. I went to leave campus tonight (10/20/2019) and the same problem happened again. At first when I pressed the ignition button, the engine clicked once but didn't start. It also gave me the same warning, "Check ABS System". I then held down the ignition button for a few seconds, then it decided to turn over.

Does anybody have a clue what could be going on?? (because I don't:unsure:)

I will update if I can find the problem.
After you ran the battery dead it never got fully charged. You need to get it on a charger and flip dome light switch to door or off. Once battery is fully charged check voltage and ask dealer to load test it again. Buy a LI-ION jump box keep in car so you can self jump. AAA will only allow so many before they charge and besides on busy nights it can be hours. AAA can load test if it is their battery replacement truck. Some tow trucks can too. They usually test before jump starting.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After you ran the battery dead it never got fully charged. You need to get it on a charger and flip dome light switch to door or off. Once battery is fully charged check voltage and ask dealer to load test it again. Buy a LI-ION jump box keep in car so you can self jump. AAA will only allow so many before they charge and besides on busy nights it can be hours. AAA can load test if it is their battery replacement truck. Some tow trucks can too. They usually test before jump starting.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at li-ion boost packs, so I think its time to buy one. I have about a 40 minute drive to and from school, so I assumed the battery was fully charged but I'll have to check that.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at li-ion boost packs, so I think its time to buy one. I have about a 40 minute drive to and from school, so I assumed the battery was fully charged but I'll have to check that.
There is a weird thing that can happen when you run a battery dead. Batteries are made of cells. If you run it dead one or more cells can reverse polarity and even if you charge it properly it does not reverse back so battery never gets back to full voltage/capacity.

Add to that cold weather which affects capacity and it all adds up to issues.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Additionally the CRZ does not charge the 12v battery as aggressively as most other cars. See when the battery was last replaced, and if the dealer will cover that. The VW christmas tree of lights, especially the ABS and VSA lights when stationary are symptomatic of a weak/underperforming battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The CRZ has issues with the 12v battery. It is a design flaw in my opinion, but Honda will not acknowledge it or correct it. I have left my radio on while cleaning my car. Maybe 15 min or so, and the battery was dead. It is not very forgiving.

Keeping a booster battery on hand is not a bad idea in this car.

For what it is worth, you do not have to buy an expensive battery. I replaced mine with a Lawn & Garden battery from Advanced Auto. It had the same specs. A little smaller dimensions. Hooked it up...works like a charm. I had a coupon and paid 39 bucks for it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 12v in the car basically isn't really sufficient for the job that it needs to do.

If you sit with the lights/stereo on for anything more than a few minutes, leave the car for more than a week or so or you have a 12V that isn't in the best of health then you will get issues starting the car. Any combination of these three will make the problem more obvious.

I refused to replace the battery for a while as I was convinced that it was something else, but you basically just need a good healthy 12V in this car and be diligent with not switching the interior circuits on whilst the engine is off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts