Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just installed a 12.8 Android radio. So far it looks good , doesn't look to big and functions as intended. It actually looks like it it could have come that way from factory. I took one night shot cuz it was late so consider that as a tease pic. Still waiting on the radio antenna harness , back up camera and wire in the steering wheel controls to complete my install but this is how it looks

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so here are some more pics of the HU. I ended up getting the scoche dash kit because it moved the passenger airbag indicator to the bottom of the dash instead of the OEM top location ( I had the stock Navi radio) thus moving the radio up a bit for more clearance. Don't mind the missing hazard switch, currently waiting on a stock radio from a base model to arrive to get the switches. The display slides left and right when in landscape or up and down in portrait and it tilts. I prefer landscape better. If you guys have any questions please ask since the info is still fresh in my mind lol oh and by the way I'm not a pro at radio installs or wiring and I was able to figure it out thanks to some good finds here on the forum, specially when it came to wiring the steering wheel controls into the unit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
You can order just the Hazard switch. I have the non Navigation OEM radio so my hazard switch is at the top( where your mount appears to have a hole for it) and my Passenger Air bag light is at the bottom like yours is. I ordered the Japan red hazard switch here https://www.kamispeed.com/pages/search-results-page?q=hazard+cr-z or you can order an OEM one for a 2016 here https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~switch~assy~hazard~35510-szt-a11.html?Make=Honda&Model=CR-Z&Year=2016&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=2,8;et=2,8)&Location=switch,,5 I checked other years and Honda Parts Now shows discontinued but dealers may have in stock.

The hazard switch is a removable part you should be able to remove it from your factory radio bezel and install it unless that Scoche mount needs the non navigation version.

Ok so here are some more pics of the HU. I ended up getting the scoche dash kit because it moved the passenger airbag indicator to the bottom of the dash instead of the OEM top location ( I had the stock Navi radio) thus moving the radio up a bit for more clearance. Don't mind the missing hazard switch, currently waiting on a stock radio from a base model to arrive to get the switches. The display slides left and right when in landscape or up and down in portrait and it tilts. I prefer landscape better. If you guys have any questions please ask since the info is still fresh in my mind lol oh and by the way I'm not a pro at radio installs or wiring and I was able to figure it out thanks to some good finds here on the forum, specially when it came to wiring the steering wheel controls into the unit.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can order just the Hazard switch. I have the non Navigation OEM radio so my hazard switch is at the top( where your mount appears to have a hole for it) and my Passenger Air bag light is at the bottom like yours is. I ordered the Japan red hazard switch here https://www.kamispeed.com/pages/search-results-page?q=hazard+cr-z or you can order an OEM one for a 2016 here https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~switch~assy~hazard~35510-szt-a11.html?Make=Honda&Model=CR-Z&Year=2016&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=2,8;et=2,8)&Location=switch,,5 I checked other years and Honda Parts Now shows discontinued but dealers may have in stock.

The hazard switch is a removable part you should be able to remove it from your factory radio bezel and install it unless that Scoche mount needs the non navigation version.
Yes I tried to mount both the hazard and airbag indicator but they have different mounting points in the stock Navi unit as supposed to the base radio. Hoping the base radio switches will work for the dash kit. Thanks for the link but I sourced a radio from good ol eBay . Got the entire unit for 35 including the switches. So that's all I'm gonna need the radio for. Seller didn't want to part out the hazard and airbag indicator so had to get the unit as a whole. But not bad for 35

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it works with my phone's hotspot via WiFi. It says it's 3g/4g capable but u would need a Sim card but I didn't see a slot for the Sim card .

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has both but I have an Android phone so I haven't used carplay but they're both built in

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it from AliExpress. There's so many on Amazon, eBay but they don't have or work with Android phones, just apple carplay. The one at AliExpress works with both and built in. Some req a dongle. Mine came with 2 USB ports that I plug my phone in and it works. If u are gonna look into it, make sure u ask alot of questions to the seller whether it has built in Carplay and Android auto or whatever other options them may have for it. Paid 515 total . I was about to order a Kenwood for double the price and went with this one since , to me, it offered more than the simple 7 in display I used to own on my previous car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I got it from AliExpress. There's so many on Amazon, eBay but they don't have or work with Android phones, just apple carplay. The one at AliExpress works with both and built in. Some req a dongle. Mine came with 2 USB ports that I plug my phone in and it works. If u are gonna look into it, make sure u ask alot of questions to the seller whether it has built in Carplay and Android auto or whatever other options them may have for it. Paid 515 total . I was about to order a Kenwood for double the price and went with this one since , to me, it offered more than the simple 7 in display I used to own on my previous car.
The brand for the radio or seller is CARBAR
Thanks for the detail and pricing ! I am on the edge of upgrading and not upgrading lol there are cheaper units out there for $200 or under with carplay. Obviously, the screens aren’t as big on those. Do you also need the steering harness/adapter ?

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had no plans on upgrading my Navi unit but it just so happens that I ran into this item on YouTube for some strange reason lol and that's how I ended up getting it. At first I thought it was too big for the car but after installing it , it definitely looks about right. My main concern was clearance from the display to the base of the unit since our AC controls are so close to it but it clears it just fine. The best thing these Android radios is that u don't need the additional adapters for the steering wheel controls to work. Just tap into two wires and done. Easier said than done because I actually cut the two wires and wired it like that but if I had to do it over I would just tap into them without cutting. The system has a menu to program the vol+/- ch+/- and mode button. It senses the voltage changes and it configures them like that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had no plans on upgrading my Navi unit but it just so happens that I ran into this item on YouTube for some strange reason lol and that's how I ended up getting it. At first I thought it was too big for the car but after installing it , it definitely looks about right. My main concern was clearance from the display to the base of the unit since our AC controls are so close to it but it clears it just fine. The best thing these Android radios is that u don't need the additional adapters for the steering wheel controls to work. Just tap into two wires and done. Easier said than done because I actually cut the two wires and wired it like that but if I had to do it over I would just tap into them without cutting. The system has a menu to program the vol+/- ch+/- and mode button. It senses the voltage changes and it configures them like that.
Well I didn’t know such product exists until I saw your post lol
That’s good to know since the steering adapter is getting so stupid expensive ($50). If I were to do it, I have these splicers called Positaps. They only leave a pin hole on the cable and it’s pretty solid. You can easily reverse it to OEM. That’s pretty cool that the unit has built-in steering settings. Thanks for all the info !!

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I didn't add it but I'm in the process of ordering it so I can add it to see what more functions I can get.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And yes it has the ability to show obd info on screen but that's another option u can add on. Seller states that if there's no options when adding to cart to purchase what options are available and to send them a message to add additional items and just pay the difference

·
Registered
589 Posts
And yes it has the ability to show obd info on screen but that's another option u can add on. Seller states that if there's no options when adding to cart to purchase what options are available and to send them a message to add additional items and just pay the difference
I see. Also they have must increased the price because I can’t anywhere as cheap as $500 lol. They are mostly $600-700 range now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts