Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snapped a few pics today of my MPG so far.

First one is MPG over the life of the car (trip B is equal to the total miles on the car at this point)

Second one is my MPG on the current tank, 100% normal daily driving for me. Typically not trying to eco-drive and a bit of spirited driving mixed in as well.

Third one is my last 3 cycles, this was around town driving, 100% eco mode, light on the throttle, and shifting as close to the up/down light as I can reasonably get. I can't see myself ever getting 50mpg as some of you have... Any of you better MPGer's maybe you can tell me why? All three of these cycles are on reasonably flat roads with speeds of 35-45mpg. Lots of stoplights so 1/2 the time as soon as I get to 45mph I have to slow right back down to a complete stop. A/C on about 70degrees (it's hot and humid today :cry:) Is this just not a situation where I can reasonably see these 50mpg numbers?

I'm not unhappy with the MPG at all overall, just would like to see what I can do...I find it really difficult to top 40mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey fireballer, I have found that the more you stop and start again the milage will tick down. I have taken some advice from a hyper-miler and started looking as far down the road in front of me as possible to anticipate the upcoming lights. By doing so I now only stop at one or two lights out of about a dozen or more. Here's an example, if I see a light turn red down the road I will throw into N let off gas and coast slower to the light, once it turns green stay coasting and very easily depress gas but take longer to get to speed, anytime I'm going down hill I will slowly speed up to about 10 mph over throw into N and coast down to the speed limit. I only do this in cty not on hwy. Just cruise control 100% on hwy. This is what they call "hyper-miling". Although this is not "fun" driving it is a challenging game to try to get the highest milage reading. Good luck...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just cruise control 100% on hwy.
Also if you want to improve your mpgs, drive without the cruise control and a light touch on the throttle. I always can get better fuel economy than with the cruise, but it's more taxing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey fireballer, I have found that the more you stop and start again the milage will tick down. I have taken some advice from a hyper-miler and started looking as far down the road in front of me as possible to anticipate the upcoming lights. By doing so I now only stop at one or two lights out of about a dozen or more. Here's an example, if I see a light turn red down the road I will throw into N let off gas and coast slower to the light, once it turns green stay coasting and very easily depress gas but take longer to get to speed, anytime I'm going down hill I will slowly speed up to about 10 mph over throw into N and coast down to the speed limit. I only do this in cty not on hwy. Just cruise control 100% on hwy. This is what they call "hyper-miling". Although this is not "fun" driving it is a challenging game to try to get the highest milage reading. Good luck...
I may have to try that sometime, will have to go out at midnight or something....I just want 50mpg so I can say I did :thumbsup: During the day there's usually either someone in front of or behind me, and even if I'm in front I'm not willing to piss off all these giant trucks around here that already are riding my a** when I'm going over the speed limit. :spinning:

·
Registered
693 Posts
A few things I have learned while trying to achieve the best gas milage from my 2009 Honda fit.

First, I see you live in Texas and that it is 95 degrees. From that I assume that your A/C runs at full blast most of the time. I have found heavy A/C use can reduce your fuel economy by at least 10%, and as much as 15%. But if I were you I would accept this cost at 95 degrees ambient temperature.

I agree 100% with JnC about not using cruise if you want the best fuel economy. A light touch on the accelerator and letting the speed gradually decline a bit while climbing a grade and coasting down grades in neutral without any braking can help fuel economy dramatically.

The other thing is limiting your cruising speed to 55 mph or less will pay off with better gas mileage. But having driven on the interstates in Texas myself, I can fully understand that this would not be a safe speed with most people blowing by at 75 or 80. Again I would accept the lower fuel economy for the safety and time savings of keeping with the traffic flow speed.

I am very impressed by those who have been able to average 50 mph in their CRZs. When I go out for an extended drive making and all out effort for fuel economy with my fit, I can get to 45 mpg, but I cannot maintain that as an average over an entire tankful. The best I can do for a tank is 42 mpg and my lifetime average is 35 mpg. That is mostly from 1 to 5 mile trips with constant A/C use.

I am expecting the CRZ will get me 40 MPG average under these same driving conditions and driving style. But even with that 5 MPG increase in fuel economy, it will take me 150,000 miles to save enough in fuel costs (at $3.80/gallon) to make up for the approximate additional $2000 cost of the CRZ's IMA system.

Based on the real world fuel economy of the CRZ, I think I would have preferred a non hybrid approach to the CRZ. I think with the fit engine and the 6 speed, I would have been able to get an average of 37 mpg from a non hybrid CRZ. But who knows, maybe I can be one of these 50 MPG folks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah the A/C was on the whole time. 95degrees and really humid today. I was dreading the stoplights because I was trying out Eco and when it autostopped I was cooking. Hopefully it will cool down soon and I will feel like trying a no-AC run.

I don't use cruise control in my normal driving, my trips average 10mi probably and are in the same type of 35-55mph with stoplights. Every road around me is like that with the exception of the freeway which is about 2mi of my trip to work and that's the only time I use it in normal day-to-day activity.

I did use cruise on a 300-ish mile trip at 70-72mph, got about 39mpg. I could tell for sure if I wanted to manually control the throttle I could probably easily boost that a few mpg. I'm not one to annoy everyone else on the road speeding up/slowing down for the sake of a dollar or two saved.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I did use cruise on a 300-ish mile trip at 70-72mph, got about 39mpg. I could tell for sure if I wanted to manually control the throttle I could probably easily boost that a few mpg. I'm not one to annoy everyone else on the road speeding up/slowing down for the sake of a dollar or two saved.
Yes, trying for ultimate fuel economy can be entertaining and it is fun to see what you can achieve, but safety and comfort are worth the few lost MPGs that come with A/C and keeping up with traffic.

Increasing your fuel economy from the 36 MPG you are now at, up to say 40 MPG, will save you a whole 41.6 gallons of gas over the course of 15,000 miles. What is that, a little more than $100 at Texas gas prices. Enjoy your car and be comfortable.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Swat49833 suggestions are correct. I don't do a lot of stop and go but if I do, I planned way ahead by looking farther ahead than I normally would. Stop and go is not great with this CR-Z in my short experience with an open mind to do better. But if you get up to speed or a little over and glide that would probably give you better MPG. I am not someone to pissed anyone on the road nor am I one wants to speed all the time.
When opportunity arise like an incline I used that to my advantage by gliding as much as I can with a very light foot or no pressure on throttle at all. By the way, my AC is always on too. I might heed some suggestion like inflating my tires a little more than the recommended by Honda but not to exceed the recommended max by the tire manufacture. I believed I read somewhere in this forum 45 PSI is max and so just inflate when cold to 40 PSI. Correct me if I am wrong.
I haven't tried this yet cause I know steering and handling may be adversely affected. My hilly commute has yielded reasonable MPG so far but my trip are always more than 30 miles. Good luck in obtaining your goal...I know I will tried to save a pretty stash yearly cause my annual mileage is outrageous. :hi5:
Could have picked up the Insight or Prius but the CR-Z looks way better and I am up to the challenge. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.