Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
you shouldnt over fill your tank or you will screw up your tank's gas carbon vapor emission filter. It will get saturated with fuel and isnt good. After i get one click i round up to the nearest quarter and get it done with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I fill mine all the way to the top of the bottom of the column so I can see the gas in the fill tube. I've only filled it 3 times in two months, yeah, but I've put in 10.4, 10.6 and 10.2 WHICH is scary since the tanks holds 10.6 BUT the gas warning light just came on in every case. So basically when warning light comes on I got at best, 10 miles until empty. This is starting to bother me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't think I've ever put in more than 10 gallons. Though I'm a single click sort of dude, once it goes off, I slap the gas cap on and call it done.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I fill mine all the way to the top of the bottom of the column so I can see the gas in the fill tube. I've only filled it 3 times in two months, yeah, but I've put in 10.4, 10.6 and 10.2 WHICH is scary since the tanks holds 10.6 BUT the gas warning light just came on in every case. So basically when warning light comes on I got at best, 10 miles until empty. This is starting to bother me.
I don't think that you are drawing a valid conclusion or following a wise practice in fueling up you car.

The fuel tank has a capaicity of 10.3 gallons, the fill tube probably holds another 1/4 to 1/2 gallon, the vapor control system which has containers to retain vapors from your gasoline and feed them back into the tank, probably hold another 1/4 gallon. So from these additional cavities, that are not intended to be "filled" with fuel, it might be possible to put more than 11 gallons into a completely empty tank.

But keep in mind these additional cavities are there to reduce the emissions from your car and for safety. Filling them up with gasoline to ensure, your car is "topped off" is not a good idea and can damage these emission control systems.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
But keep in mind these additional cavities are there to reduce the emissions from your car and for safety. Filling them up with gasoline to ensure, your car is "topped off" is not a good idea and can damage these emission control systems.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Silly question: what is the reasoning behind the recommendation to always keep a fuel tank more than half full?:dunno:
To avoid condensation water.
That is true......however...

Water condensation isnt a big problem like it used to be in the old
days of cars with steel gas tanks that would rust internally if they sat empty
for too long. Those rust deposits would make your fuel system run like crap.

These days we have thick plastic gas tanks.....no rust!!!
And any water condensation would eventually just be thinned out the next
time you filled your tank with fresh gas. So it's not really a huge problem anymore.
We're talking a few drops of water into a tank with 10 gallons of gas....very minimal...

·
Registered
99 Posts
You are forgetting that the crap they sell for gasoline these days contains ethanol and that it has an affinity for absorbing water from the atmosphere.

I am lucky that the local gas stations have the option of stocking 100% pure ethanol free gasoline and I will travel 10 miles to buy and use it if necessary.

My diesel dually is always kept full for the same reason, draining water from the separator has gone down to 10% of what I used to do it since keeping the tanks topped off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now that I've had multiple fuel-ups, I'm drawing a consistent conclusion namely, that when DTE reaches less than 10 and only one bar remains on the fuel guage, I still cannot put more than 10 gallons in the tank. And I top-off as best as possible with today's vapor recovery caps and all. Last two fuel-ups: DTE 6,2; Fuel added: 10.002; 10.007. Without re-opening the debate about whther it's a good idea to add more fuel than the rated capacity, my question is: has anyone actually had a fuel-up of more than 10 gallons? Thnx,

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I dont know hwo you guys can drive on empty for so long or maybe my light comes on prematurely cuz everytime I fill up I put approx 8 1/2 gallons in till it clicks and I am back at full tank....ussually my gas pump bill is around 32 dollars pretty consistant at that atually

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont know hwo you guys can drive on empty for so long or maybe my light comes on prematurely cuz everytime I fill up I put approx 8 1/2 gallons in till it clicks and I am back at full tank....ussually my gas pump bill is around 32 dollars pretty consistant at that atually
That is probably about where mine would be if I stopped right away when the light comes on. I usually put an additional 15-30 miles from the time of seeing the low fuel light come on in which case it is right under around 9 gallons. I live out in the middle of nowhere so a quick pull over is not an option a lot of times.

·
Registered
113 Posts
hhmm interesting cuz i was wondering how many more MPG's (on average) do we get when the light comes on when 2 bars are left.. i usually just play it safe and fill it up when it lights up.

so, technically how much more miles can we get from those 2 bars?

·
Registered
128 Posts
you shouldnt over fill your tank or you will screw up your tank's gas carbon vapor emission filter.
Does anyone know when this started? It used to be you would fill the tank up to the top of the filler neck, just so you would know exactly how much gas you have. This is especially true due to the differing pressure cut-offs at the pump. (If you always stopped at the same gas station and used the same pump, you had a better chance of getting the same amount of gas, but if someone was using that particular pump, you would have to wait.)

I personally have had a difference of more than a gallon between 'first click' stops while traveling. That is the difference between making it to the next station because the last two have been closed versus waiting for the AAA truck to arrive with a gas can. (Of course, it is better to stop early and avoid the risk; but when I am not on the interstate, it might be the better part of 100 miles between open stations at night.)

Plus, not knowing exactly how much gas remains in the tank before a fill-up makes the efficiency of little experiments harder to calculate. (For example, I am seeing if I can drive my car in Sport mode with the CVT in manual 100% of the time, but still get close to the same mileage as when it is in Econ mode...) Of course, if the computer's built-in MPG average of the current trip-meter are accurate, I can use those; but I have not convinced myself that they are as accurate as dividing miles driven by gallons added.

So, what do I do? Should I continue topping the tank off (as my father, who owns a 2003 Pilot, always does), or take pity on the carbon vapor emission filter?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.