Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought home my CRZ EX Auto (no nav) last night. Loving it so far.

Apologies if this is a common problem, but I couldn't find anything useful on search:
I can't get HandsFreeLink to work. I push the HFL Talk button, and the MID changes to "HANDSFREELINK" and.. nothing. No beep, no soothing tutorial, nothing. I say "Phone Setup" anyway. Nothing. I push it again (still no beep) and say "Pair", just for kicks. Nothing.

Any ideas?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

Apologies if this is a common problem, but I couldn't find anything useful on search:
I can't get HandsFreeLink to work. I push the HFL Talk button, and the MID changes to "HANDSFREELINK" and.. nothing. No beep, no soothing tutorial, nothing. I say "Phone Setup" anyway. Nothing. I push it again (still no beep) and say "Pair", just for kicks. Nothing.

Any ideas?
Your "Honda" dealer should of walked you through all the options and even set up your phone (s) to work with the handsfree system before you drove off the lot. Could speculate on the issue (Volume?) but if your close to the dealer, you can go back and get them to help set everything up.

Colin??

·
Registered
669 Posts
[scratches head] Try turning on the radio so you can hear something playing. Press and release HFL button and see what happens. (radio should mute). Other than that, I'd say a return to the dealer is likely. Maybe check the fuses first?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Your "Honda" dealer should of walked you through all the options and even set up your phone (s) to work with the handsfree system before you drove off the lot. Could speculate on the issue (Volume?) but if your close to the dealer, you can go back and get them to help set everything up.

Colin??

Haha, I can't figure out why you put "Honda" in quotes.

You know, my dealer didn't set up anything on my car... I swear it was the fastest in-n-out I've ever done on a new car purchase. I think I spent a longer time buying my bicycle than I did to get the CR-Z.

·
Registered
669 Posts

You know, my dealer didn't set up anything on my car... I swear it was the fastest in-n-out I've ever done on a new car purchase. I think I spent a longer time buying my bicycle than I did to get the CR-Z.
LOL, my salesman didn't set anything up for me. He kinda said, 'you know how all this stuff works right?' (I do since I sell em at Acura).

·
Registered
136 Posts
LOL, my salesman didn't set anything up for me. He kinda said, 'you know how all this stuff works right?' (I do since I sell em at Acura).
same here, my sale rep. even asked me to go back and show them after i discover most of the functions as they don't really know all the tricks for the car.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
same here, my sale rep. even asked me to go back and show them after i discover most of the functions as they don't really know all the tricks for the car.
IMO, that is unsat. Tis - in part - why the descriptive "Stealership" is used.

Any one who is purchasing a car should make sure that when they dealership preps your car after buying it and giving you the keys, takes the time to go over all the details to include pairing your phone, demonstrating all the NAVI options along with any other questions you may have etc... It is their job and Honda policy to do it. Colin can chime in if I a wrong on this...

But for some dealerships, you may have to ask as opposed to being provided the service. Giving the dealership the benefit of the doubt, a new owner should make sure they ask for this service prior to driving off the lot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Sales Rep AND one of the managers both sat in my car with me for a good 30min or longer and wouldn't let me leave till i understood EVERYTHING, and yes, they paired my phone for me before leaving also.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
My Sales Rep AND one of the managers both sat in my car with me for a good 30min or longer and wouldn't let me leave till i understood EVERYTHING, and yes, they paired my phone for me before leaving also.
That is the way it is supposed to work.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Any ideas?
Hi forty2j,

Welcome,

Hope the following helps...

HandsFreeLink

Pics?

-Roger

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[scratches head] Try turning on the radio so you can hear something playing. Press and release HFL button and see what happens. (radio should mute). Other than that, I'd say a return to the dealer is likely. Maybe check the fuses first?
Fascinating. It mutes the radio, but doesn't beep or respond to the voice command. The HFL Back button resumes the radio.

I'm not really a DIY-er (especially with cars :) ), so I wouldn't even know where to look for the fuses! I do have some time set up with the dealer on Monday, but I was hoping it was a quick fix by pushing 3 buttons at the same time or something.

·
Registered
669 Posts
^^ If you're going in tomorrow anyway, have them look at it then. If you're really curious, you might look in the Maintenance Journal that they gave you. There is a dealer PDI checklist where the mechanic tested the systems in the car. I believe (now 100% sure) that the bluetooth system should have been tested before the car was turned over to sales. Not that it makes it work or not work, but it's always interesting (to me at least) to see if they techs actually TEST the things they check off.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi forty2j,

Welcome,

Hope the following helps...

HandsFreeLink

Pics?

-Roger
Thanks.. I had checked the website as well, it had nothing useful, except the # to call which was conveniently closed on Saturdays. I'll see what the dealer says today.

I'm not a modder, so if you grab the stock Silver pic from Honda's website, that's me :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're really curious, you might look in the Maintenance Journal that they gave you. ... Not that it makes it work or not work, but it's always interesting (to me at least) to see if they techs actually TEST the things they check off.
I was curious, so I looked. And the checklist was completely blank. Whether anything was tested, I'm not sure, but there's certainly no history of it..

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was curious, so I looked. And the checklist was completely blank. Whether anything was tested, I'm not sure, but there's certainly no history of it..
They had to do something cause the cars ship with many fuses missing. (things like power windows etc.) Its unfortunate that they didn't fill out the checklist cause it makes it hard to tell if they missed something. Sounds like some shortcuts were taken, you never should have left without having the phone paired there, and then you would have noticed it wasn't working properly. Not your fault, but I'd be interested in hearing what they do when you're there. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
609 Posts

My dealership was like this ^ too. And I spend MUCH more time bike shopping as fit is more crucial!

Actually the internet sales lady had never been in the CRZ before. I asked if she had driven one herself and she said only mine to take it back to "makeready" after I arranged to buy it (and she commented it was her first time driving a stick :eek:hmy:). She asked if I had any questions and commented I prob. knew more about the car than she did. I didn't have anyone to drive it home and wasn't trading in a car, so took a lowboy hooked to my diesel truck to haul it the 200 miles home, so then had plenty of time to look it over and become familiar with everything before actually doing any real driving. But had I asked her anything, she did indicate someone was there that would help me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:sadwavey:

So here is my update, such as it is.

I went to to dealership yesterday for three things:
1. XM Radio install
2. Second master key
3. Get bluetooth fixed

I left the dealership yesterday with:
1. No XM Radio
2. No second master key
3. No working bluetooth

Because:
1. They had the wrong radio. They thought I needed a POS dash-mounted radio. They had no idea there was a Honda radio that lived in the glove box that worked with the factory head unit, and they didn't have that radio in stock.
2. They didn't have a single blank key that they could cut for me.
3. They have no idea what's wrong with the HFL, and they need the car for a full day and to get on the phone with Honda and try to work it out.

They did try pulling the fuse on the HFL to reset it, but that didn't accomplish anything unfortunately. They've never seen anything like this before. (For reference, they've also never done an XM install on a CR-Z before.)

So, they've ordered a radio, they've ordered a key, and Thursday morning I give them they car and they give me a loaner and hopefully everything will be sorted by the time I get off work...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.