Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, using 0w-20 naturally costs more. I found out that using 0w-20 seems to only benefit with cold starts and in COLD areas. I live in florida. It hardly if ever gets below 32F here. Right now, it's about 80 outside, while snowing in new england area. Anyway, there's not much of a difference between 0w and 5w. Other than a slight thickness. The delearship pissed me off so much today, that I went to another place for the first time ever in years. We got in a spat about how often to change the oil in the crz and naturally they say 5k or less. *lol* I told them I follow the manual and they pretty much said the manual is useless. Riggghhht...

So, I drove by a Sonic Lube and they didnt offer 0w, but 5w. I talked to the guy there and they have a customer who owns a prius and he's been using 5w-20 for years in his prius. I did some research online and seems that that 5w should be okay. I went ahead and did the swap to 5w and now I'm just seeing how the car responds. If it responds badly and I get bad fuel economy. Ill switch back to 0w. Now granted the manual says 0w-20, and I am following the manual up to this point, but most places dont do 0w20 w/o rapping you in price or not even having it.

What are your guys' thoughts?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I bought 5qt bottle of mobil1 full synt. 0w20 for $24.xx at walmart. I dont think thats too much for 14000kms oil chanage.
I think with all the autostop and features of our car, i would stick with 0w20. Im sure you wont have trouble now but i see longterm issues

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've always read the benefit of the full synthetic oil is reduced friction which translates into better fuel economy. However if your not noticing much if any change then the cost savings with 5W oil may be worthwhile.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I will see how it runs. It seems to be shutting off and on just fine. Maybe i'm not noticing the subtle differences yet and it's too early to notice any long term issues. But for the peace of mind with the car, I may end up going back to 0w-20 at next oil change.

·
Registered
675 Posts
dont be cheap or gamble saying "it might be okay". stick with what the manual requires. if the places you go to doesnt have 0w-20, then order online and bring your oil to the shop.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont be cheap or gamble saying "it might be okay". stick with what the manual requires. if the places you go to doesnt have 0w-20, then order online and bring your oil to the shop.
Sorry, I was heated from the delearship. But I will go this route next time. Im not trying to be "cheap". I wudve spent the 50 bucks for the change. I already had an appointment, but I got pissed while I was there making it and them telling me how to service my own car. Usual service gimicks and 3000k mile BS. They didnt like when i quoted the manual telling me when to service my car. So I just left. Anyway, it's early enough in the game to change back. :)

You guys gave me the info I needed. Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sorry, I was heated from the delearship. But I will go this route next time. Im not trying to be "cheap". I wudve spent the 50 bucks for the change. I already had an appointment, but I got pissed while I was there making it and them telling me how to service my own car. Usual service gimicks and 3000k mile BS. They didnt like when i quoted the manual telling me when to service my car. So I just left.

You guys gave me the info I needed. Thanks
nah my bad bro, i wasnt trying to point out that youre cheap haha. sorry if i offended you. HAHA.
btw same here, i went to the stealership, and told me the same thing about doing some minor service crap thing that i have to do. $69.99 for tirerotation, checking sparkplugs etc etc + $45.99 for oil + tax.....they told me that if i didnt do the minor service, then i would be in danger of voiding warranty for rejecting the service.. so i left and i LITERALLY told them word to word "that their minor service rules are ****ing retarded.."
heck no am i gonna pay $69.99 for a minor service +$45.99 for my oil. many places do at least 40-50 that does oil in "synthetic" and a free check up all around + tire rotation. LOL

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nah my bad bro, i wasnt trying to point out that youre cheap haha. sorry if i offended you. HAHA.
btw same here, i went to the stealership, and told me the same thing about doing some minor service crap thing that i have to do. $69.99 for tirerotation, checking sparkplugs etc etc + $45.99 for oil + tax.....they told me that if i didnt do the minor service, then i would be in danger of voiding warranty for rejecting the service.. so i left and i LITERALLY told them word to word "that their minor service rules are ****ing retarded.."
heck no am i gonna pay $69.99 for a minor service +$45.99 for my oil. many places do at least 40-50 that does oil in "synthetic" and a free check up all around + tire rotation. LOL
Yea, right on!:thumbsup: It's all good.
I know exactly how you feel! They service guy was telling me that Honda Engineers say 5k miles and that the manual shouldnt be followed. I'm like, wha!!?? You've gotta be joking. Pifft, tools. :p

·
Registered
675 Posts
yup^ ditto. i used to have an 06 accord, and i jss 29.99 oil change deal. but everytime i went they tried to mock you for not doing the service crap while i got it oilchanged. and now im seriously over it... im never going there unless i have something to fix with warranty.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
they make the most money out of those service bays. the jokers in there were trying to take you for a ride.
Yep.. I just ignore them when they talk about 3-5K oil changes. It is their business and don't make that much money if you only come in once every 6-10 months. Just take it for what it is = their sales pitch - livelyhood.. I always just smile and politely agree but don't come back until it is needed.

Highly recommend 0w20synth over 5 dino... Same a previous post - autostop/start... and the length of time you keep the oil in if using the minder. But, you are not going to damage your car with the dino 5w20... Just keep an eye on how it looks over time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I agree with all above. 0w20 as recommended by manual. Hey, we all need to make money but apparently they will have a hard time making more from us. :)

I recommend the DIY route if you have the facility to do so. This car takes less then 4 qt (3.8 qt US or 3.6 L per quote from manual to be exact) to change each time with filter. To be safe, I take my time and always check the dipstick for safe level.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its easy to get annoyed at a dealership. One time they did the ol' show you how dirty your fluids look trick, and told me I needed to have my oil changed. I acted like I believed them and asked the service writer for a complementary oil change, with CLEAN oil, because the guy "over there" just told me I needed an oil change so that means the one they did for me last week was faulty!

They have to be hating these longer service intervals!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, i almost laughed when they told me 5k miles. I thought it was comical when they said, dont listen to the manual. Like it was bogus. The same engineers that he claimed said not to listen to the manual wrote the manual. Riiiight. I'm like I cant believe they said that too still. It's like you can't ever win with these guys. I almost said you guys want me to come in that often just to make money more often. *lol* But I didnt wanna lower myself to their level.

Then they hit me with rotating my tires. I'm like..dont touch my tires. :angry:

I mean I want the best for my car. I dont wanna make the same silly mistakes I made with the prelude trying to save a buck or two. Sad thing is that i dont have a DIY facility. Otherwise I would. But I get what you guys are saying. Appreciate the quick responses.

In the meantime I will keep an eye out on the level and overall performance of the car while under 5w-20. But plan to go back to 0w-20 next change.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I support all the advice that has been made concerning using synthetic 0w-20 if that is what the manufacturer recommends and changing it at the interval recommended by the manufacturer. But I do still have the same question that the OP posed of, is 0w-20 required in warm weather climates where the temperature will never even approach freezing or would 5w-20 suffice?

Here is a website that explains oil viscosity in laymen's terms Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

I have bought into the idea that the extra benefit of faster flow in cold start up makes 0w-20 worthwhile, but I do wonder what is the actual difference in flow at an ambient cold start temperature of say 50 degrees F or greater? Based on the testing criteria, both oils flow the same at 210 degrees F and the 0w oil flows slightly better at -22 degrees F.

Obviously, the recommendation from the manufacturer has to take into account a very wide range of operating temperatures, but for those of us living in climates with a very narrow range of ambient temperatures, I seriously doubt that there is any measurable performance difference between 0w-20 and 5w-20.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yup^ ditto. i used to have an 06 accord, and i jss 29.99 oil change deal. but everytime i went they tried to mock you for not doing the service crap while i got it oilchanged. and now im seriously over it... im never going there unless i have something to fix with warranty.
Even with warranty issues you can avoid these jerks.
You don't have to go there.
With warranty you can go to ANY Honda dealer and they HAVE to perform the work.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I look at it this way - most likely more than half of your stopping/starting of the engine will be from Autostop. Autostop happens when your engine is at temp; most of your driving and usage of the engine will be while the engine is at temp. If the engineers who built it recommend 0W, then there's a good reason for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.