7th Annual Tail of the Dragon (2019) - Page 3 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Super Duper Member

I was more or less just giving him crap in relation to a youtube video I saw where he posted a comment about someones hair metal driving gloves.

I'm not going to the meet, nor am I racing on their roads. Last thing I wanna do to enjoy myself is drive some highly populated road in a place where police are probably loving to screw with out-of-staters.

No thanks.. I got better ways to enjoy my vacation time!!

But yeah, any type of racing on the streets is a bad idea. No thanks on that! Don't need any tickets, court summons, or damaged cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd Carter View Post
I should probably clarify what I mean by "race" I don't mean side by side what I mean Is closer to a time trial, only passing by "legal" means, drag is for posers, side by side racing on any backcountry road around here is a death sentence and I'm not an ******* there are rules I follow when racing or spirited driving on public roads and would expect anyone racing me follow them or they forfeit
I didn't mean "side by side," and that never entered my mind, but you get the idea:
The pictures I posted were the results of going off the road, each driver in a one-car "race" and reminded of the law(s) of physics. Just drilling home the point that there's a yellow line on the left; a white line on the right. Drive as you will, but keep it within those boundaries, and look out for those drivers coming the other way, whom may not be following such guidelines.

This is not a comment on you in particular, but only in regards to the main point in going to the Dragon. For me, at least, it's to meet up with other CR-Z owners to get to know them and check out what--if anything--they've done with their cars. (And preferably, "done with their cars," doesn't entail the story of what led up to their CR-Z being loaded on a flat-bed.)
CuteZ and Spdbump like this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
I didn't mean "side by side," and that never entered my mind, but you get the idea:
The pictures I posted were the results of going off the road, each driver in a one-car "race" and reminded of the law(s) of physics.
This showcases a lack of skill rather than the act of racing
Quote:
Just drilling home the point that there's a yellow line on the left; a white line on the right. Drive as you will, but keep it within those boundaries, and loo Ik out for those drivers coming the other way, whom may not be following such guidelines.
I do have many rules I personally follow when racing or spirited driving but I wouldn't judge others for not following some of them but I do have a set of rules I expect anyone I'm associating with and especially racing to follow and this is in the top 3, I couldn't agree more

Quote:
This is not a comment on you in particular, but only in regards to the main point in going to the Dragon.
I didn't take offense to it , in fact that was part of the point I was making, but I would argue its a universal rule and should be followed any time you get in a car regardless of what you are doing
I'm typing on a on-screen keyboard so I can't type a lot which is why I didn't say it the way you did but figured during the meet I could let my driving do the talking and answer any questions anyone had about this in person

To put it simply I welcome any challengers but will refuse anyone who cant drive or is willing to put others in harms way by not following safety rules and anyone currently racing me that does not follow this automatically forfeits and I will immediately stop the race and refuse to associate with them, I don't narc but will not put myself in harms way over a race and don't have tolerance for people who are willing to "act a fool" on public roads this is due to both safety and image, spirited driving and street racing isn't necessarily dangerous on its own but when unskilled *******s do it it almost always ends badly and is usually highly publicized and used as proof as why any street racing or spirited driving should be banned which has had wide-ranging effects such as lower speed limits, higher legal penalties, judgment, as well as things like banning some performance mods and reduction of the car scene and legal meets
I'm not a square by any means and often reach 70+ mph speeds when spirited driving, but I'm also highly skilled, experienced, hyperaware and follow all logical safety rules
Accidents do happen sure but factors related to racing/spirited driving such as speed are force multipliers and not causes when done by skilled and respectful drivers and part of what makes someone skilled enough for these activities is understanding this
or simply put racing isn't any more dangerous than normal driving when done by skilled drivers but no matter how skilled you are you can't force others to drive safely or correctly and cannot prevent accidents but you can handle more speed and even prevent some accidents caused by poor driving on your part but if you do get in an accident its more likely to cause massive damage than if you where not racing/spirited driving

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Garage
I think I should also note I haven't had an accident due to me spirited driving in over ten years, the only accident I have had due to this was as a stupid unskilled teenager
I have been in more than one accident since then inc a tc all 100 percent not at fault, that accident as a teenager changed my perspective and "scared me straight" if you will and as such I practiced and researched proper driving and since then prevented many accidents from poor drivers, prevented a few accidents I was in from being fatal and have not been in an at-fault or partial fault accident since then also inc single car accidents unless you count popped tires from potholes
This is why I see what litz posted as occurring from lack of skill and why I feel the way I do about all aspects of driving inc racing/spirited driving
I drive A LOT due to where I live and travel a lot and as such have a considerable amount of driving experience for someone my age due to this and a very low total accident count for the number of miles I've driven
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:43 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd Carter View Post
I should probably clarify...
I think I should also note...
Just when I was starting to like you. 😉
litz likes this.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
Just when I was starting to like you. 😉
Its a curse, everyone loves me,....
litz likes this.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:03 PM

I recently got in an accident from spirited driving... Not me driving, not was in my car. It's always unskilled teens/tweens thinking they're way better than their skill level... Mistakes happen yeah but... Oh God :O

I was expecting my cousin to try to correct his understeer but noo... Looked like deer caught in headlights. I'm pretty sure the experience humbled him after a 5 figure fine.

I came out fine but let's just say I had to climb out the car like CJ from San Andreas.

As for the Dragon... Holy that FAR from Mississauga. One day I'll do the drive when I won't be fretting about gas money (aka in 2 years time)
litz and 96firephoenix like this.

Your nurse in training
are you in Ontario or Québec?
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:48 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamarskii View Post
It's always overconfident drivers of any age thinking they're way better than their skill level... Mistakes happen yeah but...
Fixed it for you. 🙂
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Yep. Tail of the Dragon is a place where you want to have fun on the road, but it's definitely not a place to be actually racing. Not only will it chew you up and spit you out, but unlike a race track, there are people going the other direction at the same time.

Let me repeat that: There are people going the other direction at the same time.
Looks like a PSA to not enter the tail of the dragon

Ah it looks like this year I will not go.. I plan to return to TOTD with my FC3S
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:27 PM

From my trek out there last month to break in the new rubber, the second half of the Foothills Parkway to Pigeon Forge was brand new Asphalt and Smooth as can be. It was surprisingly crowded considering I only got passed by a pair of Porsche with red hot rotors, and didn't have a car in front of me for the west run down the Tail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode