11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Decreased MPG

In the past couple weeks, on my daily commute which is 110 miles each way, my avg mpg has decreased to 32, normal is 39, 37 on a bad day, 41 on a good day (if the wind is at my back).
Checked tire pressure, air filter, plugs were replaced about 7K ago.
Yesterday and today tried looking at the different speeds vs RPM and what the mpg is.
I was getting decent mpg at 55 and below in 6th gear low rpms. At 75 rpms are over 3k and mpg seems to suck at 31 to 32.
So was wondering about the PCV valve and what the symptoms would be if it was bad. I know it can cause bad gas mileage, had that happen in my Ranger, would it get worse at higher rpms, but better at lower rpms because of the pressure being created?
Also looked up the valve online and it looks different than what I am used to. Has anyone changed one yet?
Ive had this car since 2013, and this is the 1st hiccup in my mpg. (Close to 260K on the odometer)
No major maintenance yet just normal items valve clearance adjustments, plugs, belts, oil, filters etc
Meant to throw in also no CEL or codes

2013 CRZ EX 6MT

Last edited by Gambolt; 02-15-2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Elite Member

31 sounds about right for cruising at 75. Especially if you're in ECON mode, which suuuuuucks on the highway. the Ideal speed seems to be somewhere around 65 for these cars. There was a guy on here a while ago that was using his crz for something like perimeter road patrol at a constant 35 mph, getting in the 50-60 mpg range, but that's not practical for other drivers.

Another thing to consider is environmental influences. A cold snap will hurt your mpg. Especially if you idle your car to warm it up. Even idling through a drive-through instead of letting the auto-stop kill the engine while you wait can knock 2 mpg off of a tank.

Keep it under 70 and you'll see a little closer to the 38 mark. PCV valve might be bad at 260k, but i'd look at driving habits before you go buying parts. try Sport mode if you have to be moving faster than 70

Anecdotally, I've noticed a bit less of an mpg penalty at higher speeds with the GE8 intake manifold. cruising at 75-80 puts me only down to 35 instead of 31.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! Ive had mine go down to 35 before depending weather, rain, headwind, etc just not down this far to 31 avg consistently over a couple weeks in the 5 years I've owned it. 99% of the time I stay in normal mode. Going to try the PCV valve and see what happens its not expensive maybe its clogged with oil.
96firephoenix likes this.

2013 CRZ EX 6MT

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 AM
Deputy Forum Librarian

Garage
Keep us posted on your findings.

For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Will do, will probably get to it in a few days if it warms up. just downloaded the repair manual to figure out how to get to it and will check the line also to make sure it doesn't have any cracks also
supercrz likes this.

2013 CRZ EX 6MT
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:22 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
My best mileage seems to be at 50~55, but jimmy crack corn. Gas is cheap for now.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Well, accomplished a few things since last post, so didn't drive it much. Replaced the struts, brakes, had an alignment which btw after all these years was only 1/16 toe adjustment.
So replaced the PCV valve yesterday. Drove it right after for about 10 miles down the 65 mph road and back the 10 miles. Its a hilly drive. I had reset the mpg indicator and ended up with 39 mpg when I got back, was happy.
But this morning driving to work, never got over 36.5 and ended up with 35.5 after the 110 miles.
Think Ill try new plugs, see if the MAF is dirty, and maybe replace fuel filter and clean the injectors?

2013 CRZ EX 6MT
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambolt View Post
Well, accomplished a few things since last post, so didn't drive it much. Replaced the struts, brakes, had an alignment which btw after all these years was only 1/16 toe adjustment.

So replaced the PCV valve yesterday. Drove it right after for about 10 miles down the 65 mph road and back the 10 miles. Its a hilly drive. I had reset the mpg indicator and ended up with 39 mpg when I got back, was happy.

But this morning driving to work, never got over 36.5 and ended up with 35.5 after the 110 miles.

Think Ill try new plugs, see if the MAF is dirty, and maybe replace fuel filter and clean the injectors?

Where’s the pcv valve ???? Do you have the part number by any chance ?

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Oreillys had this Standard Intermotor PCV Valve
Part # V568 Line: STI

to get to it take off the panel below the engine and it's right there on the bottom of the front side front side of the engine. the screw and the valve are positioned to come straight down. 5 minute change

2013 CRZ EX 6MT
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

btw it doesnt look like a normal PVC valve I am used to. No hose attachments.

2013 CRZ EX 6MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in