Whatís draining my starter battery? - Page 2 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 AM
Super Duper Member

Personally I feel remote start is more trouble than it is worth. Even if a dealer sells it it may not be the one Honda made for the car and all you are doing is adding more things that can cause problems in the car. Many articles have been written about not warming a car up. If you want the best Fuel economy just get in the car and drive gently for the first few miles. Idling the car just causes wear for no reason. But your car your choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:12 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Many articles have been written about not warming a car up. If you want the best Fuel economy just get in the car and drive gently for the first few miles. Idling the car just causes wear for no reason. But your car your choices.
The reason most people want a remote start has nothing to do with any perceived benefit to the car. It's simply so they don't have to get into a freezing car in the winter and a sweltering one in the summer. And most of those that do try to claim it's for the car's benefit are just telling lies to you, themselves and the car.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY RED View Post
Can you please provide more information where the 2016 CVT CR-Z remote start was available, I need to have it added to my Z.

I went on vacation for 12 days in November and when I got back my Z would not start, after jump starting it then I have had no issues to date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
In other words, contact your nearest and/or preferred Honda dealership.
I may be wrong about that... It might have been the local dealer I saw offering it on new CRZs, and I just assumed... either way it was 3 years ago...

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:11 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
I may be wrong about that... It might have been the local dealer I saw offering it on new CRZs, and I just assumed... either way it was 3 years ago...
The answer is still the same, best chance for a kit intended by Honda for the CR-Z is through a Honda dealer. If there is one They'll even install it for you. Yes, it will be expensive. You can get an aftermarket universal kit(Viper, etc) just about anywhere, and usually much cheaper, even with paying for install elsewhere. But with our car's finicky electrical/electronic systems, there may be added work-arounds that are needed and may cause issues down the road.
96firephoenix likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Super Duper Member

What is more important than who makes the remote starter or alarm or any electrical item you add to a car is the quality of the installation and wiring done. I have discussed this on this forum before but I have met so called professionals who just twist wires together or use crimps but leave bare wire hanging out of the connector etc.

Many of the items that are "Honda" are actually made by some third party and are all pretty much the same as any other aftermarket you can buy. Any time you have to cut a wire and connect something else in you take a chance on destroying the factory harness and inserting more potential points of Failure into your vehicle.

On a previous car I had a car maker branded alarm installed in the car by the dealer and eventually had to have it removed and the harness replaced because of all the issues it caused. I owned that car from new for 16 years and was its only owner till I sold it privately.

Think long and hard about how much you want what ever it is and how much you are willing to affect the reliability of your vehicle.

I have seen but have not researched systems that can be installed by not cutting any wires they have male female connectors that allow these systems to be inserted into an existing connection. Also remember all remote starters/alarms need a bypass put in to disable the anti theft systems in your car ( usually one of your keys in a box under the dash where thieves know to look).

All of this is my opinion based on experiences I have had and many vehicles I have had experience with and a lot of wiring and electrical experience.

As always your car your money your choices.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomseeley View Post
... Nothing added other than I had the Honda dealer put in a Sirius sat radio receiver so I can use my existing subscription. But that doesnít stay on when I turn off the engine, so I doubt that could be draining the battery. Thx for reminding me of that though.

As of Thursday, Jan 3, Honda is continuing to try to figure this all out.
Hey Tom, what did Honda say after they took a look at it?

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode