Glove Box stuck closed - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Glove Box stuck closed

Hello, I went to grab my USB cable out of my glove box this morning and it wouldn't open. The handle swings free and is not attached to the latching mechanism anymore. I have a 2012. Has this happened to anyone? Is there a good diagram somewhere of the latching mechanism so I can try to jimmy it open? I tried prying at all sides of the door but that latch keeps it tightly closed. I was running late for work so I only gave it 10 minutes or so, I'll give it more effort tonight. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM

Garage
I dont have any awnsers for you but im curious. ill look into it after work. Get back to us if you fix it!

A Life with regrets is not a life I choose to live...

Just me and Lola getting by with what we got and enjoying every corner along the way
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Do you have a hammer?

If not, an axe will also do.

Jk, taking apart that part of dash will cause tons of squeaking. So before you dive in with a screw driver, try everything else possible.

"Answers are easy, it's asking the right questions that is hard." -Third Doctor
Leitz's Build Thread|CBP 6MT EX '11

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Elite Member

Garage
That latch has quite a strong spring on the inside. Be real careful when prying it. If you have those plastic dashboard removal tools, I would try those first before going at it with a metal screwdriver.

2011 Honda CR-Z EX SSM 6MT
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. I worked on it some more but ran out of daylight. That spring must be really strong... plus there's a metal subframe in the door that supports the latch. The entire latch mechanism is obscured by the internal plastic pieces, even when you take that garnish piece off. I may have to cut some small holes into the plastic just to be able to get access to the mechanism.

I also looked into removing the glove box entirely. The problem with that is two of the screws attaching the glove box to the car are only accessible from inside the glove box!

I just want to get my registration out of there haha
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

Garage
You really ARE between a rock and a hard place! If you think the only way out--in--is to drill a small hole, here's a couple of pictures of the inside latch.
First pic, you can see a place, just to the right of the latch where you can drill an ⅛" hole (to the left of the latch is a metal plate.) Measure 8" from the right edge of the glove box door, and " down from the top of the door edge with an ⅛" or slightly larger bit. The second pic shows an ⅛" allen wrench that you can maneuver up into the hole, and like magic--in theory--your in! Good luck.
...and I forgot to tell you how far in to go with your allen wrench before twisting it counter-clockwise--put a mark or tape about an inch up the allen from the 90 bend, that'll get you close, but you may have to feel around to get it behind the metal bar that the latch latches to.

Scott Plantier likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Last edited by litz; 10-26-2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: additional info added
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thank you for taking the time to do that! I really appreciate it! I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks again!!!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Sure thing. If that doesn't work, I guess a BFH or spud bar will help relieve the frustration

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I got in. Litz, I wasn't able to get it with an allen wrench but your instructions led me in the right direction. Thanks again it's much appreciated!

So I drilled a few holes and tore back some plastic. I ended up inadvertently cutting into some of the inside glove box door as well. In the end I tore out more than I should have because I started in the wrong place and I wasn't familiar with how the actual latch worked. Now it seems dead simple haha. I'm going to do a quick write up with instructions showing that a 1/4 hole in the right place will be all you need.

The prognosis: The handle is indeed detatched from the mechanism, I would have to take apart the glove box door to get a better view of what is actually broken. To be honest I'm just happy to get my registration out. The entire glove box can be found on Majestic for $132 which isn't as bad as I expected. Winter is coming so this may have to be a spring project. Once I take a few measurements I'll put together some instructions in case this happens to anyone else in the future. thanks again for the help
Scott Plantier likes this.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
Alright, I got in. Litz, I wasn't able to get it with an allen wrench but your instructions led me in the right direction. Thanks again it's much appreciated!...
...I'm going to do a quick write up with instructions showing that a 1/4 hole in the right place will be all you need.
Sounds good--glad it helped get you in the right direction--and I think I can see now, where the " hole needs to be to get straight at the latching mechanism.... Looking forward to your write up. Oh, and once you get the new glove box in, don't just throw the old one away--it may have some good parts and pieces that could be useful in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode