New Owner: Burned through 1/2 tank of gas on 2hr highway trip - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

New Owner: Burned through 1/2 tank of gas on 2hr highway trip

Is this normal? I filled my tank (full) right before I left. Drove in Normal on the way up, then Eco on the way back. The temperature outside wasn't too bad (about 60F). I just bought this car (2011) two days ago. Thought I could save a bit on gas, but this was just ridiculous. Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:12 AM

Garage
The crz has a small fuel tank, it does better on consumption efficiency on long trips where theres less stop starting.

Half a tank of e10 is about $20aud for me, i get more than 2 hours out of half a tank tho unless i was driving ralley style.

You didnt get a Prius, the crz uses the ima for both efficiency and zip, so use cases differ and quite literally YMMV.
Spdbump likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Normal? No, not really. There could be some maintenance issues that need to be addressed(air filter, spark plugs, tire pressures). There's also a long list of other things that could be possible reasons as well, not the least is your driving style. Also, outside of the 2 hour duration we don't know any of the details of your trip. Speed, distance, weather(yes, the weather), road conditions, traffic, just for starters.
Spdbump and Zycle like this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 02:21 AM

you should be able to get 36+ MPG without even trying under any normal driving, what does your Trip computer tell you for a history?

Any Mods you know of or how long it sat on the lot?
Spdbump likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:18 PM

Welcome!

At 80 MPH (75MPH speed limit interstate) I'd get around 32 MPG. At those speeds the engine is running pretty fast and I think IVTEC is enabled hurting fuel economy. In two hours I would do 160 miles which uses about 5 gallons or about half a tank. I found there is a good amount of "reserve" gas when I drove 20-25 minutes on the highway with 0 mile range showing (I had my road bike in the back if I ran out, was small local highway) so using half a tank is not just tank capacity / 2. If you were traveling around 80 MPH then expect dramatically worse gas mileage, this happens in any car due to gearing and aerodynamics.

Tire pressure, I kept mine in the high 30 PSI. For excellent fuel economy I'd keep my speed around 60 MPH where I could get 45-50 MPG.

As posted above routine maintenance will hurt fuel economy if it is not done. Also the gas in the car might be pretty old if it sat around waiting to be sold and the owner had a replacement car already.

The CR-Z also teaches you to drive economically, listen to it, the shift indicators etc. The wonderful thing is the electric torque, I could cruise around in 6th gear city driving.
litz likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrah View Post
Is this normal? I filled my tank (full) right before I left. Drove in Normal on the way up, then Eco on the way back. The temperature outside wasn't too bad (about 60F). I just bought this car (2011) two days ago. Thought I could save a bit on gas, but this was just ridiculous. Any tips?
Econ mode kills highway mileage if there's any sort of uphill grade involved.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Super Duper Member

Since it was your first longish trip is it possible your parking brake was dragging or you had the brake partially applied? Also replace fuel filter and any other fluids and filters, make sure tires are good for tread rotation direction (if directional) and air pressure ( I run 32 PSI in all 4) then see if MPGs improves
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:30 AM
Super Duper Member

Tire pressure makes a big difference, so doesn't tires.

I live in a hilly / mountainous area and usually only average around 28-30 mpg tops. It does better on the highway on long trips.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Deputy Forum Librarian

Garage
Since this is your first post, Welcome!

I have notice if I don’t drive my CR-Z regularly it does not get great mpg. So if you bought this two days ago it could have been sitting a while. I think, once you drive it regularly the mpg will be better.

For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Elite Member

Garage
there isn't enough info given to justify a clear answer. we are trying to solve a 3 variable question with only 2 known variables.

if OP was driving an avg 100mph for 2 hrs, half a tank is actually exceptionally good (about 50mpg)

now if this 2 hrs drive was at a crawl with an avg speed under 30mph, then it would be horrendous mileage (like under 15mpg)

but generally speaking, here are some common things that can affect mileage:
- extra weight (heavy cargo, passenger, etc)
- drag (i.e. roof mounted accessories, large spoiler)
- low tire pressure
- poor wheel/tire combination (i.e. too large, too heavy, too wide, etc.)
- poor alignment
- low or bad 12V battery (while the 12V battery doesn't run the electric motor, the car will spend a lot more time charging the 12V system vs if you had a good/new battery)
- heavy use of A/C (or always on)
- behind on general engine maintenance (engine oil, air cleaner/filter, spark plugs) and use the correct oil, that is huge.

heavy stop and go traffic is also particularly hard on MPG in the CRZ due to having to start up the engine each time the car moves (no EV mode). so mileage can be very poor in gridlock traffic. even without traffic, driving at very slow speeds burns up gas as the car cannot disengage the gasoline engine except cut out fuel when braking/coasting.
Spdbump and Zycle like this.

'13 CRZ - PWP EX 6MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode