Rear Brake pads, rotors, and calipers - 2011 EX - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Rear Brake pads, rotors, and calipers - 2011 EX

Hi everyone! I need to replace my rear pads, rotors, and calipers on my 2011 EX. I am not savvy with car stuff so Iím hoping you guys can point me in the right direction! The shop I originally took it to quoted me over $1600.

I have several mechanic friends, the wife of one also drives a CR-Z, so Iím thinking about purchasing the parts myself and having someone I trust do the work. Thoughts? Recommendations on parts? I just use my car as a daily commuter car.

Thank you!

Last edited by slagathor; 04-18-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Removed unreadable iPhone emoji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:18 AM
Super Duper Member

Look at https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ke+&+wheel+hub (This is the link for 2011 brakes) web site for ideas on parts and prices. They show many options and they guarantee fit. Then you can either buy from them or elsewhere. Power stop also makes packages which RockAuto sells. I just looked at their page and they list nothing for the rear except rebuild kit.

Are you sure the calipers need to be replaced? That is part of the high cost of the estimate you got. Sometimes they can be rebuilt. If you need this much for the rear what about the front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slagathor View Post
Hi everyone! I need to replace my rear pads, rotors, and calipers on my 2011 EX. I am not savvy with car stuff so I’m hoping you guys can point me in the right direction! The shop I originally took it to quoted me over $1600. 🤮

I have several mechanic friends, the wife of one also drives a CR-Z, so I’m thinking about purchasing the parts myself and having someone I trust do the work. Thoughts? Recommendations on parts? I just use my car as a daily commuter car.

Thank you!
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slagathor View Post
Hi everyone! I need to replace my rear pads, rotors, and calipers on my 2011 EX. I am not savvy with car stuff so I’m hoping you guys can point me in the right direction! The shop I originally took it to quoted me over $1600. 🤮

I have several mechanic friends, the wife of one also drives a CR-Z, so I’m thinking about purchasing the parts myself and having someone I trust do the work. Thoughts? Recommendations on parts? I just use my car as a daily commuter car.

Thank you!
Just an FYI.. i have done this on (2) CR-z's now. The rear's DO go bad.. and by that, I mean the slider pins lock up. You don't need to replace the entire caliper. You need to get new slider pins and clean the holes out on the calipers and lube them up good.

In fact, I need to do this on my new crz as it was locking up so bad the brakes would smoke.

Like stated above, use rockauto, or carid.com and get the parts, then have someone install them. Even if you DO buy new calipers, it shouldn't come close to $1000. Rotors are probably $50ea, brake pads ($60), and slider pins like $30. Plus some brake grease (lube).. yeah. Not much.

Its too bad you can't do this yourself. Its simple work.

If you want to watch how its done:

This is on a different honda, but ALL caliper / rotor cars are the same pretty much. Whether it be mercedes, or honda.

Also, in terms of brands:

Rotors: Go with centric premium (solid disk.. not slotted, or drilled)
Pads: Go with OEM honda
Slider pins: (go with whoever you want.. i recommend honda, or even autozone).

Centric also sells a kit that comes with pads + rotors. Part # 909.40527

https://www.carid.com/2011-honda-cr-...207520306.html

Or just Rotor (centric part # 120.40079)

https://www.carid.com/2011-honda-cr-...-20679599.html

For the brake pads / slider pins: Get them at your local honda, or somewhere online like bernardiparts.com

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
Just an FYI.. i have done this on (2) CR-z's now. The rear's DO go bad.. and by that, I mean the slider pins lock up. You don't need to replace the entire caliper. You need to get new slider pins and clean the holes out on the calipers and lube them up good.
I wonder if that's what was causing my rears stinking up the dragon last year... looks like my weekend just got more plans...
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Look at https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ke+&+wheel+hub (This is the link for 2011 brakes) web site for ideas on parts and prices. They show many options and they guarantee fit. Then you can either buy from them or elsewhere. Power stop also makes packages which RockAuto sells. I just looked at their page and they list nothing for the rear except rebuild kit.

Are you sure the calipers need to be replaced? That is part of the high cost of the estimate you got. Sometimes they can be rebuilt. If you need this much for the rear what about the front?
The person I spoke with at the shop said the rear calipers were locking up, and that the right side was worse than the left. He said that the front looked like it still had 10k-15k miles left before it would need to be replaced.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

In fact, I need to do this on my new crz as it was locking up so bad the brakes would smoke.

Like stated above, use rockauto, or carid.com and get the parts, then have someone install them. Even if you DO buy new calipers, it shouldn't come close to $1000. Rotors are probably $50ea, brake pads ($60), and slider pins like $30. Plus some brake grease (lube).. yeah. Not much.

Its too bad you can't do this yourself. Its simple work.

If you want to watch how its done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPaB5AcRG6c

This is on a different honda, but ALL caliper / rotor cars are the same pretty much. Whether it be mercedes, or honda.

Also, in terms of brands:

Rotors: Go with centric premium (solid disk.. not slotted, or drilled)
Pads: Go with OEM honda
Slider pins: (go with whoever you want.. i recommend honda, or even autozone).

Centric also sells a kit that comes with pads + rotors. Part # 909.40527

https://www.carid.com/2011-honda-cr-...207520306.html

Or just Rotor (centric part # 120.40079)

https://www.carid.com/2011-honda-cr-...-20679599.html

For the brake pads / slider pins: Get them at your local honda, or somewhere online like bernardiparts.com
AWESOME. Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
Quote:
I wonder if that's what was causing my rears stinking up the dragon last year... looks like my weekend just got more plans...
I can almost guarantee it.

On my first cr-z I fixed the problem at around 130k. It was the first thing I fixed on the car. Now on my new crz, they are locking up at 120k. So yeah, seems to be a common problem.

If you want a cool tool for cleaning the slider pin hole out, I used a 'hoppes universal gun cleaning kit' from Walmart. $10. You can stick the wire brush into a drill, use some wd40 and scrub the hell out of those rusty holes!:

Here is the kit:

Tinyurl.com/hoppes99

Happy cleaning!

Make sure you buy new pins, silicone grease, and maybe some new bolts to screw into pins.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:

On my first cr-z I fixed the problem at around 130k. It was the first thing I fixed on the car. Now on my new crz, they are locking up at 120k. So yeah, seems to be a common problem.

If you want a cool tool for cleaning the slider pin hole out, I used a 'hoppes universal gun cleaning kit' from Walmart. $10. You can stick the wire brush into a drill, use some wd40 and scrub the hell out of those rusty holes!:

Make sure you buy new pins, silicone grease, and maybe some new bolts to screw into pins.
LOL, sounds about right, I was at 110K last year, and 120K now.

I'll pull it apart and look at it. I bought a set of calipers that came with silicone slide grease and pre-lubed slides, so I'll see about just a clean and lube first.

Side note, what calibre brush did you use? I've got the 9mm kit and the 12ga kit.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
Quote:

LOL, sounds about right, I was at 110K last year, and 120K now.

I'll pull it apart and look at it. I bought a set of calipers that came with silicone slide grease and pre-lubed slides, so I'll see about just a clean and lube first.

Side note, what calibre brush did you use? I've got the 9mm kit and the 12ga kit.
I used the largest brass one that would fit in the hole. Not sure on the exact size as my kit was the universal kit. I'll check when I get home. But, like all bore cleaning, tight fit is best.
Spdbump and 96firephoenix like this.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
I used the largest brass one that would fit in the hole. Not sure on the exact size as my kit was the universal kit. I'll check when I get home. But, like all bore cleaning, tight fit is best.
well, time to go buy a 1911 so I can justify having the 45ACP cleaning brush, lol.
Eddie70 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode