Rear Brake pads, rotors, and calipers - 2011 EX - Page 5 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:36 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
Its not.. trust me. I ran 205/55/R16 one year.. absolute garbage in snow.

Last couple of years I ran 185/65/R15.. talk about MAJOR difference.

I can drive with confidence and dig in (even in snow over 1ft +). Before.. I would get stuck in snow about 2 inches deep. Totally useless running larger width tires in snow. In fact, its downright dangerous.

The narrower tread digs in better and gives better traction. Thats why when you buy snow tires they recommend 1 size narrower. I just went with 2 sizes narrower, and an inch smaller in diameter. This also keeps the tire cost cheap.

I have been driving probably longer than you are alive and have not had the issues you claim but maybe your driving conditions are worse than areas I have lived in( I lived in Brockport NY for college and all over the country since) with my driving skills and knowledge , I have never gotten stuck in snow with the Speed bump the only time I got stuck where I could not drive it out there was over 5 feet of snow on the ground and the plow job left over a half foot on the roads with ice under it.

I have also never driven a car into a telephone pole.

Lets just agree to disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:33 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Quote:

I can drive with confidence and dig in (even in snow over 1ft +). Before.. I would get stuck in snow about 2 inches deep. Totally useless running larger width tires in snow. In fact, its downright dangerous.

The narrower tread digs in better and gives better traction. Thats why when you buy snow tires they recommend 1 size narrower. I just went with 2 sizes narrower, and an inch smaller in diameter. This also keeps the tire cost cheap.

I have been driving probably longer than you are alive and have not had the issues you claim but maybe your driving conditions are worse than areas I have lived in( I lived in Brockport NY for college and all over the country since) with my driving skills and knowledge , I have never gotten stuck in snow with the Speed bump the only time I got stuck where I could not drive it out there was over 5 feet of snow on the ground and the plow job left over a half foot on the roads with ice under it.

Lets just agree to disagree.
I dunno, I had huge problems with the wider tires in winter, and after switching to narrow it made a huge difference in traction.

We do get pretty bad weather up here, and it's pretty hilly (mountains and such).

All I'm saying is, the narrow tires worked for me. I don't find this car to be too great in winter honestly, but these tires have made all the difference. If I ran studded narrow I think it would make it even that much better!! Maybe next year.

For now, I'm glad it's spring. 😄
Fediej likes this.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
For winter I would want more traction. Your theory of thinner is better for winter ( except to avoid snow packing in wheel wells) seems a bit off to me but your car your choices.
It's not a theory, it's conventional wisdom and common sense. Narrower tires have a smaller contact patch. Same weight over fewer square inches gets more PSI on the ground. A wider contact patch is less PSI to cut through deep snow.

Some basic googling shows that if your summer tire size is 205 or wider, you will benefit from a narrower winter tire.
Quote:

I've run the stock 195/55/16 Winter tires with similar foot-of-snow abilities. Nothing quite like leaving undercarriage marks behind you. I wouldn't want to go any wider, but also don't see a 15" wheel though.
Quote:
Agree to disagree, but you don't need to be a dick about it.
litz, Shamarskii and Fediej like this.

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
Quote:
For winter I would want more traction. Your theory of thinner is better for winter ( except to avoid snow packing in wheel wells) seems a bit off to me but your car your choices.
It's not a theory, it's conventional wisdom and common sense. Narrower tires have a smaller contact patch. Same weight over fewer square inches gets more PSI on the ground. A wider contact patch is less PSI to cut through deep snow.

Some basic googling shows that if your summer tire size is 205 or wider, you will benefit from a narrower winter tire.
Quote:

I've run the stock 195/55/16 Winter tires with similar foot-of-snow abilities. Nothing quite like leaving undercarriage marks behind you. I wouldn't want to go any wider, but also don't see a 15" wheel though.
Quote:
Agree to disagree, but you don't need to be a dick about it.
I run the 15'' tires cause they are cheap!! Haha! That and they don't make a 185/55/16 that I know of.

But mostly just because I'm cheap and the tires are nice and narrow for winter.

I'm glad there is some science behind it. I have always just heard that narrow tires are better in snow, and until I tried it didn't know. Now that I run them, I will never go back to wide tires in winter.

At around $65/tire new.. can't go wrong!!

Well, until you want bigger brake calipers that is. Haha.

Also, I only ever ran into a telephone pole cause I passed out due to low blood sugar. Not by choice, not by crazy driving. **** happens.. not my choice though. Actually have it on video too. Didn't even slow down or hit the brakes at all.

Probably why I walked away with no injury too was because I was just out. Woke up to the sound of my front end crunching.

A guy near me did the same thing a week after in a larger car and died. Guess I am lucky I only got the Honda symbol burned on my arm as a reminder that life is cheap on this planet an we are but a grain of sand on the beach.
litz and Fediej like this.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
*laughs nervously with OE brake fluid from 2011*
Quote:
Yeah.. i should probably do that soon.
Quote:
You may be way over due. With water absorption your Brake Fluid can boil not to mention loss of braking capability. How's the level with having never changed it? Level can indicate brake pad wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
If you don't change your brake fluid by friday then CR-Z forum should initiate ban procedures.
https://www.crzforum.com/forum/gener...ml#post1379609

Happy guys? I know KY said last weekend, but **** happens, lol.
Spdbump likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in