Tire isn’t centered in wheel well? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Tire isn’t centered in wheel well?

So I noticed Sunday morning that I have tire rub coming from the front left tire and that the wheel isn’t centered in the wheel well. My wheel is sitting about a full inch back than it should and rubs when I turn left or break to a full stop. I put bigger tires on the stock rim (I put 215/50r16) but I drove with for at least a month with no issue, I also don’t rub at all on the front ride side) I brought it to mavis on Tuesday hoping they could diagnose the problem and they said everything mechanically seems to be fine to them and they don’t see a problem so they recommended I bring it to a body shop. Today I brought it the Joyce Honda Grecco body shop and they lifted it and could not see any problems, they said they measured (not exactly sure what) and said it has nothing to do with frame/body of the car but they gave me three parts to switch and it should fix the problem, the parts were the knuckle, the lower arm control and the shock assembly. I asked “what if I replace all three said parts and it doesn’t fix the problem?” Which he replied with “it should, I can’t see it not” I later had a friend also look at it and tell me that it could be that it just needs a front alignment, I thought mavis or the body shop would have said that but he assured me the only way to know if I need the alignment would be to put it on the machine and check and that they probably didn’t do that at either shops. So I’m posting here to see if anyone has similar issues with their Crz, or maybe just more knowledge than these guys do cause if I replace all three of those parts with labor I’m looking at $1,500- $1,800 from what I got quoted at Grecco ( I attached both front tires for comparison)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92D267F3-16EA-4F60-8B56-55F271EE0737_1555548876782.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	50867   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF7BA97A-219D-43C3-B989-8EE34BAE6800_1555548935791.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	50869   Click image for larger version

Name:	54945E7D-748F-4A75-8655-8557AC044712_1555548971969.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	50871  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Garage
A friend told me about the same problem last year while we were at the Dragon. He said (just now,) that he never figured it out, but has been too busy at work all year to worry/think about it, as car has been in storage mostly since then.

One thing to check, is that the subframe is sitting true, but I figured that's what the guys who looked it over did first. [Three bolts on each side, with an "alignment" hole near them that goes through the subframe and the body/frame that it mounts to. You should be able to put a long philips head screwdriver or chop-stick up through both holes, and it should stick out of the frame perpendicularly.]

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I’ll make sure to check but I will figure it out one way or another, I decided to do an alignment tomorrow and see if that does anything, if not I’m just gonna piece by piece replace what I need to then get another alignment after, I’ll be sure to let you know what fixes the problem maybe it’ll be the same problem for your friend
litz likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Elite Member

The picture is impossible to read on my screen - what parts did they say to replace? can't see it being anything besides the Lower control arm, strut, and maybe tie rod...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Lower control arm, knuckle and shock absorber assembly
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr-z-juul View Post
Lower control arm, knuckle and shock absorber assembly
Damn. Must have hit something real hard. Probably have a dented rim too.

CVT or 6speed? the only difference is the shock absorber assembly.

If 6sp, This gets you all your parts and a spare part of your choosing for under 400. If you don't care about ride quality and just want something undamaged to put in, you can have my old strut for the cost of shipping. It's got 95k miles on it, and may or may not be leaking. rode pretty harsh when I took it out, but I'd use it again in place of a busted one. That would just leave you needing the spindle/control arm

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/hon...oem-pair-cz006

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/hon...arm-oem-cz003/

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/hon...assembly-cz001
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

I just got it checked again, went in for an alignment hoping for the best and only came out worse, so as far as the front wheel, he says lower control arm or knuckle since caster is messed up and not toe-in or camber so he thinks shock absorber assembly should be fine, but now he noticed that my rear tires have a negative camber and told me that they can’t be adjusted so to fix them I have two options, one being try to get them bent back in to place or two replace the rear suspension beam, the cost to have my car back to normal is starting to add up and I’m debating if it’s even worth the price of the whole car itself
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Also it’s CVT
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Elite Member

Honestly, I'd get that LCA and spindle hub assembly used from redline.

The rear wheels always have a little bit of negative camber. so long as you don't have a huge amount (keep it under 3 deg), it's not a real problem. it might be indicative of some abuse in the past, but I would ignore the rear for now. it's just along for the ride anyway
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

I would agree but the mechanic was saying he can’t even do a front alignment on it if the back doesn’t get fixed because to align the front he has to base it off the back, also one thing I noticed personally is that the tires wear really fast now, I’d have to replace back tires every 4-5 months due to the negative camber, I have all the numbers of my alignment for front and back which I’ll post with this but pictures always tend to come out blurry on this website, overall I’d love to replace control arm and spindle and see what happens then as I save more money buy the rear axle, but everyone I seem to talk to gives me the same answer of doing everything all at once which makes me nauseous just thinking about how much money it’s gonna cost that I don’t have, quick question though, I found a used 2012 rear crz axle for $200 opposed to brand new for about $850, do you think it’s worth it to go brand new or should I get the used one? I’m afraid the used will either be bent just like mine or bend quicker than it should, all new parts I order off of hondapartsnow.com and seem to be the cheapest possible oem parts I can find
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039805BD-40F4-4E69-BF9D-626FCEA95D69_1555614044761.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	50873   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1555614155167.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	50875  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in