Rear Wheel Bearing - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Rear Wheel Bearing

I just turned 135k miles on my 2011 EX. It has started making a noise from the rear of the car it sounds like. I am thinking it might be a rear wheel bearing. I jacked the car up and spun the wheels and I don't hear anything unusual. I have pushed and pulled on the top and sides of the rear wheels and I don't have any excess play. Tire wear appears even across the tread. No cupping or unusual wear I can see or feel. I think my next move is going to be to swing the calipers out of the way and see if there is anything unusal.

Any ideas on how to isolate whether it is wheel bearings or something else? Are the bearings similar in installation to a civic? I can go a search for info on civics. I am sure there have been wheel bearing replacements on civics.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

A little more information. The noise builds as I build speed. It's like a low rumbling sound, that's why I was thinking wheel bearings. My wife said it sounds like I have a fart pipe. It's not an exhaust leak because I can push the clutch in and rev the motor and the noise stays the same. Turn the car side to side and the noise stays the same. Rear MOOG bearings are $100 from Rock Auto while Timken are $86. Warranty on MOOG is 3 year vs. 1 year on Timken.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Description of "noise" needs to be a little more precise. Sounds like you did the wheel bearing test to rule that out--if no play, and it spins true/freely, but I was wondering if the noise could be more of a metal-to-metal sound, and/or is it steady, as opposed to a morse code type of sound, if you know what I mean. Like frozen caliper or e-brake....

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

It's a steady roar type noise. The pitch changes as I get up to speed. I pulled on the emergency brake to see if that made any difference and I noticed no change there.

I've been searching around and there doesn't seem to be many examples of rear wheel bearings going bad.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I know someone had posted a pdf of the shop manual. My computer crashed sometime back and I lost my copy. Anyone have the link to that still?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie70 View Post
I know someone had posted a pdf of the shop manual. My computer crashed sometime back and I lost my copy. Anyone have the link to that still?
Yeah--I keep this link (to the link) on the first page of my build thread, just in case my computer crashes, lol:
Miscellaneous:
─2011-2012 CR-Z Service Manual (no 2013 available at the time) click here for PDF version, thanks to KennyX
Eddie70 likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
Yeah--I keep this link (to the link) on the first page of my build thread, just in case my computer crashes, lol:
Miscellaneous:
─2011-2012 CR-Z Service Manual (no 2013 available at the time) click here for PDF version, thanks to KennyX
Thanks Litz!! I'll DL again.
litz likes this.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 05:32 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie70 View Post
.... My wife said it sounds like I have a fart pipe. ....
Does she have any guesses what the noise from the car may be from?

From what you say, I tend to agree on the wheel bearing guess. I'd have no reservations about buying Timken.
Fediej likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Super Duper Member

First thing I'd check is the rear pads, the CR-Z chews up rear pads faster than the fronts due to the regenerative braking and you can hit the wear bars pretty quickly. Its quick and easy. While you're there check what Litz suggested for proper caliper function.

Second, your noise description does sound accurate to a rear bearing but if you can't feel play or any grinding/abnormalities while pushing and spinning the wheel yet or aren't positive I'd say keep driving. If it is the bearing it will get worse and you'll have confirmation and will also be able to feel the roughness while spinning by hand or side to side play, or both.

Also on those bearing replacements you listed does it come with the hub? The rear bearing hub assembly on the CR-Z is a slide/bolt on, the bearing is pressed onto the hub so you'd need to separate the parts if its just a bearing for those options just so you're aware. The Genuine Honda replacement comes as bearing and hub together.
Defiant likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
First thing I'd check is the rear pads, the CR-Z chews up rear pads faster than the fronts due to the regenerative braking and you can hit the wear bars pretty quickly. Its quick and easy. While you're there check what Litz suggested for proper caliper function.
I've heard that mentioned before on the forum, but I don't have enough mileage for it to show yet. The curious thing is that in my 1st Gen Insight, which has the drum/shoe set up on the rears, I still had the original shoes on the rear at 220,000+ miles--and they looked practically brand new! (but I had to do the front caliper rebuild by then.) [I just counted the long lasting wear pattern on the rears, as due to the regenerative braking on the Insight, but it seems the opposite is true on the CR-Z...curious.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
Also on those bearing replacements you listed does it come with the hub? The rear bearing hub assembly on the CR-Z is a slide/bolt on, the bearing is pressed onto the hub so you'd need to separate the parts if its just a bearing for those options just so you're aware. The Genuine Honda replacement comes as bearing and hub together.
Was wondering that too, since the ones in his link were so much cheaper than OEM. (I still choose OEM replacement over cheaper aftermarket replacement parts--just have more trust in them, but a good cheap part is better than a bad OEM part.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode