Stiff and low ride - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Stiff and low ride

Hey guys

I purchased a 2012 used and the car just seems a tad low and stiff compared to other hondas I have owned. Can someone let me know what the stock front and rear ride height should be so I can see maybe if the pervious own changed anything?

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Super Duper Member

Easy way to check is that OEM springs/shocks/struts are black, and didn't have some aftermarket manufacturer's label on them.

Other thing to consider is that the CRZ rides low and stiff compared to other hondas. If you're expecting this to ride like an Accord, you came to the wrong town.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

No I expect it to ride stiffer and lower then accord, comparing it more to a civic coup. The issue it had a K&N air intake so was wondering if the guy swap out the suspension.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
The CR-Z does seem low compared to some, and that's exaggerated by the long chin, but I don't think it actually sits any lower when stock than say a 2009 Accord coupe. I find the ride feels similar to a 2013 Civic SI that I drove, maybe a touch more on the go-cart side of things. Depending on the mileage I would think that your 2012 would have softened up a little by now, if anything. Always possible(but not for sure) that the springs and shocks have been changed, especially when you have evidence of other mods. What @96firephoenix suggested is a good place to start. There are members who know the specific numbers of what you're looking for, just a matter of them reading and responding to your thread.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchjo View Post
No I expect it to ride stiffer and lower then accord, comparing it more to a civic coup. The issue it had a K&N air intake so was wondering if the guy swap out the suspension.
Even compared to that, I'd say the CRZ is a more sporty car.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info, I will try to move the wheels so I can get a good look at the struts and springs. It just that is like 20 deg here so not fun laying on the ground. The car is great in the twisties but when I hit bumpy roads it feel like those cars that so lowered that it has no suspension. That is the main reason I asked.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Thank you for the info, I will try to move the wheels so I can get a good look at the struts and springs. It just that is like 20 deg here so not fun laying on the ground. The car is great in the twisties but when I hit bumpy roads it feel like those cars that so lowered that it has no suspension. That is the main reason I asked.
I'm on stock suspension, and that sounds about how I'd describe it... You might have aftermarket springs, but the factory setup rides pretty stiff.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Just a rough measurement, but on my stock suspension and snow tires (OEM size,) the front height from the ground to the fender well at the hub center is 25-1/4 to 25-1/2 inches, and the rear is an inch higher. (the front driver's side was about 1/4" lower than the passenger side.) My Mugen suspension on the other CR-Z, lowered the height just less than an inch.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Super Duper Member

Why not just look under the back of the car. The springs and shocks are right there. The shocks will have a Honda part number on them xxx-SZT-xxx and possibly still have the white sticker. The springs will be black as well with a red and yellow IIRC paint mark.

Unless someone went through the trouble to spraypaint the parts black nearly all aftermarket suspension stuff is a different, bright, tacky color.
litz likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
Why not just look under the back of the car. The springs and shocks are right there. The shocks will have a Honda part number on them xxx-SZT-xxx and possibly still have the white sticker. The springs will be black as well with a red and yellow IIRC paint mark.

Unless someone went through the trouble to spraypaint the parts black nearly all aftermarket suspension stuff is a different, bright, tacky color.
Because by the time I get home its past five and my friends shop is closed. I dont have a garage to put the car in and the parking lots and driveways are covered in salt because I live in the Northeast

I am trying to put the car back to stock and remove any aftermarket stuff the past owner put on. Since the ride was on the hard side I wanted to make sure that stuff was not change. I plan on measuring to and taking to my friends shop when I get some time.

All the info you guys supplied is great, I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode