HPD suspension: knocking when cold?? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

HPD suspension: knocking when cold??

I have been driving my car with the new HPD suspension installed for like 6 months now, and it was all quiet up until it got freezing cold (0 degrees) a couple of days ago.

Now when I go over small bumps (only seems to do it on some bumps), the drivers side (and possibly passenger) seem to knock pretty hard.

Sway bar end links are brand new moog, top hats are brand new, all rubber is brand new.

Any ideas what to look for? Maybe its just the struts themselves being so cold? I feel like the problem goes away a bit as it warms up, but, hard to tell because it never fully 'warms up' since its about 0 degrees outside right now.

Looking for ideas.

The moog sway bar end links take grease, and I'm wondering if they might need more? Or possibly the grease is just frozen?

FINAL OUTCOME: STRUT WAS BLOWN. REPLACED STRUT, ALL PERFECT AGAIN!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Gonna take a look at this right now.

I have a feeling the moog end links I bought didn't come with much grease in them and are now knocking. Hope so! Hope this is an easy fix, cause its cold as hell out and I'd rather not be rolling around on the cold ground.

Will report back with what I find!
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Garage
It's starting to warm up above freezing for the next couple of days here, so I hope you get a warm-up too. I'm not familiar with the moog links, but if they're the same size as the OEM's, maybe it's just the case of rechecking that all the nuts/bolts are torqued to sped. Good luck!

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Do you really think the torque could cause an issue.

This almost feels like the wheel is bouncing quickly up and down, but with the sound of a bad strut. I can feel the vibration from the wheel almost like 'hopping'. It makes a loud deep thud almost like a bad strut would, but the struts seem to be working most of the time.

The sound is only happening on the drivers side too, which is weird.

I greased the sway bar end links, and removed some ice. Didn't help. Wish I could get a recording of the sound. But, sounds like a deep thud kinda. Almost like broken sway bar end link would.

I check the end link, and it seemed solid with no rattling or looseness. So, I dunno? Could it still be broken?

This didnt seem to start happening until the freezing cold, and it seems to happen randomly. Not every bump, only at certain speeds, etc.

Any ideas??
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I was saying "torque to spec..." just for the sake of checking to make sure everything is tight and secure--since everything's tight underneath, you might check the top mounts, if they were new to the install too. I have only one "thunk" sound, after installing my beatrush top mounts, but that's only on a specific place I pull out of (at work,) which has a drop in the concrete that's about 2-3 inches down, and about the length of the tire patch before it goes up a couple inches again. Haven't noticed it anywhere else. See if you can find a parking lot with a section that causes it to thud--and test again--you might be able to set up a camera/video on a tripod, and drive past it to capture the sound (if repeatable.) Does it happen going backwards, as well as forwards and/or with steering turned as well as straight?

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Happens both forwards, backward, while going straight or turning.

Almost starting to think its the ball join (control arm) since the wheel feels like its going up and down. I can literally feel it under my feet and it makes a loud THUD.

Its not the suspension, as the suspension seems to be dampening, but, its a loud thud and feels like the wheel is moving up and down.

With 175k on the car, i think the ball joints must be shot.

There ball joints are a unit that is part of the control arm. I also see centric makes JUST a ball join replacement. I wonder how hard it would be to press these out of the control arm myself. Probably not easy. I'm guessing I would have to remove the control arm anyways.
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Ha! I forgot you had more than 100,000 miles on yours, but I've never had to replace wheel bearings and/or ball joints in any of my Honda's with over 200,000 miles on them over the years, so I didn't suspect the worn out parts issue that you may have. Ball joints--I've removed the control arm, but not the ball joint off of the arm, so I've only "popped" the joint off the hub with joint removal tool. Pressing it out and pressing a new one back in is doable, but probably easier to take the control arm to a shop to have a new one pressed in. Have you checked the wheel bearings and/or for movement of the wheel while not under load? If you need new bearings--better to replace them while your at it. Such a pain in the assumption to have to do the job outside, in the winter.

post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

The noise is much louder when in the car:

http://www.designlabx.com/honda/crz/...bumpnoise1.mp3

Can be heard at like :03, :08-09 seconds, etc on this mp3.
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
Ha! I forgot you had more than 100,000 miles on yours, but I've never had to replace wheel bearings and/or ball joints in any of my Honda's with over 200,000 miles on them over the years, so I didn't suspect the worn out parts issue that you may have. Ball joints--I've removed the control arm, but not the ball joint off of the arm, so I've only "popped" the joint off the hub with joint removal tool. Pressing it out and pressing a new one back in is doable, but probably easier to take the control arm to a shop to have a new one pressed in. Have you checked the wheel bearings and/or for movement of the wheel while not under load? If you need new bearings--better to replace them while your at it. Such a pain in the assumption to have to do the job outside, in the winter.
Yeah, no fun in winter. Thats why I'm trying to get this sorted as quick as possible. If its a wheel bearing, I could do those myself with the entire hub. Definitely sucks doing this outside though, because then your fighting with the sun, and the elements. Oh well, I'm use to it!!

I'm going to check the bearings for play today, as well as inspect the ball joints and do a couple other tests to try and determine what is making the noise.

Yesterday when I lubed the sway bar end links, I was only able to get the bottom part, since the grease gun i had didnt have a flexible tube, so i couldnt get it in to do the tops. I will be buying a flexible tube for the gun today and get the tops too. I hope that fixes it. Whats weird is.. I'm noticing the sound less, but its still there. Maybe just ice built up somewhere? Not sure. Its very very inconsistent. Sometimes it bangs, sometimes it doesn't.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Lubed the other end link ends.. no change.

Inspected end links and used pry bar to pry up and down on them between control arm. No sound.

Checked ball joints, visually they look fine, tested pry bar under tire lifting up and no noise.

Tie rod ends looked and felt solid.

Axles appears to have a little play when pulling up and down, but both sides were the same.

Checked engine mounts, and they seem to be working as they should.

Tested the struts, and they seem to be working as they should. Was hard to fully test though because springs are still attached. It does not seem like a strut issue though as they dont bang hard over bumps.

Sound appears the most at low speeds, when very cold, and when going over cracks in the road. Otherwise, sound isn't really consistent. Mostly just the last couple of days when its very very cold.

Visually I didnt see any oil on struts, but its hard to tell since I just got everything undercoated and sprayed with fluid film. Everything looks greasy.

Not sure what else to check??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode