HPD suspension: knocking when cold?? - Page 8 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 01:20 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Not that I know of. Or, it'd cost more than a new strut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
I have been driving my car with the new HPD suspension installed for like 6 months now, and it was all quiet up until it got freezing cold (0 degrees) a couple of days ago.

Now when I go over small bumps (only seems to do it on some bumps), the drivers side (and possibly passenger) seem to knock pretty hard.

Sway bar end links are brand new moog, top hats are brand new, all rubber is brand new.

Any ideas what to look for? Maybe its just the struts themselves being so cold? I feel like the problem goes away a bit as it warms up, but, hard to tell because it never fully 'warms up' since its about 0 degrees outside right now.

Looking for ideas.

The moog sway bar end links take grease, and I'm wondering if they might need more? Or possibly the grease is just frozen?

FINAL OUTCOME: STRUT WAS BLOWN. REPLACED STRUT, ALL PERFECT AGAIN!!

Gonna dig this thread out of the grave.... So how is the HPD suspension/strut holding up since you replaced the blown one ? How many miles have you driven since then ? Thanks

post #73 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCRZ View Post
Quote:
I have been driving my car with the new HPD suspension installed for like 6 months now, and it was all quiet up until it got freezing cold (0 degrees) a couple of days ago.

Now when I go over small bumps (only seems to do it on some bumps), the drivers side (and possibly passenger) seem to knock pretty hard.

Sway bar end links are brand new moog, top hats are brand new, all rubber is brand new.

Any ideas what to look for? Maybe its just the struts themselves being so cold? I feel like the problem goes away a bit as it warms up, but, hard to tell because it never fully 'warms up' since its about 0 degrees outside right now.

Looking for ideas.

The moog sway bar end links take grease, and I'm wondering if they might need more? Or possibly the grease is just frozen?

FINAL OUTCOME: STRUT WAS BLOWN. REPLACED STRUT, ALL PERFECT AGAIN!!

Gonna dig this thread out of the grave.... So how is the HPD suspension/strut holding up since you replaced the blown one ? How many miles have you driven since then ? Thanks
They were driving great. Up until I ran into a telephone pole. However, they will be swapped onto my new crz soon. Maybe within the next couple of weeks if it's nice out and I can get the car up on blocks (the old car). Don't think smashing into the pole would have done anything, but, if it did, I'm going to spend another $1200 for this setup because it rocks! Hopefully I don't have to though!

post #74 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
They were driving great. Up until I ran into a telephone pole. However, they will be swapped onto my new crz soon. Maybe within the next couple of weeks if it's nice out and I can get the car up on blocks (the old car). Don't think smashing into the pole would have done anything, but, if it did, I'm going to spend another $1200 for this setup because it rocks! Hopefully I don't have to though!

Thanks for the info and Iím sorry that happened. Yea I donít think suspension was damaged if itís just frontal collision. I know the HPD is good. I am still debating if I should just go with Koni + lowering spring setup. Itís because 4 shocks replacement in total is same price as one Showa/HPD shock replacement.... I do want to keep the car for a long time and that why I am curious how long the HPD setup is gonna last...

i wonder if Koni can be used as replacement for the HPD Springs.... this topic has been covered right ?

post #75 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCRZ View Post
Thanks for the info and Iím sorry that happened. Yea I donít think suspension was damaged if itís just frontal collision. I know the HPD is good. I am still debating if I should just go with Koni + lowering spring setup. Itís because 4 shocks replacement in total is same price as one Showa/HPD shock replacement.... I do want to keep the car for a long time and that why I am curious how long the HPD setup is gonna last...

i wonder if Koni can be used as replacement for the HPD Springs.... this topic has been covered right ?
You get what you pay for.. thats all I can say. The HPD kit is well worth the money. I don't think you can find anything else near the level of performance and comfort in driving for this vehicle. It would be hard...
CrzyCRZ likes this.
post #76 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:59 PM

HPD suspension: knocking when cold??

Quote:
You get what you pay for.. thats all I can say. The HPD kit is well worth the money. I don't think you can find anything else near the level of performance and comfort in driving for this vehicle. It would be hard...

Oh trust me. I know HPD parts are solid. I have the HPD exhaust myself. Itís definitely a high quality product

post #77 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:21 AM

Garage
I second the HPD exhaust. Added a Tegiwa downpipe to the exhaust and she can get rowdy in the upper RPM's. Still not quite as loud as the open header civics though.
CrzyCRZ likes this.

2011 CPB CRZ
Suspension work, intake, exhaust/2nd decat
2017 Black EcoBoost Mustang
Suspension work, Bolt-ons, BAMA tune
post #78 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikeybun View Post
I second the HPD exhaust. Added a Tegiwa downpipe to the exhaust and she can get rowdy in the upper RPM's. Still not quite as loud as the open header civics though.

Nice ! I wish I could add any sort of downpipe at all but exhaust sound level is pretty strict here in California. I would have done the same

post #79 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Garage
I'll have to do some decibel testing on my exhaust setup. I'm pretty sure it would still meet Cali exhaust regulations. My z is still much quieter then the EcoBoost even on cold starts. Now if you remove both cats and straight pipe the Z then that would be a different story.
CrzyCRZ likes this.

2011 CPB CRZ
Suspension work, intake, exhaust/2nd decat
2017 Black EcoBoost Mustang
Suspension work, Bolt-ons, BAMA tune
post #80 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikeybun View Post
I'll have to do some decibel testing on my exhaust setup. I'm pretty sure it would still meet Cali exhaust regulations. My z is still much quieter then the EcoBoost even on cold starts. Now if you remove both cats and straight pipe the Z then that would be a different story.

I am curious if you pass that regulation. If your decibel is under, then I will be very interested in getting one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode