Is it worth it to replace stock navigation system to upgrade sound system? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jwarian
  • 1 Post By Junior DeJesus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Is it worth it to replace stock navigation system to upgrade sound system?

I have a 2016 CRZ EX with navigation

I want to start upgrading the speakers with some Infinity Primus PR6512is i have from my old car

But from what i was seeing in the forum people were saying that adding aftermarket speakers wouldn't do much since the stock amp is boo boo

So i was just wondering is it even worth the trouble to replace the stock radio and go for an aftermarket unit

or just keep it as is because i do enjoy having the backup camera and right lane change camera

also does anyone have any experience with the Kicker 11HS8 Subwoofer it seems like a quick and easy was to add a sub to this car

Last edited by zombeastxx; 05-03-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: more information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:51 PM

Garage
Dude I have had my dash apart and redone the radio setup a dozen times, adding the most expensive speakers to the current setup will net MAYBE 1 volume click of difference at all which is all to the high end of the range, the low end will be gone, sure at max volume you may be able to hear or feel a few crisper(not louder) hits, but it will cost all of the other lows and without a proper crossover/amplifier, the factory setup/speakers ain’t too bad, that being said, if you want to pop your door panels and giver it a whirl, do not spend anything over 75$ for a pair, with RMS wattage not above 50.

Problem is most companies sell either components or two/three way 6.75”s/6.5”s(The both fit)
Components will get you a crossover and a single piece main driving speaker, but good luck getting the tweeters swapped and wired.

When I started I bought Polk audio somethings on amazon which were components, and threw the tweeters/crossovers in the trash knowing I would be using the original amp and its tweeters/xover.
Reason being that I just refuse to ever accept that putting a tweeter in the middle of the bass driver was a step forward when I had tweeters in the dash..Plus I knew from prior experience what underdriven three-ways pointed at your ear can do to the enjoyment of the music(hissssssss)

I would either go all in with a WIRELESS CARPLAY unit and a proper dual amp or 5-channel setup and replacing all the speakers.

OR spend less that 100$ total and only change the speakers, maybe.

I went all in, eventually running 110RMS 6.5’s and dynamatting the world, this guy found a way to fit a JL 4-channel amp BEHIND the double din reciever in the dash! Yea it can be done and it is nuts, i had to pull the whole dashboard out(never again)
I also put JL 6W3s in the rear corners, using frame bolt points where I swapped in longer bolts that secure the little cubes in their place, the spot between the IMA battery and the very rear of the car has a JL monoblock stuffed in there, notched the carpet, tried to cut the trim pieces best i could(aint perfect)

I would rather remove the entire interior and floor-liner than ever disassemble the dash that far again
(ever pressure wash the floorliner? works great cept ya gotta take it out first. yea, i am weird I know.)

TL;DR either less that $100 or more than $1000

In my humble opinion.
Quaestor Black and litz like this.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Garage
and just for the record, no matter what you do, 4 6.5” bass drivers will be garbage, sure my 400rms goes loud but i have to set my crossover to nuke everything below 80~100 or else the distortion is just horrid, running them without a crossover does sound fantastic and the lows are beautiful but legit is like the same volume as stock, 6.5’s just aren't meant to be your bottom, keep them from seeing it and it goes loud enough but the lows are sacrificed. They are all time aligned and whatnot too...

two 8’s mounted in the rear divider pointing at each seat is my goal, ya can fold it down! Yea without fiberglass this paragraph is pointless.

i

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:12 AM

It's worth it!

Everyone was telling me that it was impossible or really hard to replace the stock EX navigation system with a double din. I bought a Kenwood double din that has apple play and car play and I love it. I was able to keep the stock facia. It's perfect for me.

PS: I had already upgraded the amp and sub.

The stock navi unit is too laggy for me. Here are some before and after pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yODPho2vRoKGdt%7SD2fBw.jpg (44.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_7214.jpg (6.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 57991105366__E0EC92C5-E851-4092-BB8F-36C353EFE6C8.jpg (47.5 KB, 4 views)
litz likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior DeJesus View Post
Everyone was telling me that it was impossible or really hard to replace the stock EX navigation system with a double din. I bought a Kenwood double din that has apple play and car play and I love it. I was able to keep the stock facia. It's perfect for me.
The problem wasn't so much in replacing the head unit, it's getting the steering wheel controls and factory Bluetooth to work with the aftermarket stereo. Were you able to do all that with no issues?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode