Crz 2010 would stall in the midst of the ride - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Crz 2010 would stall in the midst of the ride

Hi all ,

I’m new to the forum. I have a 2010 Honda CR-Z , which I bought a month ago. Everything seemed to be normal since last week , when the car after idle stop in traffic congestion gave quite a jerk to move and I was like wasn’t sure what just happened. The next day when I started my journey and in about five minutes the car started to give jerks as if it’s out of fuel and stalled. I barely made it back home and searched for ways to get it working . The battery bars fell to nil. Later I saw a video to charge the battery by Erving the engine and I did it and it charged the battery to almost full. Everything seemed to be normal now and I drove it for very short journeys. Later the night I took it out and it drove fine for a km or so and did the same thing again . The battery bar was already nil and the car stopped.

I am not sure what’s going on and what to do about it. All the systems seem to run fine and there are no displayed errors etc . The car is 89,000 Kms driven.

Anyone here for a suggestion ! Thanks In advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86DDF0BE-4B0D-46F4-9197-68F92F0DE186_1559855007724.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	51213  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:49 PM
Super Duper Member

I suspect you have one of two issues. Under Hood battery is dying or IMA/DC to DC converter not working properly.

I highly suggest you have under hood battery load tested ( engine off) If that battery is a Honda Branded battery and has an Eye it is the OEM one and if it were me just replace it.

If it is IMA issues you may need a good Honda dealer who knows about CR-Zs to diagnose it. Car should run fine without IMA Battery working but DC to DC converter charges under hood battery if you lose both or voltage in under hood is very low then you have weird electrical running issues as you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion233 View Post
Hi all ,

Iím new to the forum. I have a 2010 Honda CR-Z , which I bought a month ago. Everything seemed to be normal since last week , when the car after idle stop in traffic congestion gave quite a jerk to move and I was like wasnít sure what just happened. The next day when I started my journey and in about five minutes the car started to give jerks as if itís out of fuel and stalled. I barely made it back home and searched for ways to get it working . The battery bars fell to nil. Later I saw a video to charge the battery by Erving the engine and I did it and it charged the battery to almost full. Everything seemed to be normal now and I drove it for very short journeys. Later the night I took it out and it drove fine for a km or so and did the same thing again . The battery bar was already nil and the car stopped.

I am not sure whatís going on and what to do about it. All the systems seem to run fine and there are no displayed errors etc . The car is 89,000 Kms driven.

Anyone here for a suggestion ! Thanks In advance.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

The battery under the hood is not the Honda one, it’s from another company. I will get the load test done tomorrow. Regarding the ima , if there was a problem , shouldn’t it highlight on the meter ! I will try to get it to some reputed dealer so the problem is diagnosed.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:08 PM
Super Duper Member

Some issues do not trigger any alerts or codes. Start with under hood quick cheap repair and a wear out item.
Quote:
The battery under the hood is not the Honda one, it’s from another company. I will get the load test done tomorrow. Regarding the ima , if there was a problem , shouldn’t it highlight on the meter ! I will try to get it to some reputed dealer so the problem is diagnosed.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Perfect ! I’ll give it a shot .
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Changed the under the hood batteries but no luck . Got it diagnosed and everything seemed to be alright! The expert now diagnosed a bad fuel pump as it showed only 12 psi or what ever the measure is , which comparatively should have been 75 as a standard. Now I would get the fuel pump changed for and cross my finger if the problem is resolved.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Super Duper Member

Not enough fuel pressure is not a common failure but I suppose that would cause issues you had. At least he found something wrong. I hope fuel filter was also replaced as the failed pump might have been losing bits.
Quote:
Changed the under the hood batteries but no luck . Got it diagnosed and everything seemed to be alright! The expert now diagnosed a bad fuel pump as it showed only 12 psi or what ever the measure is , which comparatively should have been 75 as a standard. Now I would get the fuel pump changed for and cross my finger if the problem is resolved.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Just out of curiosity! Won’t there be any check light sign for a bad fuel pump or filter if there arises such a condition ! The readings showed a lower pressure but there was no error or check light signs as I was of the view it would show even the slightest problem in the scanning.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 AM
Super Duper Member

Not every parameter is monitored or causes a code. It might have just been slightly out of Specification and did not trigger any other conditions that are monitored.

With the new Fuel Pump any issues remaining?

Quote:
Just out of curiosity! Wonít there be any check light sign for a bad fuel pump or filter if there arises such a condition ! The readings showed a lower pressure but there was no error or check light signs as I was of the view it would show even the slightest problem in the scanning.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

The dealership is closed here on Sundays so will be waiting for the replacement pump on Monday to be installed. I hope it all gets sorted out after that !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode