Replacing corroded battery terminals (12v) - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By d1giPhux
  • 1 Post By Fediej
  • 1 Post By d1giPhux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Replacing corroded battery terminals (12v)

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2011 CR-Z a few months ago and so far I love it . My only problem I have with it is sometimes I have trouble starting it up because the 12v battery terminals are very badly corroded and barely stay on the battery. I figured I can just replace them with some from the auto parts store. Wouldn't cost me more than 10-15$ but I noticed the original positive terminal has a hole for the battery fuse bolt and the auto parts ones are for simply just the positive cable.

I checked everywhere online and I can't find any terminal that has that hole for the fuse bolt. OEM Honda parts sites sell the entire positive assembly including the fuse box (80$ + shipping) when I only just need the terminals.

Can anyone tell me where I can get these kind of battery terminals with the hole for the battery fuse bolt ? I really do not want to have to buy the entire assembly when I don't need it :/ I tried searching if anyone had a similar problem around the forums but couldn't find any.

This is my first post also. any help is appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:39 AM
Super Duper Member

are the terminals damaged to the point where removing corrosion and coating with Silicone spray on out side and Dielectric grease on the inside won't help?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:34 AM
Super Duper Member

Get OEM. Don't put some ghetto aftermarket garbage on it.. will just cause you problems down the road:

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...-fuel--battery

Expensive.. yes, but worth it. You can also take the part number and look for cheaper ones online.

Or use Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and find a junkyard near yourself.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Super Duper Member

Don’t you have some you can sell him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
Get OEM. Don't put some ghetto aftermarket garbage on it.. will just cause you problems down the road:

Expensive.. yes, but worth it. You can also take the part number and look for cheaper ones online.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
are the terminals damaged to the point where removing corrosion and coating with Silicone spray on out side and Dielectric grease on the inside won't help?
Unfortunately that’s my case since the metal ring that wraps around the positive end of the battery is literally dissolving.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I was hoping there would be some aftermarket ones without the whole assembly that would work just as good but if not I think I’ll just go ahead and spend the extra money for everything new.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Duper Member

Depending on the uniqueness of those ends you may find replacements in the ”Help” section of your local parts place or Rock Auto I highly doubt they are Honda only. Honda had to get them somewhere.

But if corrosion is that bad then cable maybe corroded inside insulation so full replacement might be better in long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelxuarez View Post
Quote:

I was hoping there would be some aftermarket ones without the whole assembly that would work just as good but if not I think I’ll just go ahead and spend the extra money for everything new.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Depending on the uniqueness of those ends you may find replacements in the ”Help” section of your local parts place or Rock Auto I highly doubt they are Honda only. Honda had to get them somewhere.

But if corrosion is that bad then cable maybe corroded in side insulation so full replacement might be better in long run.
Yeah, I would definitely check rockauto as well. Usually they have these types.

Though, if you want, I also have some I could sell you off a car I'm parting out. I doubt I will be needing them anytime soon. I hope! I wont be getting to the car until this weekend though. But if you run out of options..
Spdbump and Fediej like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:05 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelxuarez View Post
Is this what you are looking for?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-H...QAAOSw9TVcTdhi
litz likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 09:21 PM
Super Duper Member

@angelxuarez: Pulled the positive / negative cable this last weekend off my car I'm parting out. If your interested, shoot me a PM. I'll sell them half price.
Spdbump likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in