$1600 for a new battery? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

$1600 for a new battery?

TL;DR: Car wouldn’t start and electronics dead. Jump start didn’t work. Dealer said battery needs a new cell and quoted $1600.

I am a college student that delivers pizzas. I came home from work, then went back out 2-3 hours later. When I got to my 2011 CR-Z, the electric key fob did not work. I assumed that the key battery had died so manually unlocked the car and tried to start it. The car was completely dead, no electronics and it would not turn over. My insurance covers towing, so i had a tow truck come out and try to jump start, which did not work. The car didn’t turn over at all. I had it towed to the Honda Dealer and asked them to test the battery to see if it was truely dead before testing other parts. They came back and said that the battery has a bad cell and needs to be replaced. They quoted me at $1630 which seems too high for a normal car battery, but too low for a hybrid battery cell. The dealer is closed until Monday. Is this a reasonable price or what should I ask to have done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
It's most likely the Nickel hybrid battery, but you need to make sure they clarify. Sounds about right for a Honda part if they're only doing a partial. At that age though you may want to consider a full aftermarket replacement. Bumblebee I believe is a(the only?) brand to look for.
If they are talking about the 12 volt, that should only be $100-150 for a Honda brand.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joev View Post
TL;DR: Car wouldn’t start and electronics dead. Jump start didn’t work. Dealer said battery needs a new cell and quoted $1600.

I am a college student that delivers pizzas. I came home from work, then went back out 2-3 hours later. When I got to my 2011 CR-Z, the electric key fob did not work. I assumed that the key battery had died so manually unlocked the car and tried to start it. The car was completely dead, no electronics and it would not turn over. My insurance covers towing, so i had a tow truck come out and try to jump start, which did not work. The car didn’t turn over at all. I had it towed to the Honda Dealer and asked them to test the battery to see if it was truely dead before testing other parts. They came back and said that the battery has a bad cell and needs to be replaced. They quoted me at $1630 which seems too high for a normal car battery, but too low for a hybrid battery cell. The dealer is closed until Monday. Is this a reasonable price or what should I ask to have done?
Where you located at? I am parting out a car and have a working condition IMA battery that was in my car I wrecked.

I'm in NH. I would sell ya mine if you want it / are close.

Let me know!!

Also, sounds to me like they are just going to pull it apart and replace one / more of the cells within the battery itself. Ask them if this is what they intend on doing, or if they are going to pull a battery from a used car.
Spdbump likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:45 PM

If you live somewhere near Wisconsin, I have one you can have for FREE!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:37 PM

Garage
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the offers. I am in central Alabama, the dealer is closed on the weekends so I will be going in today once it opens for clarification on what they want to replace
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

My guess is that it will be a full IMA battery replacement as they retail for around $1700 and the labor is not very intensive to change out the whole unit.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
Super Duper Member

Any possibility of any warranty left on the IMA? Or recall?

I doubt it but had to ask
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joev View Post
Thank you all for the offers. I am in central Alabama, the dealer is closed on the weekends so I will be going in today once it opens for clarification on what they want to replace
I'm willing to box mine up and ship it if you wanna save on cost. Shoot me a pm.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM

Garage
Buy a used hybrid battery, but who is going to remove and replace it for you?

Are you doing it yourself?

Im just asking because you can injure or shock yourself to death if you make a mistake. So take every precaution and or find someone with experience.

TWCompetition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in