Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Inconsistent starting

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Spdbump 
#1 ·
So I just bought my 2012 CR-Z EX whenever I go to start it and it's been sitting for more than 2 hours it'll click it'll start to start and then die or just won't start at all I use a jumper kit all I do is touch the battery and it starts it's got a 51r with 400 CCA 80 reserve amps didn't have trouble for the first week and a half of driving it now its being inconsistent I nee help comments or just point me in the right direction would be great

When this happens if I leave the key in the ignition the dash flashes every check system possible brake TPMS airbag abs VSA passenger side airbag then it cycles through again

#3 ·
#4 ·
I have a 2013 CR-Z and still running on the original OEM battery. No problems at all--am I just lucky? I figure it's more because I don't listen to the audio system while the car is off, put the trickle charger on it if I know it's going to be dormant for 2-3 weeks, and very rarely make short trips (each start-up is followed by a trip that's at least 20 miles or 20 minutes,) which is better on keeping the 12v battery happy and healthy.
:grin2:

#6 ·
Yeah, usually its the short trips + using the audio that does it. Here during winter, I will only get like 1 crank from the battery on super cold days (-20F). So, thats why I switched to the 51R.

Also, I would have somewhere else check your battery as well. Sounds unlikely that its 'perfectly fine'. Autozone does it for free. Might just be good to get a second opinion. Check the terminals as well. Make sure they are clean, tight, etc.

#7 ·
lol. 12V battery is dead.
you need a new 12 volt battery.
Fixed it for you, @Fediej
I got it checked they said it was charging and discharging fine
you bring up a good point my daily is only like 4 miles and I blast the speakers tbh
What was the CCA rating? cuz you're showing all of the classic signs of the 12V being dead on the CRZ. Mine got down to 55 CCA and would still start the car, but the rating on the battery is 550. it's not the same as the signs of a dead battery in other cars.
Yeah, usually its the short trips + using the audio that does it.
This guy right here has it.. Short trips kill it super fast. if you're only doing 4 miles a day, I'd expect your 12v to only last 18 months. The reason for this is that the DC-DC converter is only putting out like 50-60 amps, while an alternator puts out 90-150 amps. it's a super slow charge and the traditional "drive it for 15 minutes to charge up the battery" needs to be a 1-2hr drive on the CRZ, especially if you use up 20A blasting the radio.
I have a 2013 CR-Z and still running on the original OEM battery. No problems at all
For now. >:)

#11 ·
So a lot to unload thanks for all the advice

Got it checked at AutoZone twice the first guy I just hooked it up to the car the car was off but immediately just said yeah I know it's good and then went back inside the second time I went they had me remove the battery then connected it and said they like yeah that's good but it is a three-year-old battery still in warranty somehowbut I think me buying the car should have voided it (don't know if AutoZone warranties transfer with the ownership or not). So going to try having O'Reilly's do it after letting it die and then taking it there and another car

Does anyone know if there's any other battery type that handles the low recharge rate better or perhaps getting a capacitor for the audio system

Also you guys all rock loving this forum so far

#12 ·
If you are going to buy a new battery.. go with Walmart brand Everstart Maxx 51R battery.

They kick ass.

Plus, 3 year hassle free replacement and walmarts everywhere. And, their stock goes quick so that means the batteries are always new. They are made by Johnson Controls. Same people who make Interstate.

I don't think there is a battery that would handle it better. I just have a feeling yours is not working right. If you get the 51R battery (normal civic size), they have a much higher 'reserve' amount than the stock 151R (lawn mower) battery.

BTW... How are they testing it? They need to do a 'LOAD' test on it:

Good luck.

Sounds like your battery is just junk though, or going bad. You could try charging it and seeing if it helps, but, really, it just sounds like its junked and needs to be replaced.

Time to upgrade to a 51R Everstart Maxx from walmart!!

#14 ·
I don't know they just plugged it up to this thing with jumper cables they never told me anything they just said yeah looks fine and then made fun of me for driving a hybrid since I'm in Georgia lol. See that's why I drive a truck meanwhile he's using a dually as as daily driver it hurts my soul so much money wasted. Definitely just going to go grab one from Walmart I work there so 10% off even better and thanks for the video I'll let you guys know if I have any more problems after that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.