Inconsistent starting - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

So I just bought my 2012 CR-Z EX whenever I go to start it and it's been sitting for more than 2 hours it'll click it'll start to start and then die or just won't start at all I use a jumper kit all I do is touch the battery and it starts it's got a 51r with 400 CCA 80 reserve amps didn't have trouble for the first week and a half of driving it now its being inconsistent I nee help comments or just point me in the right direction would be great

When this happens if I leave the key in the ignition the dash flashes every check system possible brake TPMS airbag abs VSA passenger side airbag then it cycles through again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:06 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
Sounds like you may need a new 12 volt battery.
+1. Welcome to the club of (most asked questions), and Dead 12v's! Haha.

But really, upgrade to a 51R battery while you are at it. Heavily discussed here:

https://www.crzforum.com/forum/engin...r-battery.html

https://www.crzforum.com/forum/engin...ery-worth.html

Its one of the best mods ive done, and highly recommend everyone do it when their first 12v Battery (151R) dies.
Juvat likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I have a 2013 CR-Z and still running on the original OEM battery. No problems at all--am I just lucky? I figure it's more because I don't listen to the audio system while the car is off, put the trickle charger on it if I know it's going to be dormant for 2-3 weeks, and very rarely make short trips (each start-up is followed by a trip that's at least 20 miles or 20 minutes,) which is better on keeping the 12v battery happy and healthy.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sounds like you may need a new 12 volt battery.
I got it checked they said it was charging and discharging fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
I have a 2013 CR-Z and still running on the original OEM battery. No problems at all--am I just lucky? I figure it's more because I don't listen to the audio system while the car is off, put the trickle charger on it if I know it's going to be dormant for 2-3 weeks, and very rarely make short trips (each start-up is followed by a trip that's at least 20 miles or 20 minutes,) which is better on keeping the 12v battery happy and healthy.
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/CRZForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
you bring up a good point my daily is only like 4 miles and I blast the speakers tbh
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 AM
Super Duper Member

Yeah, usually its the short trips + using the audio that does it. Here during winter, I will only get like 1 crank from the battery on super cold days (-20F). So, thats why I switched to the 51R.

Also, I would have somewhere else check your battery as well. Sounds unlikely that its 'perfectly fine'. Autozone does it for free. Might just be good to get a second opinion. Check the terminals as well. Make sure they are clean, tight, etc.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:07 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedwolf View Post
So I just bought my 2012 CR-Z EX whenever I go to start it and it's been sitting for more than 2 hours it'll click it'll start to start and then die or just won't start at all I use a jumper kit all I do is touch the battery and it starts it's got a 51r with 400 CCA 80 reserve amps didn't have trouble for the first week and a half of driving it now its being inconsistent I nee help comments or just point me in the right direction would be great

When this happens if I leave the key in the ignition the dash flashes every check system possible brake TPMS airbag abs VSA passenger side airbag then it cycles through again
lol. 12V battery is dead.
Quote:
you need a new 12 volt battery.
Fixed it for you, @Fediej
Quote:
you bring up a good point my daily is only like 4 miles and I blast the speakers tbh
What was the CCA rating? cuz you're showing all of the classic signs of the 12V being dead on the CRZ. Mine got down to 55 CCA and would still start the car, but the rating on the battery is 550. it's not the same as the signs of a dead battery in other cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
Yeah, usually its the short trips + using the audio that does it.
This guy right here has it.. Short trips kill it super fast. if you're only doing 4 miles a day, I'd expect your 12v to only last 18 months. The reason for this is that the DC-DC converter is only putting out like 50-60 amps, while an alternator puts out 90-150 amps. it's a super slow charge and the traditional "drive it for 15 minutes to charge up the battery" needs to be a 1-2hr drive on the CRZ, especially if you use up 20A blasting the radio.
Quote:
I have a 2013 CR-Z and still running on the original OEM battery. No problems at all
For now.
litz and Fediej like this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Depending on how soon you had it tested after jumping it, you won't get an accurate result. Little phenomenon called "surface charge." Your car is a 2012, it would have come with a 151r so the previous owner swapped in the so called "upgrade" for some reason, most likely the same as what you're dealing with now. Did they bother to pull the date markers so you can see how old it is? If they didn't drive it much the life span has already been compromised. Sounds like most of your trips are short so you're killing it (and not in the good way) as well. Both of my CR-Zs were low mileage when I bought them. And both had multiple battery replacements due to not being driven enough. My first was on it's 3rd already when I bought it, and it was a 2014, I bought it in early 2017. My current (*ahem* electrical pun! ) CR-Z is on it's 2nd, and I had it less than a year when it needed to be replaced.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
You go above and beyond what the average consumer is expected to do. And there may be a little luck of the draw (another electrical pun!) at play.
litz likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:

They tested the car with it running. They did not test the battery. You need a load test with the car not running or the Battery out of the car. As this is a Hybrid the usual testing with it running gives false readings of the under hood battery condition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode