battery seems fine... - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By tikeybun
  • 1 Post By 96firephoenix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Question battery seems fine...

So I've been having this issue starting my 2011 Z. I let it sit this past winter for about a month and I was having problems starting it obviously after letting it sit that long. I got it running again and it started consistently fine until last night. (Luckily I carry around a jumper with me) I know I shouldn't trust the battery gauge on the dash but after jumping it the battery gauge reads only a bar or two from full. I had my battery changed maybe 3-4 years ago? Is it time for a new battery or could it be a fuse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Super Duper Member

Under Hood battery has nothing to do with battery gauge on dash. Have the Under Hood battery Load tested or just replace it . They tend to not last a long time for some of us. The Battery Gauge on dash is for the IMA ( integrated Motor Assist Hybrid Battery). Which battery did you have replaced the under hood 12 volt or the IMA? the IMA battery should last the life of the car. Under hood is a wear out item.

IMA battery is several thousand under hood is Less than or more than a hundred or so. Big Difference.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing up the difference between the IMA and the under the hood. It's probably the under the hood battery that needs to be replaced as you mentioned that the 12v battery doesn't last very long for some of us. My only question is why would it work for a few weeks and then kaput?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Super Duper Member

Nature of batteries. In a CR-Z we need just enough energy to kick the process off then IMA and big battery takes over.Look at the many other threads about the 12 Volt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKTHUNDER View Post
Thanks for clearing up the difference between the IMA and the under the hood. It's probably the under the hood battery that needs to be replaced as you mentioned that the 12v battery doesn't last very long for some of us. My only question is why would it work for a few weeks and then kaput?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Nature of batteries. In a CR-Z we need just enough energy to kick the process off then IMA and big battery takes over.Look at the many other threads about the 12 Volt.
Like Spdbump said. 12v is used to boot the ima computer. It only needs something like 50 CCA. Just because the car starts doesn't mean the 12v is healthy. Gas cars need more CCA to start so a weak battery will be more obvious in those.
litz and Spdbump like this.

2011 CPB CRZ
Suspension work, intake, exhaust/2nd decat
2017 Black EcoBoost Mustang
Suspension work, Bolt-ons, BAMA tune
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikeybun View Post
Like Spdbump said. 12v is used to boot the ima computer. It only needs something like 50 CCA. Just because the car starts doesn't mean the 12v is healthy. Gas cars need more CCA to start so a weak battery will be more obvious in those.
mine started fine on a battery that only tested 55CCA, so you're not far off. The only other symptoms I had were that the Radio died in like 30 seconds in Acc. position, and that the lights were dim when the engine wasn't running. I think I had maybe one turn of the key that didn't start the car, which still happens from time to time with a new battery.

The reason the 12v battery doesn't last as long in a hybrid or EV is that an alternator charges at about 110A, but the DC-DC converter only charges at about 30-50A. The old "start up and run the car for 20 min" to charge the battery turns into a 1-2 hour drive to get the same charge.
Spdbump likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Garage
Also, unlike a standard Gas engine the DC-DC converter is something like $2k-$3k new whereas a new alternator can be had for $100-$200 from an auto parts store. You always want to pray that any electrical or charging system issues are the cause of a faulty battery and not the DC-DC converter. I have heard that the DC-DC converter is somewhat easy to replace though if it fails. That may save some labor $$$ at the dealership.

2011 CPB CRZ
Suspension work, intake, exhaust/2nd decat
2017 Black EcoBoost Mustang
Suspension work, Bolt-ons, BAMA tune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode