10w40 in an engine from Belgium - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

10w40 in an engine from Belgium

Hello, again, guys

So, I am set on buying this car in Belgium (near Brussels), but I have this uncertainty, and I really need your input there.

the guy that sells it to me is very kind and he answer all my requests. among others, he sent to me any service documents he has from the garage(s) he serviced the car (it was always a Honda service). But I cannot understand this thing. Why on earth did the Honda guys put 10w40 oil in this engine in the first (recorded) maintenance entries? (at 15.500 km and 35.100 km). After that they changed with 5w30 at 57.000 km. and then again 10w40 and then 0w20, 5w30...? All the official answers from Honda (customer services) was nothing more than: „As the owner’s manual tells you, the recommended engine oil type is 0W20. What we can provide you is the information above.”
Now, is it a practice in Belgium? Is it an exception? what did your garage put in the engine? and why did they used such a thick oil? It has smth to do with the outside temperature in Belgium?

And, most important, HOW MUCH THIS AFFECTED THE ENGINE?

I list here the resume of the maintenance in the Honda garages, as it shows on the papers (only main items included):

7/11/11 15.500km - oil 10W40; oil filter
16/11/12 35.100km - oil 10W40; oil filter; air filter; polen filter; brake pads;
5/11/13 57.100km - oil 5W30; oil filter;
13/4/15 75.251km - oil 10W40; oil filter; air filter; polen filter; brake pads; cleaning of injection system; heat cleaning; brake fluid;
30/5/16 94.650km - oil 0W20; air filter; windscreen washers; pollen filter; update HDS
27/3/17 113.231km - oil 5W30; oil filter; brake pads; update HDS
26/7/17 119.016km - transmission fluid; frictieschijf; druckschijf; speciale kogellager; oil seal;
24/9/18 - heat shield
5/31/18 137.773km - oil 5W30; sparks; oil filter; pollen filter; air filter; update HDS

What do you think about this service plan (service interval, materials used)? maybe compared with what you have. I appreciate very much your answers!

I already arranged the trip to see the car and everything else seems fine, but I have this annoying exclamation sign in my mind about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:47 PM

Garage
The engine in this car requires 0w-20 oil. I'm curious as to why 10-w40 was used in some of the oil changes. That's a pretty heavy oil for the engine.

2011 CPB CRZ
Suspension work, intake, exhaust/2nd decat
2017 Black EcoBoost Mustang
Suspension work, Bolt-ons, BAMA tune
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
The thicker oils may have been at the request of the owner, possibly due to an old school mentality. My step-father is of the camp that thinks anything lighter than 10w30 may just as well be water. Or it could have been just because the synthetic 0w20 is more expensive. You'd have to ask the owner. Either way, if 10-40 was the thickest viscosity used it's Doubtful that the engine suffered any ill effects, other than hurting the fuel mileage a bit.
Concerning the schedule, Judging from the mileage it looks like the owner most likely followed the maintenance minder down to the 10% threshold.
litz likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

If I put again 0w20 the fuel consumption would restore to normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:28 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beniamin View Post
If I put again 0w20 the fuel consumption would restore to normal?
Most likely.
It's also possible that the documentation is just plain inaccurate, done by a clerk that didn't fill in the correct oil types. Someone mentioned in your other thread on this subject that there may be something that the service center was trying to hide. While that scenario is possible, it's doubtful that they would try to cover it up by documenting the heavier weight oils. If anything, they would lie and say they used only what Honda requires.
The only other reason I can think of for using the thicker oils is that maybe there is an oil consumption issue. There are some people who try to compensate for oil usage, when there's no visible signs of burning or leaking, by using a thicker viscosity. Maybe while checking the oil level on that first oil change the tech compensated for a perceived low oil level by putting in the 10-40, and kept going with it. As stated before, the Only way to know for sure would be to talk to the owner of the vehicle.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

yes, I asked him and he said he never needed to top up. Now he uses 5w30

And also, about consumption, he said if he drives normal it takes between 5.5-6.5. Driving sporty takes 7-7.5
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
The thicker oils may have been at the request of the owner, possibly due to an old school mentality.
I don't think he is into that. He does not seems to be very concerned about the car, as long as it takes it for service regularly. Rather it was the service decision, I assume.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
Most likely.
It's also possible that the documentation is just plain inaccurate, done by a clerk that didn't fill in the correct oil types.
I didnot think at this. Anyways I wrote to the service, waiting for a response. Hope they will have the amiability to answer
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beniamin View Post
yes, I asked him and he said he never needed to top up. Now he uses 5w30

And also, about consumption, he said if he drives normal it takes between 5.5-6.5. Driving sporty takes 7-7.5
Pretty much any Honda engine built since the beginning has been known to burn little to no oil over the life of the engine. Unless the engine was poorly maintained and abused, it's unlikely you'll see extreme oil consumption from the engine.

2011 CPB CRZ
Suspension work, intake, exhaust/2nd decat
2017 Black EcoBoost Mustang
Suspension work, Bolt-ons, BAMA tune
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikeybun View Post
Pretty much any Honda engine built since the beginning has been known to burn little to no oil over the life of the engine. Unless the engine was poorly maintained and abused, it's unlikely you'll see extreme oil consumption from the engine.

The thick oil is abuse! wouldn't that starve upper parts of engine of oil? But some mechanics will do that when an engine makes noise instead of properly adjusting it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode