10w40 in an engine from Belgium - Page 2 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
The thick oil is abuse! wouldn't that starve upper parts of engine of oil?...
I guess there's two threads going on this same issue, but it that other thread I said you'd have to tear down the engine to see if it made any difference, and I'll wager that you wouldn't even be able to detect any problem other than normal wear and tear. Abuse is running it down to 1 quart of oil in the sump and hammering it through the twisties all summer. No abuse is clearly the wrong term. It's not that I'm saying it's okay, but it's nothing to worry about. Use is as a tool to get a better deal on the car; buy it; replace all fluids to OEM spec, if it pleases you; drive it, and forget it.
Fediej likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:25 AM

In South Africa, the owner's manual suggests 0W30, 5W30 or 10W30. The service manager for one of the dealers in my area even told me that he prefers a 40 viscosity due to our hot climate. I currently run 5W40 Shell Helix Ultra.

Oil gets thinner, the hotter it gets. So it probably depends on your climate whether a thicker oil is a bad thing or not.
litz and Fediej like this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

That is a little bit comforting to know, if they recommended 10w also for warmer countries. Well, Belgium is not hot but not cold also. Negative temperatures are very rare and summer is not too hot, maybe 25 degrees. Well, I don't think I could lower the price anymore on this ground (he already let 500 from price at the first negotiation and there are more urgent problems to solve like brakes, because they are under 1mm and I have to drive 2000 km home). And he also payed a battery test at Honda on my behalf.
Thank you for the input. Yes, definitely I will change the oil after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
litz and Fediej like this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:47 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
.....My step-father is of the camp that thinks anything lighter than 10w30 may just as well be water. .....
And I'll bet he can't tell you what 0W means.

I don't know why it wants it, but if Honda says 0W, that's what I'm staying with.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post

I don't know why it wants it, but if Honda says 0W, that's what I'm staying with.
Yeah, that "w" is for winter, not weight or whatever or even wtf...
Spdbump, Fediej and Eddie70 like this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:

In summary The number before the W is the equivalent Viscosity when it is cold out ( W for Winter) The number at end is the Viscosity at normal operating temperatures. I presume the engineers that designed our engines have very good technical reasons as to why they chose the specification oil they chose and since they are better educated than I am on what is needed for the engine I follow their specifications with one change Fully Synthetic so we do not use up all the non renewable oil from the ground for Oil. The CR-Z will need Gasoline so I want more of the resource to go for that rather than lubricating oil.

Doing a little Googling I found the Below:

Here is the long winded technical explanation:
The number before the W describes the viscosity of the oil at low temperatures. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and the better the oil’s cold temperature/ cold start performance. The number after the W describes how thick the oil is at the engine’s normal operating temperature.

Multigrade oils such as SAE 5W-30 and 10W-40 are widely used because, under all but extremely hot or cold conditions, they are thin enough to flow at low temperatures and thick enough to perform satisfactorily at high temperatures. In other words, the choice of viscosity would be different depending on whether you are living in Finland (0W/ 5W-30) or Nigeria (5W/10W/15W40 or even 20W50).

Please note that vehicle requirements may vary so consult your car’s handbook for the correct viscosity grade.
Fediej likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:51 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
What I remember from long ago, and which I'm too lazy to bother looking up now, was that the "W" rating was the viscosity of the oil at 0F. So at zero, a 0W-rated oil should have the same internal resistance to flow that a 0-weight oil will have at 70F. This molecular-level manipulation is done through the application of magic.

But then, from those same halcyon days, an oil's service rating of "S" meant it had been formulated for use in a spark-ignition engine, and the "C" rating was for a compression-ignition (Diesel) engines. Now the actual, real, official API sight will tell you the "S" means "Service", as in replacement oil. I had several email exchanges with them along the lines of "What the hell are you clowns talking about?", since they were mucking with their own "official" designations. But, this is the path that once-great civilizations (or, more specifically, civilisations) all seem to eventually travel. The Collapse.

For the most current, and probably most accurate information on lubricants and other chemicals, hit up https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Fediej likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:00 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Actually, he's quite aware. However, being a truck driver and diesel technician for most of his life has made him just a little biased towards the thicker oils.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

10w40 in an engine from Belgium

Hello, guys. I brought the car home. The oil life was close to end, so I filled up with Honda oil 0w20, that I had in store from the previous car.

I have to see how it behaves
Spdbump and Fediej like this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:21 PM

Garage
I know that in the UK a lot of workshops (including main dealers) buy Shell Helix 10W40 in 209 litre drums (it's very cheap), and put that in everything they service. It's one of the many reasons that I've always serviced my own cars.

The correct Honda lubricants for our CR-Zs are not particularly expensive, and I always use them...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode