12V Replacement- is AGM worth it? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

12V Replacement- is AGM worth it?

Well, since Costco does not carry the right battery for the Crz, I am looking at retail replacements for it. Is it worth considering an AGM battery given my tendency to put a strain on the electronics (mostly driving with ac and radio on, and often at night so lights too) as, from what I understand, that may tolerate the discharge state a bit more than the standard variety? I am sure I am going to screw up and leave something on at some point, and the idea that doing so will likely kill the battery is discouraging, so depending on how much more it might cost to have a little extra insurance that I won't be flatlining the battery if I forget and leave a map light on or something, I think I'd prefer to do that. Anyone have suggestions for good brands or other options to consider?

(I wasn't even aware that the old battery had an "eye" indicator on it at all, as it was totally dark. My bf is stubbornly reluctant to declare it deceased for some reason and decided to try checking the fluid in it, and found it nearly dry. Thinking it probably couldn't do any worse than it already was, I said go ahead and top it off, but I don't know that adding distilled water to it has improved matters, and it sounds like I might as well just buy a new one anyway rather than struggle with it. But why is it that the thing says right on it "maintenance free" and then right below that has some other contradictory statement about checking fluid levels? I don't get how they can put both things at once and make any sense at all)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 PM

I have seen people replacing it with group 51R battery. You would need to remove the tray.

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

indeed, I'm not even sure that anyone makes the 151R with AGM at all. Although, if they did, I think that would be the way to go. I am going to have to drive more or let my mother take it once a week to play tennis just to make sure it gets the exercise. But am seriously considering this 51R option just for the sake of it being available from Costco. If it fits so well, I am wondering why Honda went with the smaller one rather than this size originally. Are there other drawbacks that might be considered here if I replace with a 51R instead?

Are there any standout direct fit options that offer more than another?

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxleo View Post
(I wasn't even aware that the old battery had an "eye" indicator on it at all, as it was totally dark. My bf is stubbornly reluctant to declare it deceased for some reason and decided to try checking the fluid in it, and found it nearly dry. Thinking it probably couldn't do any worse than it already was, I said go ahead and top it off, but I don't know that adding distilled water to it has improved matters, and it sounds like I might as well just buy a new one anyway rather than struggle with it.
I thought the battery with the "eye" was supposed to be replaced under some sort of campaign or service bulletin. I might be mis-remembering but Honda themselves may owe you a new battery. Members with those older models please chime in on that.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:39 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
indeed, I'm not even sure that anyone makes the 151R with AGM at all. Although, if they did, I think that would be the way to go. I am going to have to drive more or let my mother take it once a week to play tennis just to make sure it gets the exercise. But am seriously considering this 51R option just for the sake of it being available from Costco. If it fits so well, I am wondering why Honda went with the smaller one rather than this size originally. Are there other drawbacks that might be considered here if I replace with a 51R instead?

Are there any standout direct fit options that offer more than another?
Direct replacement 151R:
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...search-results
or, if you're going to bother with cutting your tray, and you really want an "improvement" you may as well pony up for the Yellow Top 51R:
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...e-battery/d51r
Just my humble opinions, Outside of just grabbing the Everstart 151R from Walmart with 3year free replacement +2year pro-rated warranty, those were the options I was kicking around, had my battery not been covered by Honda.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Super Duper Member

Itís a battery, it's a wear out item. If it has failed find what ever replacement you can find in your area either stock or bigger. If you don't drive the car a lot and run the accessories without the car running the under hood battery will fail sooner. We don't need huge CCAs(Cold Cranking Amps) as the CR-Z usually uses the big IMA battery and IMA Motor generator to start. This topic has been discussed to death.

SUMMARY if car is acting weird electrically Load Test (with car off) and probably replace the 12 Volt under hood battery!
CrzyCRZ likes this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
Direct replacement 151R:
or, if you're going to bother with cutting your tray, and you really want an "improvement" you may as well pony up for the Yellow Top 51R
Considering that I am not at all happy without the tunes kicking on the stereo and like a cool cabin sans wind noise from open windows AND have the constant need of something or other plugged into the lighter socket for charging a cell phone or ipod, be it my own or someone else's, I was thinking along these lines already. I would have gone with an AGM option over standard SLA if they had it in the 151R group size for sure, but I was wary of creating further issues by making alterations without being sure that the side effects were negligible...

The Yellow Top had been on my radar from the get-go, and confirmed as an option in one of the other threads on the 12v. If it isn't a major hassle in switching other components to accommodate the 51R, I think that is probably the better idea to invest the cash now and save future hassle that is likely to arise from 12v battery weakness later. It's one thing to be hooking up the jumper cables while in the comfort of my own driveway, or parked somewhere when I can trickle charge as a prevention, but it is quite another to end up dead in the water in a live traffic situation like last night. That has definitely got me comfortable with the idea of higher costs associated with stepping up the battery reliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
Direct replacement 151R:
or, if you're going to bother with cutting your tray, and you really want an "improvement" you may as well pony up for the Yellow Top 51R
Considering that I am not at all happy without the tunes kicking on the stereo and like a cool cabin sans wind noise from open windows AND have the constant need of something or other plugged into the lighter socket for charging a cell phone or ipod, be it my own or someone else's, I was thinking along these lines already. I would have gone with an AGM option over standard SLA if they had it in the 151R group size for sure, but I was wary of creating further issues by making alterations without being sure that the side effects were negligible...

The Yellow Top had been on my radar from the get-go, and confirmed as an option in one of the other threads on the 12v. If it isn't a major hassle in switching other components to accommodate the 51R, I think that is probably the better idea to invest the cash now and save future hassle that is likely to arise from 12v battery weakness later. It's one thing to be hooking up the jumper cables while in the comfort of my own driveway, or parked somewhere when I can trickle charge as a prevention, but it is quite another to end up dead in the water in a live traffic situation like last night. That has definitely got me comfortable with the idea of higher costs associated with stepping up the battery reliance.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:23 PM
Super Duper Member

Go with the 51R. You don't need to remove the battery tray, just need to take a dremel, hacksaw, sharp scissors and cut the right hand lip off. I think its right. Either right or left. Its super easy!!

One of the best mods i've ever done. At least.. because I live in a freezing cold place in winter. Not to mention the extra capacity and cranking amps.

I made a post on how to do it. Its somewhere around here..

Oh, and my opinion, the best batteries are the ones at walmart now. Made by Johnson controls, top quality (same company that makes interstate), and they are cheap, and have a long 3 year warrantee no questions asked replacement. Everstart Maxx I think they are called. Love mine and have had it for years now!!
CrzyCRZ likes this.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:11 AM
Super Duper Member

If car is running, the under hood battery has nothing to do with what you mention. All of your statements are just justification for buying a bigger battery. If it makes you happy who am I to say anything.
Quote:

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:48 AM

Garage
Honestly unless you have a high load such as a sub or lots of aftermarket electronics I wouldn't suggest a optima battery, agm is better than flooded for cars however I would recommend a eBay agm to save money if you just want agm however my advice is just replace it with a flooded if you don't plan any mods, regardless of what you get it wouldn't last as long as a normal car battery due to how our car charges so I would say buying the cheapest you can get would be better, that said agm might be worse they are very finicky with charging and while they normally have more charging cycles than flooded they are more prone to over charge and under charge issues, however it should be noted the way a yellow top is made as long as you get a yellow top and not a red or blue top it should, in theory, last close to as long as a lithium would as it has plenty of rc and is built for long discharges
If money isn't an issue I would recommend a lithium ion for about a 100 more than a optima you can get a direct replacement 12v lithium ion it wont just last about twice as long, its lighter by about 35 to 50 percent and it is more friendly to charge abuse however its very unlikely to have very much rc so if you plan on adding a sub or aftermarket electronics I wouldn't recommend it, should also state lithium ion is FAR better for cold weather than any lead acid type, altho out of all the lead acid types a agm would be the best lead acid for cold weather

Also like to note that I have a 51r optima yellow top and its VERY easy to install, I don't see the point in cutting the battery tray as its not needed with a agm anyways and you could always use it again if you decide to go back to a 151r, the tray isn't screwed to anything, once you take the battery out all you gotta do is remove it

Spdbump is right once the car is running everything runs off the dctodc converter the only reason a bigger battery would help is if you have a hot line running directly from the battery
CrzyCRZ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode