Failing battery causing all the issues! - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Failing battery causing all the issues!

Hello Forum friends,

I literally just created an account here to speak about my car and I wanted to see if anyone can help me

So here is what lead up to the events of why I am posting here.

So about 2 months ago I had an issue when trying to start my car. It just clicked and all the lights in the dash were lit up. So I checked all the fuses and nothing seemed wrong. I spoke with my father and he suggested removing the negative terminal and waiting about 5 mins. This worked and I put the terminal back on, or so I thought.

About a week and a half ago, I've been having issues with my car battery being at a constant 7 volts, and I figured it might be a bad connection (causing what I assume is a type of parasitic draw?). I tightened the nut a bit tougher to the terminal and it was nice and snug. Not loose or moving at all. Well after a bit more driving back and forth using a jump kit to start my car, I would seem that after driving about 30mins+ the battery had enough charge to allow another engine ignition. But at the end of my work day, the car sitting for 10hours, the battery was dead once more.

This morning I was leaving for work, and as I go to start the car nothing, so I tried something my dad said about rolling/push start. I rolled down the drive way and nothing. I ended up having to use the jump kit again. As I started it gain, all my dash lights were off (like how it looks when you first push your keys in but not turn) and the car was on, but the power steering was completely gone aswell. I was so worried I left my car home and now Im at work using a borrowed car.

TL;DR Battery done **** on me possibly due to user error.

My car: Stock Honda CRZ EX 2015 Manual with Navi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I want to try that, but after I trying doing a slow low voltage trickle charge, do you think it would be a viable solution to at least try?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaPyro View Post
I want to try that, but after I trying doing a slow low voltage trickle charge, do you think it would be a viable solution to at least try?
You can try that, but I am of the same mind as Fediej. I think you are going to wind up with a new battery. Seems batteries do not last nearly as long as they used to. My truck's battery is very weak and it's 3 years old also.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Trickle charging is a viable solution if you turn the clock back to two months ago, when you first had the 12v battery failure. Nevertheless, you can give it a shot and hook up the trickle charger overnight, one night per week, until it leaves you stranded again.

I have a 2013, and I'm still on the OEM battery from the factory, with no signs of failure. If/when it does fail on me for the first time, I'll try to extend its life by hooking up the trickle charger once per week or so and see what happens, knowing that a new battery is needed in the near future.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:53 AM
Super Duper Member

RE. PLACE. THE. 12V. BATTERY.

End of story

Quote:
do you think it would be a viable solution to at least try?
If you're ever reading 7v on your battery after 2 months of battery issues, it is far beyond saving. You're welcome to try the trickle charge, but it's not even a viable band-aid in my opinion, let alone a solution by any stretch.
HondaHolly likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 03:03 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
.....I've been having issues with my car battery being at a constant 7 volts....
Holy crap, that's not a battery. It's an anchor for your punt.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Elite Member

Garage
the 12V system just sucks period on these cars. the charging prioritizes the IMA battery over the 12V system, and even then, it's a converter piggy backing off the high voltage system. with no alternator directly powering the 12V system, basically if your traction (IMA) battery state of charge is reading low, the 12V system doesn't get all the juice it needs, just the bare minimum to keep the car running.

what does that mean?

a short commute or constant stop and go traffic will almost always lead to a weak/dead 12V battery. same if you car sits for long periods.

i went from a 70 mile round trip commute to a 3 mile round trip commute. i now put the car on a battery charger/tender on the weekends to keep the battery happy.
Defiant likes this.

'13 CRZ - PWP EX 6MT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray View Post
a short commute or constant stop and go traffic will almost always lead to a weak/dead 12V battery. same if you car sits for long periods.
aaah...this is probably what is happening to ME as well.

Was about to post a similar issue with my battery seemingly kaput on the regular these days. I was wondering if there was some small mood light pulling power that I had not realized had been left on or something weird like that.

I already figured it was my own fault, though, as I don't drive much or far when I do, and in Los Angeles traffic no matter what,-- (I was so bummed that the drive to Idyllwild could not be done in the Crz last weekend just because it could never have handled the last bit of dirt road once there. It was tough on the GMC Sierra as it was, and almost called for a 4wd just to get from that main road to the house, so the low slung zed would have been literally impossible, but SO would have loved the rest of it all in my crz!) -- but I tend to sit in the car whenever I get back home and have the accessories going because a) the stereo in this thing is awesome, b) the seat is so comfortable, c) I just really REALLY like being in my crz so much and since I don't drive often or far and I like it so much, I'm always disappointed when I get where I am going and hate getting out again.

Add this to the fact that I left the dome lights on once when it sat for several days, and also accidentally drained the battery without realizing that the blower was on after putting in the key and then consulting my phone to get directions amd info on where I was going, AND the one note made by the inspector about this car when I bought it used just a few months ago (its a 2013 EX, original stock everything) was the slightly low battery -IMA, I think, which would affect the charge priority - reading, it suddenly seems like fate that I invested in a portable emergency power jump starter thingy from Costco shortly before acquiring this car.

I have put that jumper through it's paces in the short time I have had the car. It would seem that I have likely ensured the total death of the 12v with my habits and absent mindedness. Also, I have sat in it in the driveway listening to music until the stereo quit on me more than once, and failed to trickle charge immediately after (though I will know to do this in the future, since its bound to happen again. In fact, I'm typing this post whilst in my driveway right now, but at least the engine is idling this time.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray View Post

i went from a 70 mile round trip commute to a 3 mile round trip commute. i now put the car on a battery charger/tender on the weekends to keep the battery happy.

A new battery is seemingly a given then at this point, but It may behoove me to adopt a similar strategy to the weekly tender as a preventative measure, try and treat the new battery a little better considering the size and charging handicaps it faces. I was experiencing similar early battery death on the civic too with the lack of driving taking a toll even without the abuse the Crz gets with me just sitting in it all the time.

Is there any other precaution I can take to lessen the probable purchase of another new one in two more years with the minimal driving I do? Capacity increase or something?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:23 AM
Super Duper Member

Drive the car more! ( Take it out for long 30 or more minutes of driving as often as you can( stickers under hood say once a month))

On weekends I try to take The Speed Bump out for at least an hour of driving on a highway since my commute dropped from over 30 miles a day one way to 10. But The Speed Bump is my only child( Vehicle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxleo View Post
aaah...this is probably what is happening to ME as well.

Was about to post a similar issue with my battery seemingly kaput on the regular these days. I was wondering if there was some small mood light pulling power that I had not realized had been left on or something weird like that.

I already figured it was my own fault, though, as I don't drive much or far when I do, and in Los Angeles traffic no matter what,-- (I was so bummed that the drive to Idyllwild could not be done in the Crz last weekend just because it could never have handled the last bit of dirt road once there. It was tough on the GMC Sierra as it was, and almost called for a 4wd just to get from that main road to the house, so the low slung zed would have been literally impossible, but SO would have loved the rest of it all in my crz!) -- but I tend to sit in the car whenever I get back home and have the accessories going because a) the stereo in this thing is awesome, b) the seat is so comfortable, c) I just really REALLY like being in my crz so much and since I don't drive often or far and I like it so much, I'm always disappointed when I get where I am going and hate getting out again.

Add this to the fact that I left the dome lights on once when it sat for several days, and also accidentally drained the battery without realizing that the blower was on after putting in the key and then consulting my phone to get directions amd info on where I was going, AND the one note made by the inspector about this car when I bought it used just a few months ago (its a 2013 EX, original stock everything) was the slightly low battery -IMA, I think, which would affect the charge priority - reading, it suddenly seems like fate that I invested in a portable emergency power jump starter thingy from Costco shortly before acquiring this car.

I have put that jumper through it's paces in the short time I have had the car. It would seem that I have likely ensured the total death of the 12v with my habits and absent mindedness. Also, I have sat in it in the driveway listening to music until the stereo quit on me more than once, and failed to trickle charge immediately after (though I will know to do this in the future, since its bound to happen again. In fact, I'm typing this post whilst in my driveway right now, but at least the engine is idling this time.)

A new battery is seemingly a given then at this point, but It may behoove me to adopt a similar strategy to the weekly tender as a preventative measure, try and treat the new battery a little better considering the size and charging handicaps it faces. I was experiencing similar early battery death on the civic too with the lack of driving taking a toll even without the abuse the Crz gets with me just sitting in it all the time.

Is there any other precaution I can take to lessen the probable purchase of another new one in two more years with the minimal driving I do? Capacity increase or something?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in