P0420 Check Engine - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy P0420 Check Engine

I just got myself a CRZ 2010 with 53000km Japanese import. Overall i loved the car. Yesterday i was driving back home and Engine light pops up, i got it checked from a mechanic and he has given me the P0420 code, and suggesting a cleaning of Catalytic converter. I went through few links on the internet and got myself acquainted with the error a bit.
I just realized from the last owner that he has never changed the spark plug, so is the spark plug can be the cause of it? or i should stick with the cat cleaning. Also when should i change the Spark plugs? i am little bit worried about my car, its kind of disappointment to get the engine light on 2nd day of your car

Also is there a way to change Language from Japanese to English?

Need some help guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2018-06-07 at 3.39.16 PM.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	48633   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2018-06-07 at 3.39.31 PM.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	48649  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

Garage
That's quite low mileage to have that problem, but it might be due to poor quality fuel also, so run a few tanks of top tier fuel.

Spark plugs should be good for 150,000 km or around 100,000 miles, if I converted the numbers correctly. I don't know what "cleaning of Catalytic converter" consists of, so have your mechanic explain that to you (and enlighten me.)

I think you're stuck with the language that's set on your JDM model, but I know there's a forum member who's good at translation--maybe he's still around to help translate some things, but I can't remember his username to call a mention for him.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliShah View Post
I just got myself a CRZ 2010 with 53000km Japanese import. Overall i loved the car. Yesterday i was driving back home and Engine light pops up, i got it checked from a mechanic and he has given me the P0420 code, and suggesting a cleaning of Catalytic converter. I went through few links on the internet and got myself acquainted with the error a bit.
I just realized from the last owner that he has never changed the spark plug, so is the spark plug can be the cause of it? or i should stick with the cat cleaning. Also when should i change the Spark plugs? i am little bit worried about my car, its kind of disappointment to get the engine light on 2nd day of your car

Also is there a way to change Language from Japanese to English?

Need some help guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
That's quite low mileage to have that problem, but it might be due to poor quality fuel also, so run a few tanks of top tier fuel.

Spark plugs should be good for 150,000 km or around 100,000 miles, if I converted the numbers correctly. I don't know what "cleaning of Catalytic converter" consists of, so have your mechanic explain that to you (and enlighten me.)

I think you're stuck with the language that's set on your JDM model, but I know there's a forum member who's good at translation--maybe he's still around to help translate some things, but I can't remember his username to call a mention for him.
So where did you import the car to?

strictly speaking, 100K miles is 160K km. With only 53000 km (33000 mi) on the car, a bad catalytic converter is unlikely, and the spark plugs are nowhere near due for replacement.

As far as a cleaning, it's possible to clean the O2 sensors pre- and post- converter, but I've never seen a successful catalytic converter cleaning procedure.

Litz is right that you should run some good clean gas through the car. Japan uses a much higher octane rating in premium gas and a much lower basic (adjusted for the different scales For these scales, the US uses the AKI scale, and most of the rest of the world uses the RON scale) so your Japanese import would be tuned for 93 octane premium or 83 octane basic on the US scales.

Throw some premium or super gas in there depending on where you live and see if that code goes away.

I'm not sure about the language. I'm using google translate, so this Kanji is probably way off, but if you use the up/down arrows on your steering wheel until you see something like "設定を変更する" (chg setting) and hit the select/reset button. then your first option should be "ゲージ設定" (gauge settings) then your first option should be "言語を選択する" (select language)

Found someone on a toyota board who gave these kanji characters:
"言語" (language).
"英語" (English).

General consensus from various Toyota and Honda boards is that typically you're stuck with Japanese unless you swap the dash though.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I think you're stuck with the language that's set on your JDM model, but I know there's a forum member who's good at translation--maybe he's still around to help translate some things, but I can't remember his username to call a mention for him.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/CRZForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
t

The whole process of cleaning shall be removing cat and use some cleaner to remove the gunk or carbon deposits if any, and cleaning of O2 sensors.. I really dont trust those Mechanics, is it a risky thing to do? I am not sure

Also this happens in the evening and i did the tank full with Shell v power in the morning, 95 Ron is what they claim it to be.

Should i use some after market octane booster too? I get the code reset this morning and its been around 30Km and still no check light yet... What you guys suggest?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Super Duper Member

The only time this happened to me, it ended up being caused by one of my ignition coils starting to fail. I wouldn't find this out until later.

I have over 180k miles on my stock cat..I doubt yours is going bad.

It's most likely an ignition coil starting to fail. I would just wait until it dies more and starts throwing cylinder misfires. Then you can figure out which one it is. I did this by switching the suspected bad one to a different cylinder, and the code changes with it.

Purchase a new coil ahead of time to save on $. I paid $150 at local dealer. Online they can be had for like $40.

Good luck!!
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Duper Member

I agree with 96 on this. Your cat is probably tuned for higher octane. Put some higher octane fuel in, and maybe for this tank also add some octane booster until you can fill it with a higher octane.

That would be a good first try. Cheaper than throwing parts at it.

I can almost guarantee your CAT is fine.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
Quote:
I just realized from the last owner that he has never changed the spark plug, so is the spark plug can be the cause of it? or i should stick with the cat cleaning. Also when should i change the Spark plugs? i am little bit worried about my car, its kind of disappointment to get the engine light on 2nd day of your car [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/CRZForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG]

Also is there a way to change Language from Japanese to English?[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/CRZForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG]

Need some help guys
Quote:

I think you're stuck with the language that's set on your JDM model, but I know there's a forum member who's good at translation--maybe he's still around to help translate some things, but I can't remember his username to call a mention for him.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/CRZForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

strictly speaking, 100K miles is 160K km. With only 53000 km (33000 mi) on the car, a bad catalytic converter is unlikely, and the spark plugs are nowhere near due for replacement.

As far as a cleaning, it's possible to clean the O2 sensors pre- and post- converter, but I've never seen a successful catalytic converter cleaning procedure.

Litz is right that you should run some good clean gas through the car. Japan uses a much higher octane rating in premium gas and a much lower basic (adjusted for the different scales For these scales, the US uses the AKI scale, and most of the rest of the world uses the RON scale) so your Japanese import would be tuned for 93 octane premium or 83 octane basic on the US scales.

Throw some premium or super gas in there depending on where you live and see if that code goes away.

I'm not sure about the language. I'm using google translate, so this Kanji is probably way off, but if you use the up/down arrows on your steering wheel until you see something like "設定を変更する" (chg setting) and hit the select/reset button. then your first option should be "ゲージ設定" (gauge settings) then your first option should be "言語を選択する" (select language)

"言語" (language).
"英語" (English).

General consensus from various Toyota and Honda boards is that typically you're stuck with Japanese unless you siwap the dash though.
Well thanks man, i will check those Kanji tomorrow and will let you know.
I did the tank full with Super fuel the one available in Pakistan, though i am not very much satisfied with the fuel quality myself, recent news suggest the high manganese contents were found in those fuel.. so i am really not sure what cause this P0420. And i also dont want the mechanic to start experimenting on my baby. Please Suggest what should i do.

After error code reset its not popped up again but if it does this will halt the driving mode function which sucks.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Super Duper Member

Just drive it until it dies or throws an engine misfire code. I have a feeling it might be a bad coil. Or bad fuel.

Also, how new is the 12v battery??

You should buy a cheap obd2 scanner.

Do you smell fuel at all when driving?

You might want to add some dry gas to your fuel too (alcohol) so that it absorbs any possible water.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
Quote:
I just realized from the last owner that he has never changed the spark plug, so is the spark plug can be the cause of it? or i should stick with the cat cleaning. Also when should i change the Spark plugs? i am little bit worried about my car, its kind of disappointment to get the engine light on 2nd day of your car [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/CRZForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG]

Also is there a way to change Language from Japanese to English?[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/CRZForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG]

Need some help guys
Quote:

"言語" (language).
"英語" (English).

General consensus from various Toyota and Honda boards is that typically you're stuck with Japanese unless you siwap the dash though.
Well thanks man, i will check those Kanji tomorrow and will let you know.
I did the tank full with Super fuel the one available in Pakistan, though i am not very much satisfied with the fuel quality myself, recent news suggest the high manganese contents were found in those fuel.. so i am really not sure what cause this P0420. And i also dont want the mechanic to start experimenting on my baby. Please Suggest what should i do.

After error code reset its not popped up again but if it does this will halt the driving mode function which sucks.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:53 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
High octane won't do anything to improve cleaning, but I wonder if the car's been subjected to leaded gas, which will cause havoc with the converter (cataclysmic diverter), the exhaust crud coating the catalyst. Unleaded fuel is supposed to clean this off after a few tanks, if that's the trouble.

Don't be concerned with "top tier" stories- they're mostly just that. Much like the "differences" in bottled water.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
Just drive it until it dies or throws an engine misfire code. I have a feeling it might be a bad coil. Or bad fuel.

Also, how new is the 12v battery??

You should buy a cheap obd2 scanner.

Do you smell fuel at all when driving?

You might want to add some dry gas to your fuel too (alcohol) so that it absorbs any possible water.
I am not sure about the battery, will get it checked today and let you know. No fuel smell at the moment. Does anyone know how can i get the ignition coil checked?

Not sure if this matters but the car is giving me around 11KM/L or 26mpg at the moment. Now i am holding till the light pops up again, hopefully the issue is just fuel quality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode