I got the inspiration from this
thread, and some others that were on the forum and have wanted to do this sort of thing for a long while now.
The project is to have the interior floorwell LEDs change and transition the same colors as the instrument clusters drive-mode colors - Red, Blue, Green.
I don't want to rip apart my CRZ in the process, and experimentally am going to try to achieve the same effect, so I've purchased an interesting TV backlight LED Kit
which'll be driving the main features, it's still on its way from the states but I'm hoping (and excited) that it arrives soon.
This shows how well the kit can work when setup well -
this one shows off the music mode somewhat toward the middle of the video -
It may not be the most accurate bias color changing led kit around, but since it uses a camera, i think its going to suit my purpose perfectly, much easier than fiddling with a rpi/audrino and all that.
So, it seems the kits camera is about the size of a 50c piece (i know, australiaisms amirite) so with any luck i may find a way to mount it where its subtle and non-obstructing, and in-case it isn't feasible to mount it to read the cluster directly (with a mirror or whatever), then i've been looking into ways to workaround that and that should be sorted by sourcing an av borescope or so. luckily theres some cheap enough options for this eg 1
Theres some prerequisites and stages that i'm planning to do with this DIY so i'll go over those, and there's some factors that could can
the project altogether - the major being if the led kits Central box doesnt have a mode remember capability when powered down (power cycle persistent)
the prerequisites are:
- I'll need to do away with the kits wall adapter and get a 12v 0.5a car plug to DC jack cable (shouldn't be too difficult, may need to DIY something for the amp limiting)
- if a bore/endo-scope is needed so the cam facing the cluster is tiny, it'll have to also be a 5 or 12v solution that is always-on, and i'll need to make a small housing to hold (and block all outside light for) the little lcd and the led kit camera, and it'll need to be compact enough to hide within the dash or under a seat.
- the solution has to be power cycle persistant so im i don't need to set anything anytime i start the car to drive for it to work. hopefully camera mode and the settings will be stored in memory, or at least music mode, because thats also cool.
-it mustn't draw power or if any batteries are involved they have to not impact the cars overall charge. (i think later i'll get a BMS reset scan tool and upgrade my 12v underhood battery)
- it has to look as cool as hell as i picture it is in my head for it to become a permanent addition to my pride and joy crz
stages i plan to go through with this thread and hopefully achieving the desired result:
- Get the kit, test out the setting persistance first.
- test the kit powered off car 12v - loose, no kit or components fitted down at all.
- test if the kits camera can pickup the guage colors (or if any lenses/other modifications are needed,etc) - adapt any additional screens/cameras needed to car power supply.
- finally if all passes, install the leds, hide the controller box, cameras/scopes etc and post video results here
whaddya think? am i nuts, is this lazy creative or silly, if the project fails at least i'll have a neat backlight for my loungeroom telly hey.