Lazy mans - Tapping into gauge color change function for Interior LEDs - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lazy mans - Tapping into gauge color change function for Interior LEDs

Hey guys,

I got the inspiration from this thread, and some others that were on the forum and have wanted to do this sort of thing for a long while now.

The project is to have the interior floorwell LEDs change and transition the same colors as the instrument clusters drive-mode colors - Red, Blue, Green.

I don't want to rip apart my CRZ in the process, and experimentally am going to try to achieve the same effect, so I've purchased an interesting TV backlight LED Kit which'll be driving the main features, it's still on its way from the states but I'm hoping (and excited) that it arrives soon.
This shows how well the kit can work when setup well -
this one shows off the music mode somewhat toward the middle of the video -

It may not be the most accurate bias color changing led kit around, but since it uses a camera, i think its going to suit my purpose perfectly, much easier than fiddling with a rpi/audrino and all that.

So, it seems the kits camera is about the size of a 50c piece (i know, australiaisms amirite) so with any luck i may find a way to mount it where its subtle and non-obstructing, and in-case it isn't feasible to mount it to read the cluster directly (with a mirror or whatever), then i've been looking into ways to workaround that and that should be sorted by sourcing an av borescope or so. luckily theres some cheap enough options for this eg 1,2,3

Theres some prerequisites and stages that i'm planning to do with this DIY so i'll go over those, and there's some factors that could can the project altogether - the major being if the led kits Central box doesnt have a mode remember capability when powered down (power cycle persistent)

the prerequisites are:
- I'll need to do away with the kits wall adapter and get a 12v 0.5a car plug to DC jack cable (shouldn't be too difficult, may need to DIY something for the amp limiting)
- if a bore/endo-scope is needed so the cam facing the cluster is tiny, it'll have to also be a 5 or 12v solution that is always-on, and i'll need to make a small housing to hold (and block all outside light for) the little lcd and the led kit camera, and it'll need to be compact enough to hide within the dash or under a seat.
- the solution has to be power cycle persistant so im i don't need to set anything anytime i start the car to drive for it to work. hopefully camera mode and the settings will be stored in memory, or at least music mode, because thats also cool.
-it mustn't draw power or if any batteries are involved they have to not impact the cars overall charge. (i think later i'll get a BMS reset scan tool and upgrade my 12v underhood battery)
- it has to look as cool as hell as i picture it is in my head for it to become a permanent addition to my pride and joy crz

stages i plan to go through with this thread and hopefully achieving the desired result:

- Get the kit, test out the setting persistance first.
- test the kit powered off car 12v - loose, no kit or components fitted down at all.
- test if the kits camera can pickup the guage colors (or if any lenses/other modifications are needed,etc) - adapt any additional screens/cameras needed to car power supply.
- finally if all passes, install the leds, hide the controller box, cameras/scopes etc and post video results here

whaddya think? am i nuts, is this lazy creative or silly, if the project fails at least i'll have a neat backlight for my loungeroom telly hey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
I'm making popcorn.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:54 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
I think your biggest issue will be getting the camera to only pick up the green/blue/red mode lighting without it getting confused by the rest of the dash. And you seem to have what sounds like a feasible solution(at least in theory) with your lenses and Boroscope idea so you should be good to go!
qwertylesh likes this.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes i can get the lcd 12v borescope and put a mask layer over the screen that way the kit cam only sees the ring ( ill 3d print a holder for the scope so it doesnt move), i can put a semi opaque solid in the tft to cam enclosure to fill the rest of the lens with the same color 😄

I also believe it comes with the mode memory i was worried about it potentially lacking
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
I'm making popcorn.
y u do dis 🤔
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:30 AM
Super Duper Member

So he can watch the fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertylesh View Post
Quote:
I'm making popcorn.
y u do dis 🤔
qwertylesh likes this.

Last edited by Spdbump; 09-21-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added the emoticon LOL
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 01:08 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Yes, I'm expecting an entertaining show.
Spdbump and qwertylesh like this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm expecting an entertaining show.
Same here.

No pressure @qwertylesh, no pressure at all
Spdbump, Fediej and qwertylesh like this.

Your nurse in training
are you in Ontario or Québec?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
small update - the LED kit hasnt arrived yet, USPS to australia takes months

but in the meantime i decided to get the endoscope since it was local and only 30 bucks and it suits the purpose amazingly

the screen shows enough of the ring that im confident the led camera will display the color to the led no problem - ill just encapsulate the led cam in a small box with the screen and mask out the ring, and make the inside of the box reflective so only the ring color comes through, if i can make this small enough i can hide it away under a seat or wherever - but for now its just serving as a second speedo in the center console

Pics:
the camera is so tiny it doesnt obstruct or move at all, its perfect.

Defiant likes this.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well.... this project is sadly, officially dead.

The ebay listing i purchased the LED kit from was dodgey, they didnt have the stock to send out and just kept my money and sent me a fake traking number.

I got a refund but the LED kit with camera build into it is out of stock everywhere, so I cant source one to complete this

RIP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode