DIY Windshield Replacement Motivation - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

DIY Windshield Replacement Motivation

Hope everyone has been well.

Just thought I'd leave some DIY windshield replacement motivation for anyone who's had to deal with sub-par installs, low quality replacement glass and or just thought about doing it themselves. You absolutely can. Not a full DIY article as the Factory Service Manual or "Helm" is very thorough in the specifics on this but some notes and pictures for the inducement.

Original windshield lasted 7 years and ~140,000 miles until a nice-sized rock-strike and chip grew into a crack across the windshield in under a day. Went back and forth, decided to try a cheap Chinese windshield as they've come a long way but they're not quite there yet in terms of quality (funnily enough one of the companies that makes a CR-Z replacement, Fuyao, is actually an OEM supplier for: GM, Ford, Subaru, VW Group and Bently to name a few. Still it had the fun-house-mirror-effect going on, everything above the horizontal centerline was stretched vertically, everything below was smushed vertically, just sucked what little driving enjoyment is left these days.

Considering some of the 'techs' out there doing windshields I think anyone motivated, mildly mechanically inclined with just a few tools and service manual can pull this off.

Grew right across the field of view in just a few hours:

New genuine Honda glass (Nippon Safety Lamipane), new trim pieces and some tools:

Installing the windshield dams. These help ensure proper gap/set-height of the glass from the pinchweld the entire way around the windshield which helps reduce the possibility that the glass will crack from the body flexing or twisting. The manual doesn't specify but some of the dams illustrated in the Helm are cut-to-length which is why multiples are required of the two dam part numbers; there are markings all over the edge of the glass to show where they start and stop and the Helm specifies distance from the edge of 12mm. As a side benefit they also help prevent intrusion of the adhesive into the cabin:

Cutting the glass out the old-fashioned way with wire, also the method the factory service manual specifies (and cheapest in terms of tools). Starting the wire:

Big open hole. This is prior to trimming down the old adhesive and removing the excess, as you can see the shop that put the chinese windshield in went a bit heavy on the adhesive in the corners but it all cleaned up nicely in the end.

Practicing the setting of the windshield by dry setting (no adhesive) with alignment marks. Depending on which adhesive you use you should have a few minutes between laying the adhesive bead and setting the glass to shift the windshield very small amounts for final adjustment before the adhesive cures enough.

Phew, a good set and some painters tape to hold it in place for a bit:

OEM fitment:

After curing, leak test and wash (a few days later):

Genuine Honda:

Fuyao:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Nicely done and very helpful info/pics. Good to see you back on here. Defiant especially has been missing you, he actually just mentioned you a couple of days ago.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:33 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Great job, Koala. You win the biggest balls award. The couple of old-time windshields I'd done, back when it was rubber gaskets and clothesline still give me shivers. '

How much was the glass? Dealer supplied?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Hell, I thought speedbump got you banned or something. Nice to see you're back and doing some good DIY's!

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Elite Member

If you're going to come back from a hiatus, it might as well be with the balls-out most ambitious DIY!

I'm a little confused about the Fuyao glass. Did you lose your factory OEM, and then subsequently lose a Fuyao? Or did you lose your factory OEM glass, then remove an intact Fuyao for the sake of having OEM glass? Or was the Fuyao just never installed?

I'm also interested in the cost. If it was due to breakage, did you get assistance from your insurance?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Super Duper Member

Awesome post!!

I have the squealing at high speeds issue in my car, and it seems to come from the top of the windshield behind the mirror area. I'm wondering, when you were removing your oem glass did you notice any lack of seal back there?

Basically I'm just wondering if I have an air leak, or if that's even possible?

Any chance you could post a large picture of what it looks like with the window fully removed??

Btw: what did the oem glass cost you? Where you source it?

Good stuff!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
Nicely done and very helpful info/pics. Good to see you back on here. Defiant especially has been missing you, he actually just mentioned you a couple of days ago.
Lol thanks. Missed you all too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
Great job, Koala. You win the biggest balls award. The couple of old-time windshields I'd done, back when it was rubber gaskets and clothesline still give me shivers. '

How much was the glass? Dealer supplied?
Thanks Defiant. Its one of those car things that always seems a bit daunting due to it not being bolt-in and simple remove/replace like most other components but once you get going its not so bad.

The glass is listed right about $1000, online you'll see prices for about $670 but I called many of the ones I frequently use and none of them would ship it due to the packaging; sometimes Honda windshields come in their own wooden pallet-like crate but other times they just have a foam celled lining around the edge with thick vacuum sealed plastic covering the whole windshield, the CR-Z's is the latter and since those online parts departments generally use a third party carrier to ship to customers (as opposed to the method of transport from regional Honda parts centers to the dealerships) they couldn't ensure undamaged delivery.

I got it for 800 from my local parts department but the dealership was nice enough to have their parts driver deliver it to my residence as I didn't think it would fit inside the CR-Zs hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
Hell, I thought speedbump got you banned or something. Nice to see you're back and doing some good DIY's!
Thanks Litz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
If you're going to come back from a hiatus, it might as well be with the balls-out most ambitious DIY!

I'm a little confused about the Fuyao glass. Did you lose your factory OEM, and then subsequently lose a Fuyao? Or did you lose your factory OEM glass, then remove an intact Fuyao for the sake of having OEM glass? Or was the Fuyao just never installed?

I'm also interested in the cost. If it was due to breakage, did you get assistance from your insurance?
Thanks. The original factory Honda glass suffered the damage. Had it replaced with the Fuyao and just disliked it, a lot. Enough to motivate me to spend the money on OEM glass and also install it myself (their install was actually acceptable; it was the glass that made for a nauseating and unpleasant driving experience). Now maybe it was a poorly made windshield and not all the Fuyaos are like that but it just wasn't up to par. Considering how cheap it was though its not the end of the world and you live and learn. Got no assistance from insurance due to the first replacement job being well under deductible cost and the fact that I did the OEM glass myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
Awesome post!!

I have the squealing at high speeds issue in my car, and it seems to come from the top of the windshield behind the mirror area. I'm wondering, when you were removing your oem glass did you notice any lack of seal back there?

Basically I'm just wondering if I have an air leak, or if that's even possible?

Any chance you could post a large picture of what it looks like with the window fully removed??

Btw: what did the oem glass cost you? Where you source it?

Good stuff!!
Have you seen the whistling windshield noise thread? I had the same problem (as many others) and replacing the top windshield trim/molding completely solved the issue. On the CR-Z (unlike many other vehicles) you can replace the upper windshield trim without removing the windshield and its a pretty easy install. Isolated the problem during a cross country drive by taping over the trim which eliminated the sound completely. Sorry the pictures are down in that thread.

Its possible there's a leak but that would be easy to test for, just pour a bucket of water along the top windshield. If there is a leak it can sometimes be backfilled with windshield urethane adhesive while the windshield is still in place, not always but sometimes. The factory service manual specifies to check for leaks after installing new glass and do just that if any leaks are seen.
Defiant likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:32 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
I got it for 800 from my local parts department but the dealership was nice enough to have their parts driver deliver it to my residence as I didn't think it would fit inside the CR-Zs hatch.

Thanks. The original factory Honda glass suffered the damage. Had it replaced with the Fuyao and just disliked it, a lot. Enough to motivate me to spend the money on OEM glass and also install it myself (their install was actually acceptable; it was the glass that made for a nauseating and unpleasant driving experience). Now maybe it was a poorly made windshield and not all the Fuyaos are like that but it just wasn't up to par. Considering how cheap it was though its not the end of the world and you live and learn. Got no assistance from insurance due to the first replacement job being well under deductible cost and the fact that I did the OEM glass myself.
That's about the running price I've seen too... nice of them to deliver to your house.

I've gotten a bad windshield before from the cut-rate shops. definitely can relate to the motivation to replace the glass, but I made the shop take the price on the chin for installing a defective glass.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
Have you seen the whistling windshield noise thread? I had the same problem (as many others) and replacing the top windshield trim/molding completely solved the issue. On the CR-Z (unlike many other vehicles) you can replace the upper windshield trim without removing the windshield and its a pretty easy install. Isolated the problem during a cross country drive by taping over the trim which eliminated the sound completely. Sorry the pictures are down in that thread.

Its possible there's a leak but that would be easy to test for, just pour a bucket of water along the top windshield. If there is a leak it can sometimes be backfilled with windshield urethane adhesive while the windshield is still in place, not always but sometimes. The factory service manual specifies to check for leaks after installing new glass and do just that if any leaks are seen.

Do you have the pics to that thread still? If you want, I can host them for you. I saw that thread, but never saw any of the fix. Thanks!!

What's weird with my whistling is, I can press the headliner behind the mirror and it changes the sound, or stops it completely. Was yours like this?

If you want, I can rehost the pics for you so that thread will be useful to others in future. Forever.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Is this large enough? Again can't stress that this is before leveling off the old adhesive and cleaning/trimming it all up so it looks nastier here than it was right before setting the new glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
That's about the running price I've seen too... nice of them to deliver to your house.

I've gotten a bad windshield before from the cut-rate shops. definitely can relate to the motivation to replace the glass, but I made the shop take the price on the chin for installing a defective glass.
Yeah I thought about having them try another windshield but I've seen so many third-party/non-OEM (and even OEM) windshields that had some sort of optical defect and I was debating whether to just do the install myself even before I went that route so it just pushed me over the edge. I've also read about many people having the same issues and having shops do 3, 4, 5 different windshields until they get one that's acceptable.

Quote:
Do you have the pics to that thread still? If you want, I can host them for you. I saw that thread, but never saw any of the fix. Thanks!!

What's weird with my whistling is, I can press the headliner behind the mirror and it changes the sound, or stops it completely. Was yours like this?

If you want, I can rehost the pics for you so that thread will be useful to others in future. Forever.
I believe I do have the pics saved on a backup drive, yes. So I'll try and get them back up. Thanks for the offer on the image hosting but I made a car-specific flickr account now so won't have any more issues with old images, I'll get as much as I can back up.

And yes, the whistling noise was the same; pressing on the headliner near the rear view mirror would eliminate the sound. That was with the factory installed original glass and no work ever done in that area. Replacing that trim piece completely eliminated the noise and I haven't heard it since doing that. You can try the tape method and see if its the same, run a piece of tape over the trim the length of the windshield so that it seals the trim between the glass and paint and see if you still hear the noise. Doing this completely eliminated the sound as well. I did this on a 36-hour cross-country drive when it was whistling for hours, pulled over to a Walmart, taped it up and was blissful silence the rest of the trip.
d1giPhux and Eddie70 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in