DIY: 6spd transmission oil change - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

DIY: 6spd transmission oil change

...okay, so I am a lazy person, and haven't ever really done a DIY before. I'm going to apologize right away, as this is going to be more pointers than a full on DIY. My biggest concern trying this out the first time was finding the correct plugs to remove, so I figure that would be my key contribution here.

(cue in: "I take no responsibility for any damages you, your car, or anyone near you incurs from using this information. Do so at your own risk and skill level)

Onwards!

You will need:
Jack
Jack stands
3/8" socket wrench
3/8" extension
17 mm socket (... I think)
Honda MTF Fluid (2 quarts)
oil pan
Drain plug and fill plug washers
fluid pump

MAJOR STEP 1
loosen your driver's side tire. Put a chock on a rear wheel, jack up the car, put it on stands. Remove the tire.

You should now see a removable plastic panel. Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the 2 visible plastic inserts, then the 5(?) that are on the underside. This makes the transmission visible, as so:

MAJOR STEP 2
Do you see the bolt/plug that is square? Where the socket wrench extension goes? The lowest part of the transmission? That is the drain plug. DO NOT remove just yet.

The bolt with the 17 mm head is the fill plug - to the right and above the cv axle. Try removing this one first.
Reason: In case you cannot remove the fill plug (stripped, rusted, etc.), you will find this out before you drain all your fluid out, and can still drive the car to a professional to remove it/do the service for you.

Once the fill plug is loosened/removed, THEN you can move on to the drain plug. Put the oil catch pan underneath, and remove the drain plug. Once the oil is drained fully, use your new crush washer, and tighten your drain plug (I believe 33 ft/lbs, but do your research).

MAJOR STEP 3:
Open one of your MTF bottles, and feed your fluid pump through the fill hole, as shown:

Make sure that your pump is in the correct direction, pumping from the bottle TO the transmission. If not sure, cover one hose end with your hand to see if you get push pressure, or suction.

The manual states 1.4 quarts for a flush, 1.6 for a rebuild. Just pump a whole bottle, then when you get to about halfway of the second bottle, slow down. Keep pumping slowly until some oil starts coming out of the fill hole. Look carefully - Honda MTF is not very viscous. Remove the hose.

MAJOR STEP 4
Use a new washer, tighten the fill plug (again, I think 33 ft lbs, but look for it yourself. I'm going off s2000 torque specs). Reverse steps for assembly and bringing car down from raised status.

MAJOR STEP 5
Always look over your work. Check for any loose tools, extra bolts, washers, etc. There shouldn't be any. Lastly, turn your car on. Put it in gear. Drive it a bit. Make sure there is no leaking of fluids underneath. If there is, turn off, jack up, reinspect.

Hopefully this was a happy inbetween of being useful for the first timer, and providing quick information for those who just need the relevant. Happy wrenching.

Edit: According to litz:
Fluid Capacity:
1.5 US qt. at fluid change
1.7 US qt. at overhaul

Filler plug torque 32 lb-ft
Drain plug torque 29 lb-ft

Thanks, man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:56 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by postwarart View Post
MAJOR STEP 2
Do you see the bolt/plug that is square? Where the socket wrench extension goes? The lowest part of the transmission? That is the drain plug. DO NOT remove just yet.
The bolt with the 17 mm head is the fill plug - to the right and above the cv axle. Try removing this one first.
Reason: In case you cannot remove the fill plug (stripped, rusted, etc.), you will find this out before you drain all your fluid out, and can still drive the car to a professional to remove it/do the service for you.
One of the most intelligent posts I've seen on any automotive forum. Such a simple detail, and so often not considered.
Civvy likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! Post updated with info from litz.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by postwarart View Post
Thanks, guys! Post updated with info from litz.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:39 PM

Very nicely done... all im missing are pictures where you drew circles around the plugs

2011 CR-Z EX 6MT CBP
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:15 PM
Super Duper Member

Nice write up. For those that don't have a pump or want to purchase one you can also use a standard funnel and spare hose to reach down to the fill hole from the top of the engine bay.
Defiant likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:33 PM

Garage
Great write up, i just did mine today and i was able to take another photo of the bolt locations.
Blue=Drain
Red=Fill

Scott Plantier likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 04:23 PM

Thanks for an excellent write up, I did this service today!
jesses crew likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:34 PM

cu do's to you for a well done job and the follow up pics. And for using Honda MTO, I did mine at 100k, and noticed my trans shifting nice and smooth again. I cheated in raising the car up though..I have a lift these days.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Well damn--I removed my fill and drain plugs, but realized I didn't have a new fill plug crush washer on hand--UGH! So, I'll have to pick one up tomorrow--here are the part numbers, just for the record:

94109-20000 Washer, Drain Plug (20mm) [fluid fill]

94109-14000 Washer, Drain Plug (14mm) [same size as engine fluid drain plug crush washer]

(I use the Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve for the engine's oil drain, so I haven't had to mess with replacing that washer, so I completely forgot the need for the 20mm washer when changing the transmission fluid.)
Scott Plantier likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode