DIY: 6spd transmission oil change - Page 3 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:28 PM

It says in the manual 10W30 is acceptable to use. I used to put that in my Del Sol when I had it. I was thinking of buying a jug of Mobil synthetic 10W30 and changing the oil several times over the course of a engine oil changes so that it gets flushed good. I just bought the car and it has 120k on and who knows how the previous owner maintained it.

Are any of you guys using 10W30 in your trans?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie70 View Post
It says in the manual 10W30 is acceptable to use. I used to put that in my Del Sol when I had it. I was thinking of buying a jug of Mobil synthetic 10W30 and changing the oil several times over the course of a engine oil changes so that it gets flushed good. I just bought the car and it has 120k on and who knows how the previous owner maintained it.

Are any of you guys using 10W30 in your trans?
I'm only using Honda MTF, but I think you've got your specs wrong about the 10W30 for the CR-Z. Service Manual says only use Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) and the Owner's Manual states that you can use 0w20 or 5w20 as a temporary measure, but refill with Honda MTF at the earliest possible opportunity. You'll notice it shifting better with MTF, but if you want to give it a swig of 5w20 for a short while, and then back to MTF, it wouldn't hurt for limited use, although I'd just put in MTF now, and change again at 150,000; then every 50,000 miles after that (and that might be considered overdoing it.)
Eddie70 likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
I'm only using Honda MTF, but I think you've got your specs wrong about the 10W30 for the CR-Z. Service Manual says only use Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) and the Owner's Manual states that you can use 0w20 or 5w20 as a temporary measure, but refill with Honda MTF at the earliest possible opportunity. You'll notice it shifting better with MTF, but if you want to give it a swig of 5w20 for a short while, and then back to MTF, it wouldn't hurt for limited use, although I'd just put in MTF now, and change again at 150,000; then every 50,000 miles after that (and that might be considered overdoing it.)
I am a maintenance guy for a living and I am sure I over do maintenance. I change the engine oil and filter in my truck every 5k miles with synthetic. It's changed at even intervals of 5k miles so it is easy to keep up wtih. I dropped the trans pan and changed the filter and fluid on it at 65k. I now pull a gallon of trans fluid out with a hand pump every 15k and replace it with new. I don't really plan on changing anything up for the CRZ. 5k oil changes, and probably 15k trans fluid chanages. We're only talking a little over $10-$15 per trans oil change with Honda fluid. I was thinking of running the Mobil to flush anything that may be in there for a few engine oil change cycles.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Garage
You sound like my kind of maintenance guy. I didn't mention it before, but back before most of the forum members were even a twinkle in their father's eyes, I'd use a kerosene/oil mix to flush out old engine/transmission oil if I thought it hadn't been changed in a long, long time, then refill with the correct oil/fluid. I'm sure there are mechanics out there that highly recommend NOT doing so, but letting some Mobil 1 do the cleaning/flushing out is probably a better idea since we've come a long way with the detergent properties of oil. If I bought a car with 120,000 miles on it, and was planing on keeping it for 120 or 200k more, I'd do exactly what you're doing.
Eddie70 likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Unless you're driving it like a drag race car all the time 5000 mile oil changes and 15000 mile tranny fluid flushes are overkill. The maintenance minder does a pretty good job of letting you know when it needs stuff like that. But I get that old habits die hard.
Spdbump and Eddie70 like this.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
...But I get that old habits die hard.
Yeah, they die hard for me too... Used to be 3,000 mile oil change intervals, then I reluctantly went to 5,000 mile intervals some years ago. Getting the CR-Z, I was getting down right paranoid when I had 6,000 miles on the car and the maintenance minder said the oil was only at 50% use. Think I changed it at around 20%.
Spdbump likes this.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:34 PM

Plans this weekend are to change the trans fluid and engine oil. Then I will be on my schedule from now on. I got a couple of quarts of Honda fluid from Amazon. I still want to run a few quarts of 10w30 for a while just to flush it out. Hmmm. I'll let you know what I decide to do and how it goes.
litz likes this.

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie70 View Post
Plans this weekend are to change the trans fluid and engine oil. Then I will be on my schedule from now on. I got a couple of quarts of Honda fluid from Amazon. I still want to run a few quarts of 10w30 for a while just to flush it out. Hmmm. I'll let you know what I decide to do and how it goes.
So here's the thing about the oil and transmission fluid. It is an emergency measure only. Honda specifically states that you need to replace it with MTF as soon as possible.

MTF is much more viscous than motor oil, and has additives for withstanding the higher RPMS that a transmission sees. Motor oil in the transmission can potentially whip into a froth, which is even less viscous than just the straight oil. MTF is intended to cling to the gears as they mesh with each other, but oil is meant to simply lubricate bearing surfaces. The fluids are engineered to serve two distinct purposes.

You're much better off putting in seafoam transmission fluid (Hydra Trans Tune) or Lucas Trans Fix if you really feel the need to use some sort of detergent in your MT.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:50 PM

I changed the trans fluid with the Honda recommended fluid. That was an interesting Several hours of work. Now that it is done, it should be easier the next time. I ran out and got new fasteners for the plastic liners under the car. Several were missing and were not holding the panels very well. Everything is on the good side now. Should be good to go for a while now on the trans fluid. After I got everything apart and saw how much work it was to get in there, I decided that it was not that big of a deal to run the Honda stuff for a while and change it again later if I feel froggy.
litz likes this.

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdanville Send a message via MSN to sdanville Send a message via Yahoo to sdanville
my experience gear oil change CRZ

Changed My Crz Gear oil with Honda Gear oil yesterday. 97,000 miles . 2011. may never have been changed. was notchy, now shifts like a Honda..butter smooth.. I find it interesting my last honda stick, a 1995 Accord the Owners Manual read any 10w 30 motor oil was fine. And my 3 Honda Motorcycles use the same oil for the pistons as it does the gears. Goldwing gears do not care.
Alas, I paid my $10 a quart for peace of mind.
My Drain plug and Filler cap were so tight I thought I would break my Craftsman 3/8" ratchet using a pipe extension. Thankfully they broke lose first. It took me 10 minutes to drain and fill on my 1985 Accord..this CRZ change took over an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drain plug crz.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	50659  
litz and Eddie70 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode