Ceramic coating? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Ceramic coating?

Anybody had it done? Happy with it? I got a quote on having my CR-Z done and I'm seriously considering it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 PM
stop taking me seriously

You'll have to be more specific. Are we talking about the protective paint stuff or are we talking about stuff for engine temperatures.
Spdbump likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatguy87 View Post
Art, I think your a really hot guy.... Like super cute.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

The protective paint coating is what I had in mind.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 02:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpaidbill View Post
The protective paint coating is what I had in mind.
Look into something like Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating. It's about 130 bucks, and I guarantee that's cheaper than your estimate. This stuff isn't rocket science, you apply it one panel at a time, but divide your doors, hood, and roof into two or three different sections. It's almost as easy as applying a sealant. If you've done the proper prep work on your paint, the coating can last a couple years with good, correct washing and drying habits. There will be enough in the vial to do at least two "normal" sized cars, so probably three CR-Z's then lol. Less is always more when it comes to coatings like these. Some people don't believe in them, but not everything out there is pure snake oil. Do your research on Wolfgang's coating. More often than not, you won't find people who are dissatisfied. I'm just speaking for a brand I like and have used on other people's cars.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
+1.

Call me a non-believer.

Nothing will be better than a thorough bi-monthly detail job, and virtually any of the name-brand finishes.

It's kind of like leather seats as used in cars- you aren't treating the leather, you're treating the coating put on the leather (for those few and tiny bits of the upholstery which actually are leather, on the order of 15%).

Same goes for modern paints. You aren't treating the paint, you're treating the clear coat on top of the paint. Keep it clean, and use Meguiar's, Mother's, or whatever other company is on the shelf at WalMart and whose label you like.

Just my opinion, and a between-the-lines effyou to companies that want a hundred bucks for a bottle of goo. It's like the old ladies on HSN who think the magical serum they're having auto-shipped every month is going to do anything about their genetics and our inevitable ride to entropy.
Spdbump and Alfettaman like this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Super Duper Member

Thirded. This is snake oil. Why not replace your muffler bearings and blinker fluid while you're at it, I'll give you a great deal.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:49 PM
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Oooh, harsh.

Ceramic coatings (my opinion only, but from seeing them and knowing people who have used them) are in essence the ultimate paint sealer. IF, that is, you get a good product (more about that later).

It all depends on what you want to get out of them, though.

If you are looking for protection from stone chips, etc, you need Paint Protection Film. Nothing less will help that.
If you want to get a low-maintenance finish on your car (essentially hose off and drive-dry) for most regular dust and dirt, but not real road grime, then consider a nano-coating.
If you are concerned about how easy your car's finish is damaged (swirls, marrs, holographing, spiderwebbing, etc) from even very carefully handling, then ceramic may be for you. Especially if you are OCD about this. And especially if you have red or black paint which seem to show these marks more readily.
IF your car has soft paint (Honda paints seem to be a bit this way, but there are lots of high-end cars with worse), this will provide a harder top "clear coat" that will survive abuse.

NOTE that you need to have PERFECT PAINTWORK to apply ceramic overtop of. Any blemishes will, essentially, be preserved in amber. The biggest cost for professional application is in paint correction ahead of time. The older the car, and the more abuse it has seen, the more work needs to be done to get the car coating-ready.

Problem is, like everything else in life you get what you pay for. MOST of the stuff advertised as ceramic nano-coating is liquid shyte IMO. And that's where this gets its bad rep.

The few exceptions that I am aware of are Opti-Coat, Modesta, and CQuartz Finest. Those are the real deal, will last you 3-5 years with minimal maintenance, BUT will cost you thousands of dollars to have applied. You cannot buy these for DIY application.

The next best thing is to go onto Amazon and get CQuartz UK directly from CarPro, and while you are at it, a bottle of Reload (required for CQ-UK).
I've done the CQUK thing on wheels (face and barrel). It's not that hard to apply and results are very good if you follow directions to the letter (watch a few videos as well). But get that paint perfect first, or you'll regret it.

And finally, with a car as small as the CR-Z, it really isn't a big deal to wash and wax it regularly, maybe apply a sealer a few times a year also. Does not take very long, is hugely rewarding, and incredibly cheap.
litz likes this.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear Ö but no one can tell who is charging whom!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:06 PM
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
But how is it Ceramic?

Definition of ceramic from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ceramic

1. : of or relating to the manufacture of any product (such as earthenware, porcelain, or brick) made essentially from a nonmetallic mineral (such as clay) by firing at a high temperature; also : of or relating to such a product

That's actually a good question, and one I have no answer to.

To me, they have always been referred to as "ceramic" coatings, "nannocoatings", "glass coatings", or "polymer coatings", pretty much interchangeably. But no, they are not made of clay, nor are they fired. But the good ones are pretty amazing at what they do. Almost as good as they are expensive. Almost.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear Ö but no one can tell who is charging whom!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
But how is it Ceramic?

Definition of ceramic from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ceramic

1. : of or relating to the manufacture of any product (such as earthenware, porcelain, or brick) made essentially from a nonmetallic mineral (such as clay) by firing at a high temperature; also : of or relating to such a product

People who want to seem as if they're not being taken for a "ride" get hung up way too much on the fact that it's called a ceramic coating. Is it actually adding a hardened layer that's being stored as a liquid in a little bottle? Of course it's not. It's a marketing term that people use and run with as to why everything that isn't Turtle Wax or Meguiar's is bull**** or over priced. There are some legitimate coatings out there; as mentioned above, but they're obviously not adding a porcelain, hardened layer lol. Having seen what properly corrected, prepped paint looks like under these coatings, it does indeed "look" like a hardened layer, but that key word is look. They're essentially glorified waxes or sealants, but with much longer longevity and tolerances, and there are some that I think are personally worth it.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Is it really a hardened layer? Or does it just do such a good job cleaning your clear coat that it seems you have added something on top of the clear coat? Again believe what you want but don't be a sheep. My question always is how much of the material is actually left on the car. Has anyone ever used a thickness meter before and after or do we just believe the manufacturers?

Some of these materials are just mislabeled polishes that remove material( your clear coat).
I never said it was a hardened layer lol. I plain as day stated that it's more or less an over glorified wax/sealant, but offers greater protection that lasts longer, and that's not even a question. I have dedicated years to learning this. My old job was detailing cars and fixing hack jobs from dealers and doing customer cars of our own dealership. I've researched, read every review, seen demonstrations, and sampled so many products it's insane. It's why I've come to use the products in my arsenal that I do now. I've brought back paint that had been previously written off as basket cases, and it's why I was paid to do so. I have since taken on a better job the past few years, but I still detail on the side for clients I've had for years and some new ones that have come from word of mouth. I'm not using some AIO wax, sealant, or coating that has abrasives and polishes. I'm applying a layer of protection to clear coat that I've buffed and polished beforehand to whatever level of perfection the customer wants or can afford. Quit getting hung up that it's called "ceramic" and use some common sense. It's only used as a term to describe how properly prepped vehicles look as if they've had molten glass poured over them. Look up Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating (ignore that pesky word ceramic if it helps) and you'll find nothing but personal reviews of one of the best products brought to the detailing community. Sheep can come from the other side of the field too.
litz likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode