IMA battery fan - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By litz
  • 1 Post By OldGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Question IMA battery fan

Hello
I have a 2011 CRZ and it has been a fantastic car. Recently the IMA and engine lights came on...then cleared however the engine
light stayed on. Upon various google searches, I thought I needed a new battery and that would cost thousands. I began to rethink my CRZ purchase. (I have a history of purchasing new and keeping the car for 12 to 14 years, then sell it.) The IMA light has reappeared a few times and the only correlation I can see is the days are exceptionally hot. (I am not a mechanic--however it was an interesting observation).

I took the car into a local Honda Dealer who gave me the good news that the battery is fine...but there is a fan which is not working at the mid level setting. Low and High work fine...Mid doesn't. However, the dealership recommended another $200 in diagnostic testing before going ahead with the fan because I won't be able to return it if the problem turns out to be something different.

The fan is going to cost almost $700. and there is a 5 month wait for this item. IF that item misses the boat (literally) then there is a 13 month wait. Fortunately, the car will run without the IMA system and since fall is upon us, cooler weather may help. i am happy I don't need a new IMA battery although that is still covered under warranty.

Does this make sense that there is such a long wait for this fan? Should I call around to other dealerships? Or should I arrange for a friend to pick one up when she goes to Japan next month and bring it back?
I ask these questions to have a better understanding as I tend to trust the professionals...however this delay doesn't make sense. Which then makes me question, why the extra few hundred dollars for added diagnostic when we are pretty certain it is the fan.

I appreciate any clarification you can give., Thank you Sher.

Last edited by Sher; 09-07-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: type error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Garage
The fan part number you're talking about is 1J810-RTW-003 -- see if you can find one that's in stock somewhere else....
Even a search on amazon.com states that it'll ship in 1-3 months...I think it was a $165 part, so ask the dealership if they'll refund the $200 charge for the extra diagnosis if they find that the problem WAS only the fan after all.

Here's another link of the same problem
https://www.crzforum.com/forum/engin...ode-p1448.html

If you wanted to switch off your IMA battery during the wait for the replacement fan, I'd suggest hooking up your 12v battery to a trickle charger to keep it fully charged since you will be draining it without the DC-DC recharge the IMA unit gives while it's on and operating correctly. The fan itself, is not too complicated to replace, so you might want to DIY or ask the dealership to give you a break on the cost.
Spdbump likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:24 AM

I have a 2011 and my fan just failed in July. Fortunately I live in California and the warranty on the hybrid system here is 15 yrs or 150K so it was all repaired under warranty. It only took the dealership in Chico CA. two days to get the part. I would check to see what the warranty is for the state you live in as it varies. Something sounds off with what they are telling you. I always say never believe the first person who gives you bad news. Best of luck with this.
CrzyCRZ likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I have a 2011 and my fan just failed in July. Fortunately I live in California and the warranty on the hybrid system here is 15 yrs or 150K so it was all repaired under warranty. It only took the dealership in Chico CA. two days to get the part. I would check to see what the warranty is for the state you live in as it varies. Something sounds off with what they are telling you. I always say never believe the first person who gives you bad news. Best of luck with this.

Interesting, thanks for the info so I know itís covered when mine fails. I live in CA too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode