2 CRZ drag racing analytics help. - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2 CRZ drag racing analytics help.

On Saturday May 04 2019 I met up with some southern california CRZ owners to attend the annual Eibach Honda meet. Awesome group of people by the way.

This event also had 1/4 drag racing for those interested in putting their cars on the track.

I am an experienced drag racer and I knew putting my car on the track that I would be piloting the slowest vehicle I have ever drag raced. I just didn't think my CRZ would be this slow. HAHA I think putting it up against a golf cart would be more appropriate. In fact I lost a bet with my passenger and had to buy his lunch.

One of the members was also interested in knowing how his car would perform so thankfully he decided to join me so I wouldn't be lined up against a 9 sec track beast. Well I guess it wouldn't have made a difference I am pretty sure I posted the slowest time at the track for the day. Sorry CRZ owners.

So I am going to share with you the parameters in the best detail I can, and lets see if we can make this make sense.

My car 2011 CRZ EX CVT with 160K miles, the night before the race I changed the oil and spark plugs.
Engine mods is only a short ram intake and a custom carbon fiber exhaust that is axle back and straight through. Im guessing this combination gives me maybe 3hp and possibly less torque?
My battery at the time of the race was at 70%
Track temperatures were 84 degrees and with the asphalt probably 88 degrees maybe 90
I used sport mode and allowed the car to handle the rest, my job was to time the launch and get out of the hole with the best 60ft time that could be achieved with my oversized wheels and tires.
I also had full interior a passenger that weighs about 145 ponds and stereo equipment 10" sub and amp. Basically no weight reduction
Tire size is 215 40 18 Federal 595SS and my rims are heavy 18x8.5

My competition was a 2014 CRZ CVT probably under 100K miles his first time at the drag strip
Takeda Intake, GEB intake maniflod, HKS hi power axle back
Tein Street Basis
17x7.5 with 215 45 17 tires michelin
No passenger and passenger seat was removed for weight reduction

most factory specs list the CRZ with around a 17 second pass so I figured I would be in the high 17's

First pass as you can see my experience prevails at the start, if you break down the numbers you can see that I basically got a 1 second jump and in the quarter mile one second is a hell of a lot of time to make up. You would think I could hold this lead but by the end of the quarter mile it was like he came up with the Thanos Gauntlet and Snapped me to dust as he passed me lol. My time [email protected] 76.39 MPH
His time 17.12 @ 80.58 MPH

Second pass I decided ok lets lose my passenger to make me 145 pounds lighter and I will try sport mode but manual shifting (paddle shifting) this run was even worse lol mainly because at the launch when I shifted from 1 to 2, it shifted too 3, probably the car was trying to shift for me because I was approaching deep redline but if its manual don't you think the car would bounce off of the rev limiter? My guess is my car wanted to upshift to 2 at the same time I pressed upshift and it went to 3 at that point it was over that pass was blown and my time lol hahahahaha
19.80 @ 70.29 MPH lol yeah well it is what it is.
His time 17.37 @ 82.21 MPH

So what I am trying to figure out is, with the way my car was set up in the first pass I had a passenger, car has high miles, big heavy tires and wheels, sound system etc.. is an 18.56 second pass accurate? My concern is I could possibly have a loss of power somewhere and I won't know for sure unless I dyno my car and see what the power band looks like. I will dyno because while I was at the event I purchased a HONDATA Flash Pro for my turbo kit that I will be installing soon.

I really wanted to run my car at the track to see my baseline pass and was hoping to be in the 17's and after the turbo install be in the low 15's but ill save all those results for later.

Anyway it was a fun day I had a great time, the honda crz family was a great group of people to be with, until next time...

Let me know your thoughts, analytics guys what do you think? Does this seam right, or do you think my car is losing power somewhere, or I suck at driving, I highly doubt that but only way to know for sure is if we switched drivers.

TWCompetition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1st Run Outside View you can see the 1 second launch advantage and how much space the 2014 crz had to cover to catch up and pass me.

1st run inside view notice I say "son of a bitch" as I get passed LOL not directed to my competition, I was just surprised lol
This was taken with my friends phone and sent to me through text so its bad quality and I was not able to change the viewing angle.
You can hear me saying "am I spinning, no way can this car be spinning" and my friend saying "is it shifting why isn't it shifting" lol

anyway had a really fun time at the event congrats to the 2014 CRZ for the win

TWCompetition
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
1. You had fun and hung out with a great bunch of people.
2. Even if the driver skills had been equal, the 2014 would have won. Stock the 2013-16 put out more power than 2011-12.
3. You are correct on your shift theory. In paddle shift mode, even while in sport, when you hit redline the car will "shift" to the next gear. Much like a conventional automatic. That is unless the computer forgets what it's supposed to do altogether and you bounce off the rev limiter. The lag between when you hit the paddle and when the transmission "shifts" was just long enough to account for going into 3rd, because the computer was already going to 2nd.
4. You have a high mileage car. And like any high mileage car it likely has lost some of it's original mojo. Both in power output and quite possibly transmission wear. That spinning you thought you felt may very well have been extra slippage from a worn cvt. When was your last fluid change?
5. Still looks better than most other cars out there.
FormulaCRZ likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Fediej

cool makes more sense now thanks for the input, about my transmission, its a replacement to a 2015 transmission its been over a year since I did the swap, seams to be ok, last time I changed the fluid was at the time of the swap so I would say about 15k miles on the current transmission fluid. Also the replacement transmission was listed as having 65k miles so should have around 80K miles on the current transmission.

2015 Replacement transmission with 80K miles
Current transmission fluid was changed 15K miles ago

TWCompetition
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

Garage
My first thought was that would be great if the Ohio Eibach Honda meet (coming up in the Fall) would have 1/4 mile drag race event as an option.

But back to your 1/4 take-off experience.... Have you tried a couple other options for getting off the mark and shifting(?) methods?

1.) Instead of using the paddles in SPORTS mode through the 1/4 mile, just put it in SPORT, and start with shifter in manual 1st gear, and let it shift on its own after that (letting it go to the rev limit with foot too the floor while it finds the next gear.)

2.) Try SPORT mode, locking the CVT into LOW gear, and step on it like you want to push your foot through the firewall.

With either of the above techniques, try each again, but this time with your foot to WOT with the quickest movement of the foot doing a double-pump action as you go to the initial WOT. (You can also say, "hee-hawwwwww" and/or "giddy-up-girl," if it makes you feel better.)

3.) Supercharger.
CuteZ and FormulaCRZ like this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:55 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
1. Change your fluid, ask for a rematch, and employ the top 2 techniques from @litz . You still probably won't win, but it'll be a much better fight.
2. Add the blower and beat the doors off the other guy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@litz
I like your suggested methods #1 and #2.
Starting in the low gear sounds like it could improve the 60ft times. My 60ft times are terrible with this car. With the electric assist it should be better IMO.
I feel my RT (reaction time) is good at .3 and .1 pretty close to red light. Hopefully I can get another shot in the quarter soon.
As far as supercharging goes, how about turbocharging it, I purchased a hondata flash pro recently and I am going to install my turbo kit soon.

@Fediej
Totally agree probably won't win but I would love for my starting point to be in the mid to high 17's before turbocharging. That was my target time.
The other car is a friend lol if I add boost he will too would be much better to see two boosted CRZ's down the track
litz and Fediej like this.

TWCompetition
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 AM

2 CRZ drag racing analytics help.

@FormulaCRZ

Yo, Derek here.

Have you done valve adjustment on your Z ? I think itís time for it at 160k.

I also wonder if traction control would help. But you canít turn it off if you have the TPMS warning light ...
litz likes this.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@CrzyCRZ

Hey Derek thanks for sending me that video, I had my valve adjustment done at 100K miles. I was thinking the same thing about traction control, I am able to turn it off as I do not have a TPMS warning light however I did not get the chance to try because I didn't go for a 3rd run.
CrzyCRZ likes this.

TWCompetition
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaCRZ View Post
@CrzyCRZ

Hey Derek thanks for sending me that video, I had my valve adjustment done at 100K miles. I was thinking the same thing about traction control, I am able to turn it off as I do not have a TPMS warning light however I did not get the chance to try because I didn't go for a 3rd run.

No problem
I should have mentioned about it but oh well lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode