The "How many mods before it's considered a build?" thread - Page 4 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
I'd say the Nokian winter tires are probably every bit as good as we've read and heard, if you can afford them. I got them used and cheap and I would rank them nearly as good as new Bridgestone Blizzaks, a little better than new General Arctic Altimax, a couple steps better than Firestone Winterforce, and quite a bit better than used Blizzaks. When it's time to replace them(should have one more winter on them) we'll see what my budget says. The Generals have been pretty good for us too, and they're usually much more wallet friendly.
To update this little review for the benefit of @96firephoenix and anyone else interested in planning ahead for the next season's worth of fluffy white/slushy grey/frigid cold:
As good as this set of Nokian Hakkapallitas have been traction wise, they are extremely sensitive to anything above about 45-50 degrees F. I put nearly 10,000 miles on these tires each of the last 2 winters (apx 20000 total) and barely used 1/32 of tread depth off the front tires, nothing off the rears. During my 400(ish) mile road trip to Iowa and back when it was 50+ degrees that day? The rubber powder caked the outside of my front fenders when I got home. Almost 4/32 shredded off the fronts. I know that winter tires don't like warmer temps, but I don't know that any other major brand is quite that sensitive. As previously mentioned, I did get this set of tires used, so I don't know how the previous owner maintained them and if that would have anything to do with this. At this point I don't know if I'll be getting another set, we'll see what my budget is come October/November this year. Right now my focus is on finding wheels/tires for Spring/Summer/Fall.
96firephoenix likes this.

Last edited by Fediej; 03-21-2019 at 05:23 AM. Reason: more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Garage
To add to the above post: Even though I have 2 tires that currently have tread depth measuring at 3/32, they are not hitting the wear bars yet, still have all of their siping, and still grip well in a fair amount of snow, rain and even icy conditions. I've had Blizzaks with deeper rubber but all the siping gone, leaving the tread blocks baby butt smooth, and worthless for any kind of inclement weather driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode