Redjester's Build Thread - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Redjester's Build Thread

I've been debating creating a build thread for a while. But it has gotten to the point that I need one just to keep track of mods that I have done and mods that I plan to do.

Backstory:

Like a few of the others here my obsession with the Z started with me trying to find a mid-sized economy car for commuting to work. Switching jobs had cost me my company vehicle and given me a 80 mile round trip commute. Needless to say that my 2003 Chevy Silverado (may she R.I.P) was not going to survive the continuous highway time and the 15mpg was going to destroy any incentive for making the job change. So in looking through different passenger cars I came across the Z and this forum. I stalked the guys here and their build threads for about 6 months and decided that I wanted a Z for myself so when a 2014 CBP showed up on a used lot about 30 miles away I was sold.

Here's how she looked the night I brought her home:

2014 Crystal Black Pearl EX-Navi, 6MT, 18,XXXmiles

I had really no intention of modding this car. I loved her, but she is just a commuter. I had the windows tinted 20% front, 5% rear and left it at that.

A year later I have fallen completely into modification madness and there really is no turning back.

Current Exterior:

Current under the hood:

Current Interior:

So here is my list of current mods, future planning is listed in the separate section below. Please feel free to comment, steal ideas, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine / Drivetrain:

- Greddy Turbo w/intercooler, (Intercooler and piping powdercoated vein red over silver flake // Turbo hot side ceramic jet black)
- TD04 Thermal Zero Turbo Blanket
- Denso IK22 plugs
- Jackson Racing PCV valve
- Mishimoto Oil Catch Can X2 (PCV and Blow by)
- Koyorad Aluminum Radiator, (Tanks powdercoated black)
- Max Bored Stock Throttle Body (54mm), (Painted flat black)
- GE8 Fit intake, (gloss black)
- Stock Lower manifold, ported and polished, ( Powdercoated vein red w/silver flake)
- HKS Hi-powered silent midpipe
- Ark Performance axle-back
- Ark Performance Secondary High Flow Cat
- Optima D51R Yellow Top

Suspension / Wheels / Breaks:

- Ksport Coilovers - Kontrol Pro System
- Progress Rear Sway Bar
- Megan Racing front fender brace, (Powdercoated vein red w/silver flake) **Don't judge, it was free
- Spacers - 20mm Front / 25mm Rear
- Mugen GP 17x7s (Powdercoated gloss black)
- Nitto Neo Gen All-Season Tire - 225/45R17 94Z
- Nordman 5 Winter Tires - 195/55R16 On Stock Rims.

Exterior:

- Mugen ZF2 Grille
- Seibon TS Hood
- Beatbrush Underpanel (Powdercoated gloss black)
- Diode Dynamics, Hi-Beam HID Kit (6000k)
- Diode Dynamics, Fog HID Kit (6000k)
- Diode Dynamics, Switchback kit (6000k)
- KMoon Wiper Delete
- Taillight "eyeliner" mod

Interior:

- CWest Triple Gauge Pod (Refinished textured black)
- Custom A-Beam Triple Gauge Pod
- Prosport JDM Style Gauges:
- Wideband A/F
- Boost (PSI)
- Oil Pressure
- Oil Temp
- Water Temp
- Exhaust Temp
- Full Doors / Hatch / Rear seat sound deadened and CCF installed
- Polk Audio upgrade:
- 6.5" 650 Components
- 6.5" 651s Slim mount rears
- Stock Amplifier Bi-pass
- JL 700w/5ch Amp
- Slim mount Subwoofer upgrade
- Pioneer 8" 700w Sub
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of super sad items waiting to be installed:

- Detschwerks 450cc Injectors
- Kansai Service rear Strut Bar
- Heko Visors
- Litz's Vented Fog Light Garnish Mod - In Progress

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Planned / Future Mods: (No set order)

- Clazzio Seat Covers
- Spoon FSB
supercrz and jns like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM

"- Megan Racing front fender brace, (Powdercoated vein red w/silver flake) **Don't judge, it was free"

Don't judge? bah some of us would spend money on one even though we know it wont add much/anything

Any chance you have dyno ideas about what the car is currently making HP and TQ? It looks like you've done a decent bit there.

2011 CR-Z EX 6MT CBP
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Haha, I like the brace, although it didn't seem like it felt much different when I installed it (but I could tell some difference) so in my humble opinion worth it. Was a package deal with the blf, which is why I called it free.

I'm currently trying to find a dyno locally that I can use as a pre and post turbo tune. I've located one but I've just not had the time to nail them down on some dyno time to see where I am at now.

I will say that I installed my TB / ported intake and fit GE8 plenum in the same weekend, and after an idle re-learn on the ECU, I could feel a difference in the mid-range torque and throttle response, but I really want numbers to see.

Normal felt between normal and sport... and sport might as well just be on the floor.
SPICCIANI likes this.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Been a while since I updated this. Since my last posting, I've added the high flow ark secondary cat, and both gauge pods with associated gauges. But mainly fixed the stupid photobucket links.

Next major upgrade will be the turbo when it gets in, along with a tune.

But while I wait on the boat, a few minor wishlist items will be checked.

Also if Litz would ever hand over his secret for engine bay shrouds, that would be fantastic.
litz likes this.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJester View Post
...Also if Litz would ever hand over his secret for engine bay shrouds, that would be fantastic.
Only if you hand over the secret to your A-pillar gauge pod!

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
Only if you hand over the secret to your A-pillar gauge pod!
The a-pillar gauge pod was the result of about 6 months of me slowly teaching myself how to fiberglass. As well as a good test of my patience.

I don't have any really good pictures of the process. However, I will take a few more of the finished product when I have a nice day.

Essentially I was wanting to add more than just the three gauges that C-West's triple pod added. I plan on boosting, so I wanted Boost, A/F, oil pressure and temps. I purchased a couple cheap universal gauge pods off of Amazon and cut around on them trying to figure out how to best position the pods.

I wound up using this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018AO48A...=2475540800801

I had a few goals in mind when I started, I wanted the gauges obviously, but I also wanted to come close to the stock interior without going overboard rice and definitely without seriously affecting the way the side curtain airbags functioned.

After a few attempts at placement, I settled on the current configuration, removed the A-pillar trim and cut the universal pod to fit as snug as possible. I then used jbweld plastic epoxy to hold it in place.

Then came my fiberglass adventure. Had never done it before, it was a disaster. I'll spare the details.

Fiber-glassed the front side of the pod to the pillar trim. (remember to use acetone or rubbing alcohol to remove any form oil or sealant off of the two pieces.)

I then used a drimmel to remove the pillar trim that was on the back side of the pod while leaving the clips in place.

Used fiberglass on the back side to re-enforce the trim and hold the pods from the back side as well. (didn't want it to explode into my face if I ever pop that airbag)

Then sanded and finished with a krylon plastic satin finish. (dry sprayed).

Needs a touchup sand and refinish if I ever remove it. But I'm happy with it for now.
litz likes this.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I think I remember you mentioning that you were going to teach yourself how to fiberglass a while back, and thought I should do the same (with my engine covers, as templates.) Glad to see that you've actually followed through--looks great. ...Maybe, I'll have to do the same, but I'm in the same boat as you were before you started, and just need to learn by doing.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
You'll find with fiberglassing it's a matter of, "Holy crap, that's all there is to it?"

After all, they make Vettes out of the stuff. And -no telling why- they get people to buy them.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
You'll find with fiberglassing it's a matter of, "Holy crap, that's all there is to it?"

After all, they make Vettes out of the stuff. And -no telling why- they get people to buy them.
When I was working with fiberglass for my added attachment points for the center gauge pod and the seibon hood vent inserts, all I was saying was "Holy crap, that's setting too fast!"

post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
they make Vettes out of the stuff.
I made the mistake of saying that while standing next to my father-in-law. He corrected me immediately. They haven't made Vettes out of the stuff for quite some time now. Bodies are composite now, like Saturns were. Whether that's better or not is rather subjective. But after driving it, much like the S2000 a couple weeks ago, I understand why people own them. Still can't justify buying one though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode