pongoro87's build thread - Page 3 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pongoro87 View Post
the spare wheel tire I have is a 16x7 w/ the recommended tire size (195/55R/16)... this pushes the floor 3" upwards... the reason I went with this wheel is because w/ the regular steel wheel it comes with, you can't go more than 70mph, the car just moves to the sides with every bump it hits on the road.
If you were to go w/ the steel wheel set up... I believe it will only push the floor 2" upwards... but to be honest, I don't notice any loss of storage space on the hatch... unless someone is planning on putting really tall items in there.
I have a 2013 EX so it came with no spare at all. I have a compressor with fix a flat and an 800# if I get a flat.( whats weird is I have all the tools) I have all kinds of under floor storage. I am not really sure if I want to get the spare tire kit. This has been discussed before so I was curious about real world experiences.

It is not how high it makes the floor it is the fit , finish and rattles I am concerned with.

I thought the spare tires were limited to 50 MPH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
I have a 2013 EX so it came with no spare at all. I have a compressor with fix a flat and an 800# if I get a flat.( whats weird is I have all the tools) I have all kinds of under floor storage. I am not really sure if I want to get the spare tire kit. This has been discussed before so I was curious about real world experiences.

It is not how high it makes the floor it is the fit , finish and rattles I am concerned with.

you won't have to worry about rattle sounds I can assure you that, the finish isn't bad at all, too ( I will post pictures later today)...
The reason I went w/ the spare tire kit was because I already had a flat tire incident around 3:00 am, couldn't use the kit that comes w/ the car stock 'cause the tire got shredded... had to wait 5 hours to find the right spare tire for the car, it was a pretty stressful sunday morning.... having a spare tire can get you out of trouble within minutes
Spdbump likes this.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:

just driving at 40mph w/ the thin steely wheel/tire was pretty uncomfortable, you can feel it more due to the short wheel base our cars have
Spdbump likes this.

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Super Duper Member

Thank you. I have already had two flats with The Speed Bump but both were driveable ( Over inflate slow leak drive to dealer)and one was fixable the other required a tire replacement.
I now stay out of the back edges of home improvement parking lots and have replaced the Dunlops so I am hoping I will not have another flat any time soon!

Now that I have the Pirellis I think the tires are a bit tougher or I am delusional.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Thank you. I have already had two flats with The Speed Bump but both were driveable ( Over inflate slow leak drive to dealer)and one was fixable the other required a tire replacement.
I now stay out of the back edges of home improvement parking lots and have replaced the Dunlops so I am hoping I will not have another flat any time soon!

Now that I have the Pirellis I think the tires are a bit tougher or I am delusional.
for local city driving I think it should be fine not having a spare tire... but for long road trips, which I am about to use the car for... a spare tire would be a big time saver if something happens along the way... I would invest in one if you are planning on keeping the CR-Z for a while
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
for local city driving I think it should be fine not having a spare tire... but for long road trips, which I am about to use the car for... a spare tire would be a big time saver if something happens along the way... I would invest in one if you are planning on keeping the CR-Z for a while
Funny you should mention long trips. Since I bought the car I have driven to relocate from VA to TX then from TX to NY. I am currently unemployed and the spare tire kit is on my wish list once there is money and the car is paid off.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Funny you should mention long trips. Since I bought the car I have driven to relocate from VA to TX then from TX to NY. I am currently unemployed and the spare tire kit is on my wish list once there is money and the car is paid off.
you can always just buy the "T" frame black part that bolts on the car's frame & the wheel holder bell and bolt, the foam parts are only needed to hold the jack and parts (which already comes w/ the car)
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

but I think by the time you add those up, it will be cheaper to buy the entire kit

Honda Parts Unlimited | Genuine OEM Honda Parts & Accessories
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
you can always just buy the "T" frame black part that bolts on the car's frame & the wheel holder bell and bolt, the foam parts are only needed to hold the jack and parts (which already comes w/ the car)
The foam for cars with Spares and without are different. If I had a camera I could show you but I do not have any device that works as a camera at the moment. Thank you for the idea though.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
The foam for cars with Spares and without are different. If I had a camera I could show you but I do not have any device that works as a camera at the moment. Thank you for the idea though.
you mean this one?

you can buy the metal frame beam thingy that holds the spare tire in place, it is the same as the stock one... the only difference is the one in the kit has a hole were the bolt attaches to.
before I got my spare tire... I was borrowing my mother's nissan juke's spare tire, which is compatible to our cars... the only problem is that it was bigger in diameter, I couldn't use the foam pieces that go on the sides.... so I only had the spare tire by itself on the hatch with no problems or sounds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode