Brampton Charity Autocross - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By CR-Z Canadian
  • 1 Post By Zycle
  • 1 Post By Zycle
  • 1 Post By CR-Z Canadian
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian
 
CR-Z Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,148
Brampton Charity Autocross



Pinnacle Driving Academy and the Push It To the Limit autocross series will be hosting a charity Police autocross challenge this Sunday! Come on out and see if you have what it takes to beat the boys in blue.
The challenge will run in conjunction with PITL event #7 on Sunday at the CAA Centre in Brampton (formerly Powerade Centre). Members from Peel,Metro and the OPP will square off to see who has the stuff to put down lap times. This event is raising money for charity and will have media coverage as well. Pinnacle instructors will be on site offering instruction to the Police force in the morning before the events starts. They will also be offering free instruction to all competitors throughout the day.

Where: CAA Centre, 7575 Kennedy Rd. S., Brampton
When: Sunday, August 26th
Time: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Cost: $40 (lunch included)
Who: Anybody with a road worthy car

Register for the PITL auto slalom event here: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...o-limit-169227

***Online pre-registration is mandatory***
@Shamarskii, @Zycle, thought this might appeal.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear … but no one can tell who is charging whom!

Last edited by CR-Z Canadian; 08-24-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: fixed broken link
CR-Z Canadian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mississauga, GTA, Ontario
Posts: 337
*Free* instruction is all I needed to see.

I'll be checking that out for sure. I don't think my Sunday is booked.. I hope :O

Thanks!

Your nurse in training
are you in Ontario or Québec?
Shamarskii is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian
 
CR-Z Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamarskii View Post
*Free* instruction is all I needed to see.

I'll be checking that out for sure. I don't think my Sunday is booked.. I hope :O

Thanks!
Hope you get a chance.
It'll be a fun event. Too far for me and I cannot afford the time right now.
I'm on the track on Monday, so I'll get my fix.

Pinnacle is the group who organized the track day where Zycle burned off his brake pads last month.
They are a good crew. Lots of knowledge there.
Autocross goes by fast - course is a minute long and then you wait for your next run. That's my only beef with it.
But it's cheap compared to a track day, fun, and you get to push your car to limits at safer speeds (if something were to go wrong, you'll probably still bring it home under its own power).

I suspect that the spots will fill up fast, so best decide soon.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear … but no one can tell who is charging whom!
CR-Z Canadian is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 62
Darn, missed this. Been offline for a couple weeks moving (same city as before just different place).
Zycle is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian
 
CR-Z Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zycle View Post
Darn, missed this. Been offline for a couple weeks moving (same city as before just different place).
They are already working on more collaborations with various police services - I will let you know if I hear of other dates.

Hope the move went well. I don't intend to do one of those ever again - they'll carry me off the farm feet first!
Zycle likes this.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear … but no one can tell who is charging whom!
CR-Z Canadian is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 62
Move to new place went well. Happy to be out of the old place and away from the cheapest possible landlord that refused to fix the shower or heat properly so they kept breaking!

I'll be at WOSCA's London autocross event this Saturday. Playing with my Scion FRS now. Miss the CR-Z but it has a good home. I'll also be at PADA's Oct. 13th lapping evening to see if I can burn off the stock brakes on the new car.
CR-Z Canadian likes this.
Zycle is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian
 
CR-Z Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zycle View Post
Move to new place went well. Happy to be out of the old place and away from the cheapest possible landlord that refused to fix the shower or heat properly so they kept breaking!

I'll be at WOSCA's London autocross event this Saturday. Playing with my Scion FRS now. Miss the CR-Z but it has a good home. I'll also be at PADA's Oct. 13th lapping evening to see if I can burn off the stock brakes on the new car.
Didn't know you sold.

The 86 is a solid platform. Hope it serves you well.

I'm probably not going to make Fanshawe College on Saturday - I'm on track at Grand Bend all day this Friday and will be back there for lapping Oct 13.
So maybe our paths will cross next year.
I'll take you for a pony ride in the 4C in exchange for being chauffeured around the track in your FRS???

Good luck on Saturday!

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear … but no one can tell who is charging whom!
CR-Z Canadian is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-Z Canadian View Post
Didn't know you sold.

The 86 is a solid platform. Hope it serves you well.

I'm probably not going to make Fanshawe College on Saturday - I'm on track at Grand Bend all day this Friday and will be back there for lapping Oct 13.
So maybe our paths will cross next year.
I'll take you for a pony ride in the 4C in exchange for being chauffeured around the track in your FRS???

Good luck on Saturday!
Thanks! Sounds like a plan. In comparison to the 4C the FRS is probably quite comfortable, but I'm still getting use to sitting lower and getting in / out of the car. Subaru could sure learn a thing or two about interior quality from Honda! I had a year of fun (and cheap running costs) with the CR-Z. I've only daily driven FF (or RR during summer weekends, Corvair, never hard enough to feel the platform) I figured I should give FR a go. I've always been a handling over power kind of person so the FRS/BRZ is a good fit. I ended up drifting most of my first autocross event up in Barrie last weekend. I'm still on the slippery stock tires as I bought a low mileage 2013. I never planned on doing performance driving with the CR-Z when I bought it, but now I'm hooked so it seemed reasonable to get a car "made" for it.

How do you get involved with Grand Bend lapping? Are these club events, or do they have non associated open lapping? I'm a little hesitant to do open-lapping as I think lapping associated with a club (like PADA) is safer. Do they have good marshals there? When the open lapping started after the PADA school at TMP things seemed a bit crazy.
CR-Z Canadian likes this.
Zycle is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian
 
CR-Z Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zycle View Post
Thanks! Sounds like a plan. In comparison to the 4C the FRS is probably quite comfortable, but I'm still getting use to sitting lower and getting in / out of the car. Subaru could sure learn a thing or two about interior quality from Honda! I had a year of fun (and cheap running costs) with the CR-Z. I've only daily driven FF (or RR during summer weekends, Corvair, never hard enough to feel the platform) I figured I should give FR a go. I've always been a handling over power kind of person so the FRS/BRZ is a good fit. I ended up drifting most of my first autocross event up in Barrie last weekend. I'm still on the slippery stock tires as I bought a low mileage 2013. I never planned on doing performance driving with the CR-Z when I bought it, but now I'm hooked so it seemed reasonable to get a car "made" for it.

How do you get involved with Grand Bend lapping? Are these club events, or do they have non associated open lapping? I'm a little hesitant to do open-lapping as I think lapping associated with a club (like PADA) is safer. Do they have good marshals there? When the open lapping started after the PADA school at TMP things seemed a bit crazy.

You chose wisely. It might be a bit low on power, but the 86 platform handles very well, and on tracks like Cayuga ot the Bend power doesn’t matter as much. Straights are for fast cars. Corners are for fast drivers!

The events I go to are put on by Porsche of London, and are a bit of a hybrid between HPDE, open lapping, and social gathering. It’s expensive, but you get the track for the day, usually fewer than 10 cars per run group, 20 minute sessions, and instruction available. Plus lunch .

Grand Bend also hosts open car lapping. Mainly Thursday afternoons 2x per month. Bikes run the other two Thursdays. I know people who go regularly. I've not been yet, but will in October. I also did a lapping afternoon with Melons Better Driving. Experience was OK. Not as good as PADA. Yeah, what you saw there is better than most open lapping. The issue that I had was all of the instructors ran for their own cars instead of helping out those who still needed it, and I did’t see anyone actually minding the track. It was supposed to be an introductory event. That was not cool.

The track at the Bend has fantastic marshalls. They actually watch what’s happening. I’ve never seen fewer than two plus EMS (also a marshall), and occasionally more. Tim, the head marshall, takes grat care of the track and the people who use it.
Zycle likes this.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear … but no one can tell who is charging whom!
CR-Z Canadian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome