Roof racks - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spdbump
  • 1 Post By zacatac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Roof racks

Hey everyone! What would you guys recommend for roof racks that are of good quality and won't break the bank? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Super Duper Member

You are aware of the 100lb roof limit for our cars right? I tried to search for the thread on roof racks and could not find it. sorry. Just for weight savings alone if I wanted a roof rack for a single bicycle I would get a [https://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/] Sea Sucker any of the other ones I looked at Thule, Yakima etc seem like the rack is so heavy you would be over the load limit for our roof. All of this is my opinion and many will argue with me( I have seen other members have various brands of roof racks). This roof limit is part of the reason I believe our cars have no factory sunroof available. there is a glass roof but no actual openable roof.
Spyder6146 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Ya, I have a 40 lb canoe that I want to transport. I'll check out your link. Thanks!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZ Canada View Post
Ya, I have a 40 lb canoe that I want to transport. I'll check out your link. Thanks!
I believe they make more universal racks but as I decided I did not need my bicycle anymore it is a moot point. I know for canoes and kayaks there are portable foam and straps for transport that might be lighter. Let us know what you decide.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:13 PM

I'd be very sceptical of any system that mounts directly in the roof panel, be it suction or just foam pads. My roof flexes just from my hand on the wash out when I wash the car. At least if you get a traditional roof rack the weight would be distributed in to the reinforced frame area rather than on the flimsy sheet metal panel.
Spdbump likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatac View Post
I'd be very sceptical of any system that mounts directly in the roof panel, be it suction or just foam pads. My roof flexes just from my hand on the wash out when I wash the car. At least if you get a traditional roof rack the weight would be distributed in to the reinforced frame area rather than on the flimsy sheet metal panel.

A good point had not thought about that. The sea sucker is designed to mount to windshield and roof edge in front and if bike is long enough rear most part of the roof. I also believe the Suction devices are big enough to spread the weight But depending on what you are carrying you may want a more traditional rack. My friend with a Kayak uses foam pads and straps and positions them at the edges of the roof and nothing touches where the roof flexes but he is not a CR-Z owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in