what affects mpg? - Page 3 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 12:28 PM

Cost Per Mile

I use the cost per mile factor which for me through 120,000 has consistantly been 9 cents per mile. When people give me grief about my "economy" car I tell them I spend $9000 for fuel. Some state that that is what they spend per year also.......I just pat them on the head and say "there, there....that's for 5 years and 100,000 miles."
Scott Plantier likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 06:33 PM

I discovered that eco mode is NOT for highway. I was getting mid 30's at speeds above 70. when I put it in normal I am getting 40mpg consistent on florida highways. My test case is orlando to Tampa and back, Orlando to Miami and back as well. In "normal" I get an average as displayed in the car of 39-40mpg

CAR: 2011 CRZ Base with CVT
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Gray View Post
I discovered that eco mode is NOT for highway. I was getting mid 30's at speeds above 70. when I put it in normal I am getting 40mpg consistent on florida highways. My test case is orlando to Tampa and back, Orlando to Miami and back as well. In "normal" I get an average as displayed in the car of 39-40mpg
I personally disagree. Sharing between ECON and NORMAL, I'm able to get into low 5's/high 4's L/100km (highway) Just in ECON I give enough throttle to have at least one bar of assist, and whenever there's no more assist I switch to NORMAL to recharge the battery.

This worked for me between 110 to 120 km/h. Below 110 staying in ECON worked best for me. Had me at 4.6L/100km on a good day.(I might have had a tailwind )

What I believe it is, is fuel use during acceleration. ECON is great for gradual slow ones, just give enough throttle to get more IMA assist.
litz and Scott Plantier like this.

Your nurse in training
are you in Ontario or Québec?

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Feel free to disagree, but that is my exact experience in my car. Eco mode delivers less gas mileage than normal mode at speeds >70. Granted I run at 42psi and use the cruise control set at about 75mph and have the CVT. Solid 39-40mpg in normal mode over 230 mile run from orlando to miami on the toll road. repeated this a total of 4 times got the same result on each.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Super Duper Member

In the Speed Bump in the first year running speed limit and in Econ all the time I got a high of 45 and a low of 32 MPG. Now that I have started playing with the modes I can eek out up to 51 on long haul trips and no less than 32 MPG running around town. If you run over 60 MPH your MPG will drop. I discovered that when I was living in TX and most roads were 70 MPH. There I was lucky if I got above 28 MPG. What affects your MPG more than anything else is your right foot. Cruise control in my experience lowers MPG as it does not anticipate uphills and down hills. The Speed Bump is a 2013 CVT.

Why are you running such high Air pressure in your tires? I am running between 31 and 32 PSI on Pirelli P7 Centurado(sic) All seasons
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 04:26 PM

Because I have found it makes a big difference in rolling resistance and a measureable increase in fuel economy. Been doing that for over a decade in everything I drove from my 1999 Grand Cherokee V8 to the wifes BMW. Also cruise control in florida does not have that disadvantage.... we dont have hills. Best gas mileage I have had was 56mpg driving from the Kennedy Space center to Orlando using the back road highways. set the cruise at 55mph, again the only hills we have here are gators that are in the road.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
... I discovered that when I was living in TX and most roads were 70 MPH. There I was lucky if I got above 28 MPG. What affects your MPG more than anything else is your right foot. Cruise control in my experience lowers MPG as it does not anticipate uphills and down hills. The Speed Bump is a 2013 CVT.
To quote myself from a similar thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-CRZ View Post

I believe the proper way to min-max economy is through appropriate throttle control, but above all else, dancing between driving modes. Contrary to what I was lead to believe, ECON is actually very aggressive with ASSIST, and a bit stingy with charging, as charging increases the drag on the engine, lowering MPG.

Basically, for better MPG you use Normal/Sport + throttle control for good MPG and aggressive battery charging. Use ECON to cash in on your now-charged batteries for aggressive assist, and by extension, increased MPG.

The key is to rinse and repeat. Minimize normal/sport downtime. Maximize econ mode uptime.
I'd suggest massaging the Speed Bumps mode-buttons to combat hills (assuming they are not 45 seconds worth of incline, and instead, brief 10-20 second inclines). As soon as I approach an incline I swap to Econ mode and let the battery run itself dry, while never dipping below 40-45mpg - On the way down? Sport mode for the charging. To Timothy Gray, remember that Cruise Control in Sport Mode keeps your speed exactly where you set it. Econ Mode however will keep your cruise control within 3 MPH of the set-speed. This wiggle room allows it to prioritize fuel-efficiency over maintaining an exact speed. You can use this to your advantage.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:03 AM

Now I need to find a place with some hills and see if the eco mode does better because of the cruse adaptability. That is very cool that they included that in the eco mode. That may be why in my flat as a frying pan state I am not seeing gains from eco on the highway.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:15 AM
Elite Member

Garage
The sweet spot on my ride has always been 63 mph.

"The tools of our salvation are faith and bullets"
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:22 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-CRZ View Post
To quote myself from a similar thread

I'd suggest massaging the Speed Bumps mode-buttons to combat hills (assuming they are not 45 seconds worth of incline, and instead, brief 10-20 second inclines). As soon as I approach an incline I swap to Econ mode and let the battery run itself dry, while never dipping below 40-45mpg - On the way down? Sport mode for the charging. To Timothy Gray, remember that Cruise Control in Sport Mode keeps your speed exactly where you set it. Econ Mode however will keep your cruise control within 3 MPH of the set-speed. This wiggle room allows it to prioritize fuel-efficiency over maintaining an exact speed. You can use this to your advantage.
I have been doing this and using other suggestions made in this group and have been getting better MPG but with my move to VA and the different commute I have of course my MPG has gone down as my commute is shorter.

Higher speed requires more fuel hence lower MPG. You are also fighting more wind resistance. Features of the CR-Z can compensate to some extent but there is no free lunch.
AZ-CRZ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode