Ebay or other cheap exhaust recommendations - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Ebay or other cheap exhaust recommendations

My last car was a 93 Impreza L that I swapped a 94 sti drivetrain into. The typical Japanese manufacturer's were selling turbo back exhausts ranging from expensive to EXPENSIVE!!!! I picked up a turboback from ebay for under 400 and it was as advertised. 3" from turbo to tip and although not winning any prizes for finish, good quality.

So, is there a company out there making a solid catback in 2.25" to 2.5" for the crz that doesn't cost 500-2k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:33 PM

Garage
HKS sells a cat-back system in the sub $400 range for the CR-Z. Its not too loud but from the videos I've seen it does sound pretty good. I went with the HPD exhaust from Honda but it cost me somewhere around $1400 total. I wanted the center dual tip look and HPD was the only way to go for US models. If you did the HKS system and then a downpipe, you would have a nice sounding exhaust setup. I also went with a tegiwa downpipe that cost around $155 converted from UK pound sterling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180804_162756.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	50757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180724_165636(1).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	50759  

2011 CPB CRZ
Suspension work, intake, exhaust/2nd decat
2017 Black EcoBoost Mustang
Suspension work, Bolt-ons, BAMA tune
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

I went with a cat back I found on amazon for 187. I think I'm going to regret not getting the hks hi power you are talking about. I imagine the amazon one I bought will be to loud. Pretty sure they are the same diameter tubing though. We'll see!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:33 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZRHWK View Post
I went with a cat back I found on amazon for 187. I think I'm going to regret not getting the hks hi power you are talking about. I imagine the amazon one I bought will be to loud. Pretty sure they are the same diameter tubing though. We'll see!
Let us know how it turns out. Take some pics of install, and shoot a video too so we can hear the sound.

Good luck!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

It was an easy install and fit all the existing hangers without issue. Its 2" pipe with a 4" tip which is far enough from the bumper to avoid melting or soot. With the silencer out its not to loud at idle and a bit bassy below 2500. Its not terribly loud at higher rpm but I haven't been on the freeway yet. Ill get a vid later. Hp increase isnt noticable but thats what i expected 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_202430_1555205165570.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	50835  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Freeway is fine at some speeds and generally acceptable. I wouldn't want to drive across country though! Im going t
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
My exhaust setup with the HPD system and tegiwa downpipe can get quite loud in the upper RPM's. Econ mode is the key here as it keeps the RPM's low and the car quiet-ish. I'm sure if you drive the car in Econ mode you would yield the same results with the Amazon exhaust. The real question is how the exhaust will hold up over time. Some of those cheap Ebay/Amazon exhausts are made of cheap stainless steel that can rust pretty badly.

2011 CPB CRZ
Suspension work, intake, exhaust/2nd decat
2017 Black EcoBoost Mustang
Suspension work, Bolt-ons, BAMA tune
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:06 PM

I'm going to be selling an Apexi Axle Back soon... Just need a reason to remove it. lol
its this one
https://apexi-usa.com/hybrid-mega-ev...012-honda-cr-z
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:46 PM

Garage
I bought this one however its very generic so while this listing isn't active anymore its everywhere on amazon and ebay
https://www.amazon.ca/Racing-Stainle.../dp/B01B65M6GI

One of the best mods I did it sounds AMAZING its quiet at idle, barely noticeable on startup and warm up under 2000 rpm is mostly quiet with a low rumble about 2000 to 3000 a low growl and above 3000 a very noticeable yet not overly loud roar, it pops, gurgles and cracks like crazy on downshift and rev
From the rear near the pipe its slightly louder than in the cabin but far more bassy, getting a friend to rev while I listened in the back near the pipe made me cream, my car may not be a supercar but I can tell you it sounds like one, not riced out at all
Its 2.25in and while it didn't suddenly make my car a 10-second car or anything I do notice a difference in normal and sport but a big difference in eco due to a lack of dyno I cannot say for sure but my conservative guess is it added around 5 MAYBE but unlikely 10hp but I can say for sure it added enough hp to make it noticeable beyond butt dyno

However, I would like to add I was worried due to the tip I don't want a rice mobile but it looks and sounds great but I HIGHLY recommend cutting off that riced out looking tip

I paid about 180 for it and it seems to be very high quality build it hasn't rusted and I tested it against a test described on this site to tell if it was cheap or not and it passed, its also a BITCH to cut it ate quite a few metal cutting blades before I finally got the tip sawed off
Forgot to add its a full cat-back not an axle back
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode