Turbo or Vehicle Upgrade? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Turbo or Vehicle Upgrade?

I've toyed with the idea of adding a turbo to my CR-Z since I purchased it in 2011. However, I have always been rather disgusted with the pricing on them for this vehicle. I am now at a crossroads. I am considering moving to a Veloster with similiar mileage as my Z (60,000). So now I am asking this question on both the Z and Veloster forums.

What would you personally do. Commit to the cost of the upgrade on the Z or just bag it and put that money toward the Veloster? I am also open to other vehicle suggestions in the turbo realm.

Thanks!

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Garage
From the standpoint of mileage, the Honda has a much more usable, dependable life ahead, while the Hyundai will be a crap shoot. I'm interested in seeing the comments on the Veloster forum, so if you can give me a link to that post, to see what that group has to say on the subject, that would be enlightening.

Did you consider the classifieds here:
https://www.crzforum.com/forum/class...ml#post1374499

...or a supercharger?

Do you have the 6-Speed or is it a CVT? Wondering too, what the resale value of your CR-Z is, and thinking the hit you take on the resale value is more than what a turbo for it will cost in the end.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
From the standpoint of mileage, the Honda has a much more usable, dependable life ahead, while the Hyundai will be a crap shoot. I'm interested in seeing the comments on the Veloster forum, so if you can give me a link to that post, to see what that group has to say on the subject, that would be enlightening.

Did you consider the classifieds here:
https://www.crzforum.com/forum/class...ml#post1374499

...or a supercharger?

Do you have the 6-Speed or is it a CVT? Wondering too, what the resale value of your CR-Z is, and thinking the hit you take on the resale value is more than what a turbo for it will cost in the end.
CVT not sure if I would trade/sell or simply hand down the Z.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:36 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnaathra View Post
I've toyed with the idea of adding a turbo to my CR-Z since I purchased it in 2011. However, I have always been rather disgusted with the pricing on them for this vehicle. I am now at a crossroads. I am considering moving to a Veloster with similiar mileage as my Z (60,000). So now I am asking this question on both the Z and Veloster forums.
What would you personally do. Commit to the cost of the upgrade on the Z or just bag it and put that money toward the Veloster? I am also open to other vehicle suggestions in the turbo realm.
Thanks!
J
Even though I'm a fan of the controversial and quirky styling, I wouldn't bother with The naturally aspirated or Turbo versions of the 1st generation Veloster at all. I personally would stick with the CR-Z unless you're talking about the R-spec or N-line. Those are worthy of serious consideration, though the N-line is pushing the far end of the price scale. An R-spec (2018-2019) can be found/bargained for in the low $20,000 range.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:44 AM
Super Duper Member

Very simple questions. What do you need the car to do 90% of the time? What doesn't the car you currently have do that you want it to do 90% of the time? How much are you willing to spend to get the car you want that does what you think you want?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:22 AM

If you plan to keep the crz i would say save up and then get the best turbo/superchargwr out there to get the max out of cvt on stock internals thats probably 170-180whp to be safe. I got sprintex that was rhe cheapest option available but power was limited currently trying to figure out ways to increase power in it thats with smaller pulley but issue is non intercooled so figuring out ways how to make cooler so that engine can handle the heat. So make sure to get the best one if u want most power out of ur crz
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:35 AM

Garage
Most of the turbo options out there for the Z require custom piping unless you can get your hands on a top secret Greddy turbo kit. I personally would go for the Sprintex as it is a complete bolt on kit and can be easily reversed if selling the car. As for mileage 60k miles is not much for any Honda or Toyota out there. There was even a Toyota Tacoma that had 1,000,000 miles on the ODO. I would not be surprised if you could push the Z to 300k miles well maintained. The Z has good gas mileage and is fun to drive.

2011 CPB CRZ
Suspension work, intake, exhaust/2nd decat
2017 Black EcoBoost Mustang
Suspension work, Bolt-ons, BAMA tune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode