Can the OBD-II port be wired so it shuts off when car not running? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Can the OBD-II port be wired so it shuts off when car not running?

Fellow Drivers,
I'm trying to get a OBD-II / instrument display working. My current problem is that when the car and the android tablet shut off, the OBD-II transmitter goes into "deep sleep". The only way I've found to wake up the OBD-II transmitter is to unplug it, then plug it back in.
I'm wondering if there is a way to re-wire the fuse box so that the OBD-II port no longer gets power when the car is off.
I'm using an android tablet (v 5.0.2), and an OBDlink LX bluetooth transmitter.

Thanks much for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:49 AM
Super Duper Member

Not so much rewire the fuse box, but rewiring the OBD port so that it draws power from a switched source instead of it's original wiring.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response!

Could you please provide more details, or maybe point me to a thread on this subject. I've tried searching this forum, but no luck...

How would I go about rewiring the OBD port? I can find a switched source, but I don't know where the OBD port gets it's current power...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Duper Member

Or you may be able to use male and female connectors( or modify an extension cable) and wire all connections straight through except power and put a manual switch on that so you are not permanently changing the OBD 2 port. This is so if where you are they use OBD 2 for inspection the car responds as expected when your Android is disconnected for inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School2 View Post
Thank you for the response!

Could you please provide more details, or maybe point me to a thread on this subject. I've tried searching this forum, but no luck...

How would I go about rewiring the OBD port? I can find a switched source, but I don't know where the OBD port gets it's current power...

Last edited by Spdbump; 06-30-2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Spelling grammar additional info
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 12:35 PM
Super Duper Member

Yeah do what spd said. You can get an OBD port extension harness and modify that instead of the OEM harness.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Or you may be able to use a male and female connectors and wire all connections straight through except power and put a manual switch on that so you are not permanently changing the OBD 2 port so if where you are they use it for inspection car tesponds as expected when your android is disconnected for inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
Yeah do what spd said. You can get an OBD port extension harness and modify that instead of the OEM harness.
Yes, this sounds way better than what I said.

You could probably go a step further than the manual switch and use a switching relay tied to an On-in-run-only circuit so that the relay is open except in run - saves you having to switch the thing on and off, which I think OP would find just as annoying as unplugging the OBD scanner each time.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Garage
All of that sounds good, but will you have a problem with the readings turning "off" when auto-stop engages? ???
Spdbump likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
All of that sounds good, but will you have a problem with the readings turning "off" when auto-stop engages? ???

I mentioned this before but some devices ( in my case a Scan Gauge II) have a setting to lessen issues when car auto stops. As for a relay circuit it depends what other circuit you use as the trigger. This is another vote for the very simple manual switch.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:45 PM
Elite Member

Garage
i wrote a response, lost it as i was previewing it...

anyways, in short, i have the same unit, OBDLink LX Bluetooth.

it does go into a low-power mode when the vehicle is off. however, it is always receiving power. you shouldn't have to unplug it and plug it back in.

i think the issue here is that you need to re-connect the unit from within the app you're using manually. I use the OBDLink android app (which will prompt to connect on app start up) but perhaps other software may not talk well with the OBDLink.

it's one extra step from being set and forget, but i don't always monitor my vehicle so it hasn't been a particular issue for me. though it would be nice if it would just find and reconnect like most bluetooth devices.

'13 CRZ - PWP EX 6MT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray View Post
i wrote a response, lost it as i was previewing it...

anyways, in short, i have the same unit, OBDLink LX Bluetooth.

it does go into a low-power mode when the vehicle is off. however, it is always receiving power. you shouldn't have to unplug it and plug it back in.

i think the issue here is that you need to re-connect the unit from within the app you're using manually. I use the OBDLink android app (which will prompt to connect on app start up) but perhaps other software may not talk well with the OBDLink.
Thank you for the info and thoughts! I have been using Torque Pro on an android. I'll give other apps a try...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode