What combination of OBD2 senders and mobile devices work well? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

What combination of OBD2 senders and mobile devices work well?

Fellow Drivers,

From what I've been able to gather, most bluetooth OBD2 senders don't work well with iOS devices. I have an android tablet, and it works better with the bluetooth OBD2 sender that I have, but the program has to keep trying to reconnect.

I'm using the Torque lite app on the android and a "Wishpower OBD II" sender. Has anyone found a sender (either WIFI or bluetooth) which works well with an android tablet? I'm planning on sending the current OBD2 device back, but I would like to get one a device that works first.

Thanks to all for info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:56 AM

I was actually looking at the Greddy Informerer. It plugs right into OBD connector and shows various values with a touch screen. Of course, thereís always a cheaper option by getting the ultragauge/ scangauge. I use the AEM OBD gauge and it supports and shows hybrid battery % surprisingly.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:56 PM

Garage
For a very cheap but very cool setup Id recommend looking online for a cheap older phone and get a OEM phone holder and a cheap chinese elm 327 clone adaptor then you can mount and integrate it into the car so its useful not just for torque but you can play music off of it and charge it all hardwire
What I did was buy a old samsung stratosphere about 20usd on amazon, a samsung stratosphere OEM holder about 15 - 20 usd on amazon(has aux and charging port built in which makes it easy to hardwire) and a cheap elm 327 clone 5 - 7 usd and snagged torque pro off a apk site it looked good and I loved it, I just stopped using it as I have upgraded to a android head unit and no longer need it
However to answer just your original question I cannot comment on ios but I have had zero issues with elm 327 clones with any of my phones, tablet or head unit
CrzyCRZ likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Super Duper Member

What information do you want from the OBD II that torque provides that a hard wired Scan Gauge II doesn’t? Scan Gauge II or E or both are less than $170 US each and if you bought both takes less dash / windshield space than a phone or tablet and can through X-Gauge feature monitor just about everything from the OD B II no wireless anything no interference etc. just another idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd Carter View Post
For a very cheap but very cool setup Id recommend looking online for a cheap older phone and get a OEM phone holder and a cheap chinese elm 327 clone adaptor then you can mount and integrate it into the car so its useful not just for torque but you can play music off of it and charge it all hardwire
What I did was buy a old samsung stratosphere about 20usd on amazon, a samsung stratosphere OEM holder about 15 - 20 usd on amazon(has aux and charging port built in which makes it easy to hardwire) and a cheap elm 327 clone 5 - 7 usd and snagged torque pro off a apk site it looked good and I loved it, I just stopped using it as I have upgraded to a android head unit and no longer need it
However to answer just your original question I cannot comment on ios but I have had zero issues with elm 327 clones with any of my phones, tablet or head unit
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Could someone post a link to the OBD2 sender that they have used with success? I got mine for about $20, and it keeps cutting out. I would like a "cheap" sender (bluetooth or WIFI) which other CR-Z owners have had good luck with. I have an old Android tablet for display.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School2 View Post
Could someone post a link to the OBD2 sender that they have used with success? I got mine for about $20, and it keeps cutting out. I would like a "cheap" sender (bluetooth or WIFI) which other CR-Z owners have had good luck with. I have an old Android tablet for display.

Thanks again!

My AEM OBD cuts out everytime the engine is in Autostop mode. I think the OBD Port only works when the engine is on.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCRZ View Post
My AEM OBD cuts out everytime the engine is in Autostop mode. I think the OBD Port only works when the engine is on.
Mine doesnt, it zeros out all my dials but stays connected to the ecu
The port always has power, but will only connect with the car "on" it doesnt have to be started, in fact you cannot clear codes when the engine on
CrzyCRZ likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School2 View Post

Thanks again!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2K6M2A/
This is the one I bought but they are all over eBay and Amazon you might find one cheaper if you search
This one is alittle over 8usd
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd Carter View Post
Mine doesnt, it zeros out all my dials but stays connected to the ecu

Interesting, I think my gauge zeroes our the reading too but it look like itís off.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
What information do you want from the OBD II that torque provides that a hard wired Scan Gauge II doesnít? Scan Gauge II or E or both are less than $170 US each and if you bought both takes less dash / windshield space than a phone or tablet and can through X-Gauge feature monitor just about everything from the OD B II no wireless anything no interference etc. just another idea.
170usd is far more than a combined total of 50usd, plus I like the idea of having a mini computer I dont use it just for torque, my android radio cost a little more than that and can do way way way more, its value and functionality that it offers over something like that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode