Will 91 Octane and 10% Ethanol damage HPD Supercharger? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Will 91 Octane and 10% Ethanol damage HPD Supercharger?

Fellow Drivers,
I am eagerly awaiting the day when the HPD Supercharger gets installed in my 2011 CR-Z 6MT. The technician who will do the work told me I can only use 93 Octane gas once the Supercharger is in place.

The problem is, not all areas carry 93 octane. Their "premium" is 91 octane, but you generally can't tell until you pull up to the pump. So...

If I need gas and only 91 octane with 10% ethanol is available, is it OK to use? Is there some additive to compensate for the lower octane? Is 91 pretty much the same as 93, and I just need to use "premium" gas?

BTW: really no Ethanol-free gas where I live or areas that I frequently drive to...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Super Duper Member

There are lots of Octane boosters you can find. Try to avoid more than 10% ethanol it it virtually impossible to find Ethanol free gasoline thank the Corn Lobby and our government.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:24 PM
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Where are you located?
"Octane" ratings are not the same the world over.

93RON (Europe) is close to 89AKI (North America)

As the HPD is a stock item, it should run on up to E10 (10% enthanol) without problems, but I'd only recommend using brand name "Top Tier" fuels to ensure that there isn't more than this.

Shell V-Power 91 Octane (AKI, or RON+MON/2) contains no ethanol. That's all I use in the good cars.

EDIT: btw, it won't damage the supercharger as the subject line suggests, but you need to consider the engine. I don't really see why 93 is required (if that is using the North American rating). JRSC was calling for 91, which is what most forced induction cars are tuned to run on. MINI interestingly can run on 89. Octane relates to early detonation qualities, and by packing more fuel and air into the cylinder, you want to make sure that it does not explode early. Your ECU does adapt to ignition quality to both preserve the engine and minimize emissions. It should be able to handle 91 AKI without issue.
Spdbump likes this.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear Ö but no one can tell who is charging whom!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I think you'll be okay with 91 octane, but use Top Tier gas, and try to find 93 octane. I actually bought some "Race Gas," yes, that's the name. It's expensive but you don't need much to increase octane to the level you need, just in case you can't find any high octane. See how it runs with 91 if no 93 available. For the most part, I go to the same gas station, and plan my fill ups or top offs accordingly, but on long trips, I usually don't have any problem finding 93 octane.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:22 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School2 View Post
The technician who will do the work told me I can only use 93 Octane gas once the Supercharger is in place......
Oh, good, another idiot grease monkey who subscribes to Motor Trend. Ask him how all the current supercharged and turbo-supercharged engines you're surrounded with are surviving. Current engine controls monitor ping, and will adjust to compensate. You can get away with a tank of 89 with no consequences. You aren't running that much boost, or you'd macaroni your connecting rods.
It's always more stress to supercharge an engine. That's why you don't get all that much boost from add-on chargers, the engine wasn't built for it and the people making the superchargers know about it.

Don't panic.
Spdbump likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:01 AM

Garage
E10 is no problem.

Per the SC manual, use 91 or better. Like Defiant mentioned, the ECU will protect the engine if you get stranded with only 89, but I'd stay off the boost until that situation got corrected.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
And if you find yourself west of Waukesha or north of Washington counties, take the opportunity to fill up at Kwik Trip with ethanol free premium. Many BPs and Shell stations outside the big metropolitan area offer it as well, but they charge quite a bit more. Do yourself and your car the favor and leave the city every so often, if for no other reason than to enjoy the drive and scenery.
litz and Spdbump like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the info!

I'm not sure what "top tier" means. I know that Qwik Trip advertises that their gas is "top tier". Are the "major brands", such as Shell, Speedway, BP, Marathon... all top tier?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
You should have no issue at any of those. Clark stations have been known to have quality issues in the past, Don't know if that's still relevant. And I tend to avoid Citgo stations whenever possible, but that's more political bias than any other reason. As far as The Mom and Pop shops go, only their owners know the fuel source, and some don't really.
Eddie70 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School2 View Post
Thanks again for all the info!

I'm not sure what "top tier" means. I know that Qwik Trip advertises that their gas is "top tier". Are the "major brands", such as Shell, Speedway, BP, Marathon... all top tier?
In general, I view Shell and Marathon as top tier, but this link will give you more/better information:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode