Newbie: What is best DIY performance mod? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Newbie: What is best DIY performance mod?

Fellow drivers,

This is my first post, so please be gentle...

I would like to know if there are any Do-It-Yourself upgrades/Mods for the CR-Z which can improve "high-end" performance. The CR-Z seems to have fairly good "low-end" performance (starting from a stop) due to the IMA motor. However, when I am on a 2-lane road and need to pass quickly, downshifting just doesn't seem enough. From posts here, there seems to be 3 general types of mods (improve cold air intake, exhaust, or a supercharger) but I don't know how approachable these mods are for someone without access to a hydraulic lift or specialty tools.

I have done basic maintenance (oil changes, bulb replacement) and some simple mods (LED lighting, direct wiring for GPS, etc) but welding is beyond my current abilities.

If all such mods require advanced skills, would I contact the dealer or search for a specialty car shop?

I have a 2011 CR-Z, 6 speed manual, which is basically stock.

Any constructive suggestions are most welcome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:51 AM

I'd say two things:

The Fit Manifold transplant, and a muffler delete.

I've done both on my 6MT 2011, and they make a pleasantly noticeable improvement at 3k rpm and above. Both are easy to do at home with basic tools, and can be easily put back to normal if you want.
DJCRZed99 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response! I will certainly look into these changes.

By "muffler delete" do you mean to swap a plain exhaust pipe for the existing muffler? Is there a thread here with more details?

I found some threads here for the Fit Manifold transplant, and so I can dive in to that project...

Thank you again for the reply!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I haven't done the Fit manifold transplant, since I've gone the supercharger route, but think it might be helpful to send the throttle body to maxbore.com to have it upgraded (unless @Letstakeawalk has found any negatives in doing so....)

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Fellow Drivers (esp. Letstakeawalk),

I've been trying to follow threads on the Fit manifold transplant and I'm having trouble sorting things out. It seems like I can't get some (most) of the pictures to load.

Could someone please send me a link for ordering the part? Is there also a link to a step-by-step install? I found a "text only" list. Will I need a service manual for the CR-Z 2011 6 speed manual transmission? Where could I get that?

Sorry for all the questions... I'll keep digging, but any help is surely appreciated...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:03 PM
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Welcome!

The photos will be hosted by Photobucket, which decided to end embedding support on other sites about a year ago. So unfortunately, you will not be able to retrieve those.
Maybe someone else who has done that mod can provide photos if you post a request on that thread.

Me, I went supercharger as well, which is the ultimate answer to upper end zoom. Not cheap, and only DIY if you are really into taking things apart. That said, my friend who fits that description did it with my interference (I'd like to say "help", but I'll use his word instead).

There is a link for a downloadable service manual here somewhere. I don't have it anymore but believe it is still available. I have the actual books which I could sell you (I've sold the car), but they are heavy so shipping would probably be more than they are worth. Unless you happen to be in Ontario, Canada and want to go for a drive to pick them up.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear but no one can tell who is charging whom!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School2 View Post
Fellow Drivers (esp. Letstakeawalk),

I've been trying to follow threads on the Fit manifold transplant and I'm having trouble sorting things out. It seems like I can't get some (most) of the pictures to load.

Could someone please send me a link for ordering the part? Is there also a link to a step-by-step install? I found a "text only" list. Will I need a service manual for the CR-Z 2011 6 speed manual transmission? Where could I get that?

Sorry for all the questions... I'll keep digging, but any help is surely appreciated...
There is a DIY thread on the fit manifold transplant. I believe page 10 of that thread has a picture of how that part attaches to the manifold and the throttle body. Basically its 12 bolts (10 @ 12mm and 2 @ 10mm) and the MAP sensor (remove and replace). Easy on and off thing...no service manual needed...just make sure you get the gaskets. The part I ordered came with all of them....just had to put them in the holes and tighten the bolts down. Don't discard anything until you are sure you don't need the part.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Elite Member

Garage
if you don't mind the noise, a less restrictive intake and exhaust would be the quickest and easiest mods to get a little more pep in the upper revs.

i would look at getting a Ktuner which honestly would be the best thing you can do before you start looking into forced induction (and if you start changing the throttle body size or intake manifold).

here CR-Z ? KTuner, LLC
DJCRZed99 likes this.

'13 CRZ - PWP EX 6MT
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-Z Canadian View Post
Welcome!

The photos will be hosted by Photobucket, which decided to end embedding support on other sites about a year ago. So unfortunately, you will not be able to retrieve those.
Maybe someone else who has done that mod can provide photos if you post a request on that thread.

Me, I went supercharger as well, which is the ultimate answer to upper end zoom. Not cheap, and only DIY if you are really into taking things apart. That said, my friend who fits that description did it with my interference (I'd like to say "help", but I'll use his word instead).

There is a link for a downloadable service manual here somewhere. I don't have it anymore but believe it is still available. I have the actual books which I could sell you (I've sold the car), but they are heavy so shipping would probably be more than they are worth. Unless you happen to be in Ontario, Canada and want to go for a drive to pick them up.
How much did the super charger cost you, and why did you decide to sell the Cr-z?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in