Should I Save for mods... - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Should I Save for mods...

Yo! The CR-Z is my first car, and well I love it.

I would like to mod the car, but I'm still just in my first year of university, and car insurance takes all my money ($500 monthly :/ )

I've been looking into the HPD supercharger, mainly because the ECU is reflashed by Honda, and if the install is done at a dealership it'll have warranty.

But here's the thing, what are the chances of getting this for a 2011 6MT in 4/5 years? would it even be worth it by that time? I was thinking of getting a SRI, but if my plan is to get HPD'd I would want to save up to that.

I'm also wondering about what kind of coilovers I should get... The car handles well now, but with some coilovers it's performance will be pretty good. I'd take it to a track. I'd be trying to install them myself to save $$$

Well, I would love some advice! Should I wait the years, or just have it as a dream that won't come true :O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
If insurance is already taking most of your money than the answer is no mods until you can afford them.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Don't worry about the HPD supercharger NOT being available in 4-5 years--I'll let you know what the latest # is the next time I talk to them, but I was under the understanding that there were 100 made/available, and perhaps no more than half that number sold so far (again, speculation, but I'll find out the answer for you.) It may be possible that one comes up for sale by someone who need the money more than that supercharger they bought, so just keep an eye out for that and other mods that people sell because they're selling their car (for a family van,) or it gets totaled (ugh.)

Point is, it's best to save and have the extra money for ANY mod you get for your CR-Z, since it's all money down the drain if you end up needing to sell the car for cash or a larger car, etc. My advice, but you might look at my build and see all the extra parts and money I have in my build, and realize that I have not put an extra penny into mods for a car in decades--until I got the CR-Z--literally. When I was your age, I did put some mods in my '84 CRX and kept the car for 15 years, so I got my money's worth out of it.

Car was paid off in full before I spent any money on it other than normal maintenance/upkeep. Since then, I've had a savings account JUST for CARS, that was equal to the CRX's car payments at the time--putting that amount into an account each month for "cars," so I was able to pay cash for the next, and the next, and the next car, until I'm in the happy position that I'm an old fart that has enough money in the car fund to cover the cost of any and all mods I could possibly need/want to do, and still live a life that's not paycheck-to-paycheck.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Super Duper Member

Shamarskii, As you have seen me say a lot in this forum make a priority list of what you want including a budget with at least 10% over what things cost for unexpected issues that come up. Try to avoid buying things and then selling them you never get all the money back if you factor in your time.

Do your research but do not do anything till the car is paid off. You have mentioned both a forced induction system and a coil over suspension system. If you make your priority list ( with a budget) you can plan it all out. If your insurance is taking all of your money then 'No Modifications for you" till your insurance comes down or you are out of college with no other debt. Be smart always be one car payment and one car insurance payment ahead do not risk being without the car or without insurance.

The Speed Bump has some low cost "modifications" I have added but I also negotiated the price of the car down and my interest rate is low. I always pay my insurance in full and currently my car loan payments are made till January of 2018.

Not everyone can do this but just make sure your bills are paid in full and early if you can. Be careful how you handle your other expenses. Never ever carry a balance on a credit card. Pay all credit cards in full every month. If you can't pay for it do not buy it.

Sorry to be harsh but if someone had given me the same advice early in my life my situation might be better today.

Great first owned car. My first cars were cars I borrowed from family or were hand me downs then I bought my first car and got ripped off then wrecked it. Just be careful and I hope my advice helps.
Hootie, MisterJordy86 and DCsCRZ14 like this.

Last edited by Spdbump; 06-11-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

I'll be graduating in 3 years, so 4/5 years is kind my goal to start purchasing. You all have a point though, that should only be done if my life is set up... not if I have the money, but still have things I owe/debts to pay.

By then, I'll be 21 and since I'm a guy, my insurance would still be pretty high.

@Spdbump it's not harsh, lol. That's the kind of advice that goes beyond simple car parts.. that's a life lesson.

@litz thanks ahead of time if you find out how many is left. Right now I make a fair bit of change (summer months), and I don't use my savings account.. I could probably put a little money in there over time for car parts. (I keep everything between checkings and TFSA)
15 years is a long time... I hope I can keep the Z for that long, if not longer.

So save entirely pretty much... alright cool cool!
litz and DCsCRZ14 like this.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamarskii View Post
Thanks guys!

I'll be graduating in 3 years, so 4/5 years is kind my goal to start purchasing. You all have a point though, that should only be done if my life is set up... not if I have the money, but still have things I owe/debts to pay.

By then, I'll be 21 and since I'm a guy, my insurance would still be pretty high.

@Spdbump it's not harsh, lol. That's the kind of advice that goes beyond simple car parts.. that's a life lesson.

@litz thanks ahead of time if you find out how many is left. Right now I make a fair bit of change (summer months), and I don't use my savings account.. I could probably put a little money in there over time for car parts. (I keep everything between checkings and TFSA)
15 years is a long time... I hope I can keep the Z for that long, if not longer.

So save entirely pretty much... alright cool cool!
Thank you for taking it the way I meant it. Your other goal is to graduate college with the Highest GPA you can with your degree being in something that will allow you to get the income you need to modify your CR-Z the way you want( after you have made yourself debt free and have a good healthy life)
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Shamarskii, As you have seen me say a lot in this forum make a priority list of what you want including a budget with at least 10% over what things cost for unexpected issues that come up. Try to avoid buying things and then selling them you never get all the money back if you factor in your time.

Do your research but do not do anything till the car is paid off. You have mentioned both a forced induction system and a coil over suspension system. If you make your priority list ( with a budget) you can plan it all out. If your insurance is taking all of your money then 'No Modifications for you" till your insurance comes down or you are out of college with no other debt. Be smart always be one car payment and one car insurance payment ahead do not risk being without the car or without insurance.

The Speed Bump has some low cost "modifications" I have added but I also negotiated the price of the car down and my interest rate is low. I always pay my insurance in full and currently my car loan payments are made till January of 2018.

Not everyone can do this but just make sure your bills are paid in full and early if you can. Be careful how you handle your other expenses. Never ever carry a balance on a credit card. Pay all credit cards in full every month. If you can't pay for it do not buy it.

Sorry to be harsh but if someone had given me the same advice early in my life my situation might be better today.

Great first owned car. My first cars were cars I borrowed from family or were hand me downs then I bought my first car and got ripped off then wrecked it. Just be careful and I hope my advice helps.
Wise words my friend, I wish I could tell my 18 year old self that lol 😂
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZJay View Post
Wise words my friend, I wish I could tell my 18 year old self that lol 😂
Thank you for the props! Trust me it took a long time for me to realize all I mentioned. I never carried a balance on credit cards but I also never believed people who say never use them. By paying things ahead and paying in full every month even when I was unemployed my FICO score was high and I could negotiate the 1% rate on The Speed Bump's loan. I make very little but I currently ( according to my Discover bill) have an 850 FICO score.

My goal is to pay the Speed Bump off, then have the paint correction done it needs and keep the payments going in a separate account( like Litz) to pay for things to keep The Speed Bump happy and on the road for years to come.

As I have said before The Speed Bump is an only vehicle ( I even disposed of my bicycle I had for decades) it needs to work well and be on the road for decades.

Thank you again for appreciating my advice. I hope to help others both with life advice and the more practical advice about how to negotiate when you buy a car.

This forum is my only presence on the Internet and I appreciate the fact it is not as contentious as other places.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Very well put Spdbump, almost the exact mindset I had when I budgeted my first car's build at 17.

Shamarskii... Definitely look into what your current budget is, your long term goal is for your vehicle, as well as what ideal or key modifications you want to do as you go for said goal. Also if possible, don't put yourself in a situation were you are cheating yourself out of money by doing conflicting modification like doing a short ram/cold air intake and later doing HPD or even the Jackson Racing S/C. That SRI/CAI will not work with the S/C and potentially be a little bit of a financial loss if you sell it later. Same goes if you want to eventually coilovers and decide to go for lowering springs before hand.

Whatever you can comfortably save up in your monthly budget, toss right into your bank account that has the MOST monthly interest. Why? Interest over time will help you build up a few extra bucks for your modifications over time even if its a few coins a month... Pennies turn to nickles, nickles to dimes, etc. (I'm not familiar with Candian currency to be honest, point stands though) depending on amount in the account and interest rate of course. Also be mindful that you do have to have some room for routine maintenance!

Make a list (I would HIGHLY suggest using Microsoft Excel or similar for this since you can use "SUM"a functions to tally everything up) with the retail price marked up 10% and even put the part numbers down.

This way you can easily compare at any time if you check on your desired part to see if prices have fluctuated or if you stumble upon said part used and want to verify if its a deal or not. Also, take into consideration whether YOU will be doing to part installation or a shop because install labor is something that some people may forget about when budgeting. If you have access to install labor times, put the time as a note as well. Even take note of general sales trends that various companies put out throughout the year, even follow them on social media to keep track of said sales and possible give-a-ways/discounts. This tactic alone saved me at least 300 bucks when buying a replacement new Rotrex S/C for my Fit during Kraftwerks/Skunk 2's memorial day sale AND I got free shipping!

And finally goals... Since you said that you are interested in potentially tracking the car (be it road course or autocross), I would suggest if possible to occasionally partake in any events in as close to stock form as possible (excluding DOT 4 brake fluid, recommended but not required... yet) then go for it (assuming that all fluids are good; if not, replace your fluids accordingly). This way you can learn the car AND get a better gauge of what *insert modification(s)* are doing as you progress through your list. In addition to that, you'll be wearing down consumables that are fairly accessible/cheapish to replace since the car is "stock" at this time. If you feel the need to replace the OEM or OEM equivalent part once an item like brake pads or tires once they're spent/wasted, you can upgrade at that point if the consumed item is on your mod list and comfortably within budget since you're already replacing them.

Be mindful if you do the mod-as-you-go tactic though! Something as simple as a 45 dollar brake pad replacement can easily add up to a 300 dollar pad AND rotor replacement due to how aggressive some friction materials wear both themselves AND rotors. I'm speaking from personal experience again, with my Fit when it was my daily autocrosser.

In addition to that, if you happen to stumble across any CR-Z owners/drivers at said events and have an opportunity to pick their brain, ride along, or even the opportunity drive their vehicle then go for it. This way you can experience different modifications and setups they have done to their CR-Z as well as get a better understanding of how different combinations can yield different results.

Anywho... Just my 2 cents, I hope some of it helps.

Best of luck with your studies.
litz, Spdbump, MartyrDan and 1 others like this.

Veni, vidi, velcro... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamarskii View Post
[email protected]litz thanks ahead of time if you find out how many is left. ...
Well, I didn't exactly find out how many HPD superchargers are left, but I got my ECM/PCM back from the reflash this past week, and mine is HPD "024." I can't verify that only 100 superchargers were made/available, but that number still sticks in my mind as the amount produced. I haven't found out for certain (and I forgot to make it a point to ask them at HPD when I talked to them,) but maybe someone has the source of that number, and can chime in here also.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode